Author Topic: Question for the musical instrument makers ?  (Read 12012 times)

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
Question for the musical instrument makers ?
« on: April 08, 2011, 09:46:37 AM »
I have a question about the material that is sold on Stewmac and Warmouth sites. For pick guard material, it is referred to as Rigid sheet PVC or vinyl rigid sheet. Googling brings up every thing, including Stemac's and a number of other music instrument sites that sell it. Most being semi rigid sheets goods for wall covering.

Is it a laminated Sintra type product PVC closed cell expanded foam sheet, or an ABS laminated engraving sheet goods. As that is the only material that seems to have 2 or 3 ply's.

Somebody I know has access to a small pneumatic rotary engraving machine. They have an idea that they can paint with the engraver on the sheet goods, but they need larger size sheet's then is sold as pick guard material. So they can be placed in frames, and for kiddie room light swith plate covers.

And I amusing that when it is sold as a pick guard material it is sold at a premium.

The custom building sites, aren't much help either. As they talk about using floor tile and just about anything else as a pick guard material.
Any suggestions would be appreciated, to cut down the buy and try it learning curve. And they don't have a lot of extra cash right now.
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
Re: Question for the musical instrument makers ?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 10:15:54 AM »
Hi PT

Not quite sure what PVC you want, but I get it from an engineering plastics supplier ... like this lot ..

http://www.directplasticsonline.co.uk/PVC_Sheet.html

Certainly would not suggest you get the stuff from UK..

Might give you a pointer for a US source..

Dave BC
I have a few modest talents. Knowing what I'm doing isn't one of them.

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 10:26:23 AM »
Thanks that is one of types that I have nope I agree with you. The place I get it is so close i get most items the next afternoon  :clap: Being one of those people the only musical instrument that I play is the Ipod I'm at a disadvantage as far as knowing some body that has even a clue around here  :thumbup:

Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
glen

Offline Blade

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 02:56:21 PM »
Check with New Hermes, they sell patograph engravers and also all of the materials I believe for making signs and door plates.

http://www.gravograph.us/engraving-products/Gravoply_1.php

Offline Blade

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 02:59:03 PM »
Are you looking for layered material or fake tortoise shell type?

If they want solid colors G10 may work, G10 is the same as pc board and you can buy a rainbow of colors from knife suppliers.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 03:00:55 PM by Blade »

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011, 07:59:28 AM »
I have the answer to what material that pick guards are made out of. The instrument repairer on another site had some health problems and has just got back on line.
I have a local source for the engraveable 2 and 3 ply plastic material. The biggest problem is if you buy it from the suppliers that cater to instrument makers. They charge a ridiculously high premium cost calling pick guard material. for a section less then 16" long and 10"wide for one color/style one online site wanted $60.00. Which at the  engraving sign supplier would buy a 4'x8' sheet of a two color, 2 ply material.
The same problem as some blade suppliers, overcharging for common material by putting a fancy name on it!  :doh:

It is an ABS or polystyrene material types for the generic colors styles and the more exotic patterns and colors is Branded laminates (secret formula's  :med:)

Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
glen

Offline Jasonb

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2011, 08:29:43 AM »
Missed this first time round, known as gravoply. Wrong side of the pond but this is the type of thing, 4x2 sheets

http://www.gravograph.co.uk/engraving-products/gravoply3c.php

They also have different numbers of plys and materials

Offline Pappy Frank

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2011, 06:21:53 PM »
My youngest son and I have made quite a number of stringed instruments. We found a long time ago that you should probably stay away from any of the comercial venders for intrument material unless it is something like a tunning peg that just can't be bought anywhere else. You would be surprised at some of the places you can find wood for an instrument. Even a board off the side of a 100 year old barn has potential for instrument making.

When you let go of the "normal" way of thinking you can get really creative. For instance I love the sound of Sasafras wood on an instrument. We even went out and cut down a Juniper tree a friend wanted out of the way and sawed it up and after waiting for it to dry it made wonderful and colorful fronts for Mountain Dulcimers and other instruments.

We do not always put pick gaurds on our instruments, but try using a dense hardwood with a Polyeurothane finish on it for pick gaurds. They can be beutiful, and of course unusual. It is a lot of fun too.

By the way, Grizzly sells a lot of instrument making supplies also.

Just a couple of things to think about.

God Bless,
Pappy Frank