Author Topic: New shop, tidy corner!  (Read 9838 times)

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
New shop, tidy corner!
« on: April 24, 2011, 01:40:58 AM »

DSCN0319 by aardvark_akubra, on Flickr

The new 'tidy' corner of the shop.  There is a computer and drawing/designing position on the left with a bookshelf above, I just hope I do not find the vacuum cleaner a nuisance.  The washing machine is MINE,  there is no need to share as this one is only for shop clothes and old towels etc.  Cupboard space above and below I do have to share with things like canned and bottled food and occasional-use appliances.  The sink bench is for all those things that get me into trouble when I use the tub in the laundry for cleaning paint brushes or washing my face when there is cast iron dust in my beard! ::)

From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
Re: New shop, tidy corner!
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 01:52:05 AM »
John,

You are getting as bad as Bernd, showing off all that decadent use of valuable workspace. I could get my whole shop in that corner.

Shame on you.  :hammer:

Just joking of course, I begrudge no person what they have, and if it has been your dream to have it set up like that, then good on you. It looks really well.

John
If you don't try it, you will never know if you can do it.

Location - Crewe, Cheshire

Skype - bandit175

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 02:43:30 AM »
John

Looks like that should work out well for you. Taking all the precautions to stay in SHMBO's good graces. The only thing that I can see is the noise from the central vac and most important of all, wrap the bottom of the central vac drum with foam rubber. When you turn around from the desk and happen to be looking down as you get up that vacuum could give you a nasty bang on the head. This will happen John, ask me how I know. Other than that it is something that I think we all envy. I'm glad to see it all coming together for you.  :D :D

Cheers  :beer:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 02:49:27 AM »
Thanks for the comments John.

I am determined to keep this new shop under control.  It got so bad at the old place it hindered my activities. Other than this 'tidy corner' I am also determined that there will be no low level open shelves, no spaces under tables and cabinets and no machine trollies for sawdust, chips and general rubbish to collect under.  Workbench, cupboards etc will have toe boards so that just a few minutes with the broom will clean the entire shop.

I dont know if I will manage it but I do want a place that is safe and of course a safe shop is a tidy shop.

I think Bernd has much more space than me! :coffee:

BTW, this week I put up a 3.8m x 2.3m garden shed just outside the shop. It is where I will be doing welding and such.  I was out there today doing a little project using oxy/lpg to do some brazing and that seems to be another skill that has faded in the mists of time as all the joins are a terrible mess so much that I am thinking of throwing that project on the heap or cutting it up for the materials stock.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 03:00:08 AM by John Hill »

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 02:50:50 AM »
Hi Don,  the noise wont be an issue as I am the designated house vacuum operative! :med:

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2011, 03:38:37 AM »
Hi John

Looks like your going to have a cracking shop ,must be nice to have a blank canvas to start with  :med:

Rob

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2011, 03:54:45 AM »
It is nice to have Rob, of course a blank checque would be even better! :lol:

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2011, 04:05:17 AM »
 :lol: :lol: :lol: yes getting funding can be a problem  :lol: :lol:

will you have more room in this shop ,compared to your last shop ?

My shop is split ,,, machinery in one ,witch i try to keep clean ,, and the other has welding ,casting and woodworking gear in it .

Rob

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2011, 06:31:53 AM »
Hi Rob
Less space than the old shop where I had a double garage and another garage that was wider than a normal single garage but they were not connected and getting from one to the other required walking through the house which brought, shall we say, 'issues'!  There were two cars in the double garage motorcycles and all manner of stuff cluttering up the single supposedly workshop garage.

At this new house we have a double garage for the cars and 36 sq metres in the shop which opens into the garage when required. I have this tidy area at one end of the shop with a bench against the walls, the lathe, mill and little shaper stand in a row down the middle of the shop and I have cabinets against the other wall and racks along the far wall.

I have 25sq metres of concrete just outside the door for doing really dirty and maybe dangerous stuff and a new garden shed which gives a sheltered area well away from all flammables, you should call by some time, allow about 45 hours for travel time if you dont sleep in a bed on the way..

John

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2011, 08:40:43 AM »
John,

You are getting as bad as Bernd, showing off all that decadent use of valuable workspace. I could get my whole shop in that corner.

Hey, I "resemble" that remark.  :lol:

There's bad things with big areas too. You can store more crap and have less space left over for a shop that would be smaller than your shop Bog's. Go ahead ask me how I know. :palm:

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2011, 05:06:44 PM »
How is the train set going Bernd?  The special room we built for our train set is still full of cartons unopened from the move...... so little time... now that I do not have to go to the office every day things should be happening but somehow the days just flutter by.... :med:

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2011, 05:36:37 PM »
How is the train set going Bernd?  The special room we built for our train set is still full of cartons unopened from the move...... so little time... now that I do not have to go to the office every day things should be happening but somehow the days just flutter by.... :med:

That project is so far down the list you need a powerful spot light to find it.  :lol: But thnks for asking.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline saw

• lucky amateur
    • Svenssons AckordsWerkstad
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2011, 06:12:12 PM »
Wow, I like, I want... :clap: :clap:

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2011, 04:19:20 AM »
Hi John

sounds like your new shop will be great  :headbang: :headbang: remember  :worthless: when you have it all set up  :D

Rob