Author Topic: Amatuer Radio Operator Members  (Read 15045 times)

Offline 75Plus

Amatuer Radio Operator Members
« on: April 27, 2011, 08:10:21 PM »
I am curious as to how many of the members that are "Ham" operators operate HF mobile? I have made an antenna tuning device that I will post if there is any interest.

Joe

Offline 75Plus

Re: Amatuer Radio Operator Members
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 10:55:23 PM »
I haven't been active on HF in about 5 years but I do keep a 2 meter rig hooked up for an occasional contact. Back when I was running HF mobile on a regular basis, using base loaded "Ham Sticks" I came up with a way to add impedance matching to go along with tuning for the favorite portion of a particular band. With mobile antennas, especially 40 and 80 meters, you need all the help you can get. I think I will get a few pictures and do a write-up on it. Some will no doubt find it of interest.

I have been NØFNF for over 25 years now.

Joe

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 03:22:20 AM »
I have a full licence but cannot use it for medical reasons but always interested in what is about.

Peter G0PAH
I am usless at metalwork, Oh and cannot spell either . failure

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 05:09:36 AM »
I used to operate HF mobile, not actually while driving, but I could have if I wanted to.  ZL2AYQ

I used a base loaded whip on the front bumper with an "inside out" roller inductor which I could adjust from the cabin via a system of Bowden cables.  Used a Kenwood TS520, CW mostly.  But I have not touched it for 15 years or so, I still have the transceiver and the licence is still valid so I could fire it up, maybe it might even work!
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline Imagineering

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 08:01:03 AM »
I used to operate HF mobile, not actually while driving, but I could have if I wanted to.  ZL2AYQ

I used a base loaded whip on the front bumper with an "inside out" roller inductor which I could adjust from the cabin via a system of Bowden cables.  Used a Kenwood TS520, CW mostly.  But I have not touched it for 15 years or so, I still have the transceiver and the licence is still valid so I could fire it up, maybe it might even work!

You seem to have crossed my Radar again John, I used to drive the Freyberg High School Transmitter back in the mid '70s  in Palmerston Nth.
It was ZL2AVZ back then, but probably doesn't exist anymore as the School teaches tereo and Political Correctness these days.
No Tech Drawing, Metal or Woodworking anymore, so I guess the Model Aircraft & Radio Clubs are defunct as well.

Murray.

Offline kwackers

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 08:48:14 AM »
My stuffs in the attic. I used to do mainly 2m & 70cm SSB.

G0RBI.

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 02:02:09 PM »
I still have my G1 callsign, but haven't been on air for years. I tended to get more fun out of  :zap: building stuff (to other folks' designs; I wasn't that knowledgeable) than actually using it. Maybe I'll run a long wire down the garden one one of these days and see if any of it still works.

Andy

Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline Swarfing

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2011, 03:51:14 PM »
2E0POZ and always interested in Ham projects

Cheers
Once in hole stop digging.

Offline DavidA

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2011, 04:03:56 PM »
I was a radio operator in the army. Always wanted to get my licence.
So I went to night school and eventually became M1BZD, (allowed on 2 Metre,  phone only)

Then I never used it.

Guess I must have been more interested in the technology than actually conversing.

Strange world,  isn't it ?

Dave.

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2011, 04:44:16 PM »
I was a radio operator in the army. Always wanted to get my licence.
So I went to night school and eventually became M1BZD, (allowed on 2 Metre,  phone only)

Then I never used it.

Guess I must have been more interested in the technology than actually conversing.

Strange world,  isn't it ?

Dave.

You may still be licensed, Dave. Licences are granted for life now, but you have to validate them every 5 years; this lets Ofcom know you're still alive, I suppose. It can be done at http://licensing.ofcom.org.uk/radiocommunication-licences/amateur-radio/   but I don't know what you do if you have already gone over the 5 years without validating. Might be worth a try because validation costs nothing, and you don't often get owt for nowt from a government agency.

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline SKIPRAT

• Gainsborough Lincolnshire England
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2011, 06:11:34 PM »
Well i am guilty of being an amateur radio operator mainly 2 Metres and 70cm bands to those over the pond 145mhz and 440mhz and as for the HF bands i have antennas and equipment for the 10 Metre band and wait in anticipation for the solar cycle to pick up a bit more so i can get some worldwide DX in the bag.

Cheers Paul  73 DE G6FOW
One Mans Junk Is Another Man's Treasure G6FOW

Offline 75Plus

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2011, 08:44:16 PM »
I have accumulated the necessary parts for the impedance matcher. I will put them all together and explain the operation tomorrow. Stay tuned....

Joe

Offline 75Plus

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2011, 08:47:06 PM »
Well i am guilty of being an amateur radio operator mainly 2 Metres and 70cm bands to those over the pond 145mhz and 440mhz and as for the HF bands i have antennas and equipment for the 10 Metre band and wait in anticipation for the solar cycle to pick up a bit more so i can get some worldwide DX in the bag.

Cheers Paul  73 DE G6FOW

Hi Paul,  We use the same terms, i.e. 2 Meters and 70 cm on this side of the pond also. We just change the spelling a bit. :beer: :beer:

Joe

Offline 75Plus

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2011, 10:16:09 PM »
Back to the project. As we hams know, in getting the maximum efficiency from an antenna one has to deal with two elements, tuning and matching. Tuning is adjusting the length of an antenna for the band or portion there of on which you plan to operate. An antenna can be tuned properly, by obtaining the lowest possible standing wave(SWR), but still not be matched. The second element is matching the impedance of the antenna. When one "takes it on the road", operating mobile, there is always trade offs. There are limits to what can be safely and efficiently used in this kind of operating. Even the vehicle, to some extent, governs the type of antenna that can be used.

The most common, and least expensive mobile antennas, have the lower half made from fiberglass and has copper wire wound around it. The number of turns is determined by the band which it was made for. The top half is a stainless steel whip. The antenna is tuned by adjusting the length of the whip. Usually this can get you an SWR of just under 2 to 1 the goal is 1 to 1. Getting there is what this project is about. The impedance still needs to be matched.

About 20 years ago I picked up a box of WWII surplus fixed frequency crystals mounted in FT243 enclosures. I planned to use the enclosure to house an impedance matching capacitor. I needed a way to quickly change this capacitor when I made a band change. This is what I came up with.

This is the drawing that I was working from. Several of the holes are countersunk but the free version CAD program I use doesn't provide for them. The pictures help in this regard.

Here are all the parts ready to be assembled. The brass bit in the center of the top row is the grounding strap for the lower contact. The sockets are made from 10-32 screws that have been bored 1/2" deep with a 3/32" drill. The end of the screw that is still in the nylon block has been drilled and tapped for a 4-40 screw that secures the grounding strap. I used stainless screws but I have made these using brass. Just need to stay away from anything that can rust. The lower right part is 1 1/2 X 3/4" stainless, drilled and tapped 3/8-24 from both ends.

Here you can see the capacitor residing in the enclosure. This one is 330pf which matches 40 meter antenna.

To determine the value needed for a given antenna I stuck a 365pf variable capacitor in an aluminum enclosure and fitted a plug so it could be plugged in to the adapter. Once the antenna is tuned I just remove it and, using a capacitance meter, measure the value and then fit the nearest standard capacitor.

This is how it looks when in use. Seeing a crystal, plugged into an antenna, draws a lot of attention at Ham gatherings. Everyone is trying to figure out what it does and how it does it.

I moved in for a closer look.

Joe

« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 10:23:50 PM by 75Plus »

Offline DavidA

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2011, 02:56:37 PM »
Skiprat,

...and wait in anticipation for the solar cycle to pick up a bit more so i can get some worldwide DX in the bag....

Acording to Spaceweather.com the sun is fair crackling.  Any good contacts ?

Dave.

Offline foozer

• Camano Island WA
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2011, 03:52:52 PM »
I was a radio operator in the army.

Dave.

26L20F5  70-72  good for popin corn in the wave guide

Robert
Ignorance is Bliss, thus I aim for Perfection

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
  • Portadown, Northern Ireland
    • My Photo website
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2011, 10:24:10 AM »
Resurrecting an old thread, but just wanted to add that I just got my Foundation license last week. I haven't got a rig yet, hope to get one in the next week or two, most likely a 2meter/70cm set, then save up for a HF rig.

Tim ( MI6TME )
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe  -  MI0TME

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2011, 12:33:40 PM »
Nice one Tim. Are you planning to do the intermediate licence next?

I enjoyed listening out for the infrequent longer distance SSB call on 2m, I just use to have it on in my workshop monitoring, but other than that, 2m was a "posh" CB !!

Chris

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
  • Portadown, Northern Ireland
    • My Photo website
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2011, 12:55:34 PM »
Nice one Tim. Are you planning to do the intermediate licence next?

I am indeed, my local amateur radio club (MUARC) is running a course and exam starting in Jan 2012, then if I want to go for the full license (which I probably will) they will do the advanced exam on request (but the exam can only be held on pre-arranged dates set by the RSGB)

I doubt if I will be able to reach across the irish sea on 2m to reach you (without some sporadic E help), but if/when I get a mobile rig in the car I could give you a shout when I come over to visit the in-laws (Burnley) :thumbup:

I do seem to remember reading a project log you did on a 40meter set, do you listen/shout out on 40m as well?

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe  -  MI0TME

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2011, 02:23:10 PM »
Hi Tim

Yes, I made a 40m reciever Knole DC RX:   http://www.raynerd.co.uk/?p=514

I did it out of pure interest/enthusiasm when I`d just done the foundation exam but I actually went on to use it as my project for the intermediate exam. In honesty, I think I should have done a project during my intermediate course but with my website, pictures etc, my tutor trusted I had made it and so I actually used it to pass my intermediate exam. I`d recommend it, a smart little project.

Yes, I would shout and listen on 40m and 20m, got some decent results on both using a G5RV.

My radios were:
2m – FT-480R for 2m FM and SSB work with a X200 colinear antenna.
HF – FT-747GX, daiwa cnw-518 ATU and half size G5RV.

Went mobile as well with my home made antenna which was good fun as well:
http://www.raynerd.co.uk/?p=546

I got rid of both my radios and I`ll be honest, the main reason was that I needed the money for some machinary! but secondly,  with my HF rig, I got fed up of hitting the same people and the same places. I also got too bogged down in digital signals and linking my radio to my computer which gave me so much hastle that the enjoyment went out of it. When I buy another radio, it`ll definately be a 2m portable rig for a bit of fun calling CQ on my travels.