Author Topic: Introduction: Dutch living in London  (Read 6235 times)

Offline AcieraF3

Introduction: Dutch living in London
« on: April 28, 2011, 05:42:31 AM »
Hi there Modders,

Please allow me to introduce myself to this wonderful forum. I am Teun and at the moment living in London but originally from the great Netherlands. I will be back home this summer and fortunately will be able to machine  again. Living in London was a nice experience but it deprived me from my metalworking (cold-turkey). I am a hobby machinist without proper training so I expect to learn al lot from you all.

I own a Boley 5LZ lathe and a Aciera F3 milling machine, both old, but somehow I like old machines. I am interested in building tools and engines and the projects I was busy with when I left the Netherlands where a two cylinder vertical steam engine (plans and building instructions by Bogstandard (very nice drawings by the way)) and the pressure-controlled IC-engine by Jan Ridder.

The most challenging on both projects were, at least for me, to get a proper fit between cylinder and piston, so I am very interested in how you guys find solutions without very expensive honing tools. Or maybe I am just to perfectionist about it and not able to judge which tolerances are allowed.

Anyway, looking forward to be a member of this forum and learn a lot.

By the way: reading the welcome message and the do's and don't's I was a bit boggled by the fact that RESPECT is one of the DON'T's!! Probably a mistake and meant was Disrespect. Please, see this as my first contribution, I am probably better with language then with machining.

Teun

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
Re: Introduction: Dutch living in London
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 06:15:24 AM »
Teun,

I think where you got the wrong idea from is because we don't go in for hero worship on here, unlike other forums. Everyone is classed the same, whether experienced or not.

We just share what we've got. Even beginners can show old dogs new tricks.

It's OK to give admiring glances and comments when something really is extraordinary or very well done, but not to the point of adoration.

By all means give respect if you think it is due, but for anyone like myself, it isn't really required. Just be yourself and join in when you can.

BTW, the piston valve engine was designed for beginners in mind, and there are very few critical fits required. The only one that springs to mind is the piston valves themselves, they really do need a fairly good fit.

Bogs
If you don't try it, you will never know if you can do it.

Location - Crewe, Cheshire

Skype - bandit175

Offline saw

• lucky amateur
    • Svenssons AckordsWerkstad
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 08:52:17 AM »
Hi and welcome  :wave:

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
  • Portadown, Northern Ireland
    • My Photo website
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 10:01:36 AM »
Hi there and welcome to the club :thumbup:

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe  -  MI0TME

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 12:39:07 PM »
Hi there  :wave:

Welcome to the collective :borg:

I corrected the verbiage in the rules section. Hope it makes sense now!

Would like to see your projects when you get a chance.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline j45on

• My tiny workshop Location Ashford Kent
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 01:56:15 PM »
Welcome Teun  :beer:
Jason

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 06:00:04 PM »
Welcome fellow F3 user  :wave:

I hope we will get to see some of you projects   Teun :poke: :)

Rob

Offline picclock

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2011, 04:13:19 AM »
Hi Teun

If your still around in July there's quite a good model exhibition in Guildford, a fairly short train ride from London.

http://www.gmes.org.uk/rally-2011-info-for-visitors.htm

PM me if you want to meet up or get a lift from the station.

As far as I know there are not a lot of other engineering shows down south between now and then, 

Hope you enjoy your stay here.

picclock
Engaged in the art of turning large pieces of useful material into ever smaller pieces of (s)crap. (Ferndown, Dorset)

Offline AcieraF3

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2011, 11:57:21 AM »
Thanks for all your welcoming reactions. I will post pictures of my projects as soon as I am back in the Netherlands. What I can do is posting pictures of my (restored) milling machine, but I am not sure where to do that. As a teaser just one pic attached.

Picclock: Thx for the tip and the invitation. My son (6 years old) is also very much into trains so this could be a nice opportunity. Our last day in the UK will be the 22th of July so it should be possible. I'll keep you informed

Teun

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2011, 12:24:07 PM »
Hi Teun, as said by the others welcome to the collective  :borg: 

What I can do is posting pictures of my (restored) milling machine, but I am not sure where to do that.

In short, in the craftsman section under new from old .... http://madmodder.net/index.php?board=46.0

There is a description of what goes in each section just under the main heading....
New from Old
Rebuilt something? Re-purposed it? Refurbished?

Hope that helps?

Have fun, see you around the pages.

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2011, 03:37:23 AM »
The most challenging on both projects were, at least for me, to get a proper fit between cylinder and piston, so I am very interested in how you guys find solutions without very expensive honing tools. Or maybe I am just to perfectionist about it and not able to judge which tolerances are allowed.

Hello  :wave: :wave:

I always find this a challange and on my latest Webster Engine, found in the project logs section, I took the advice off a few members on here and try to cut the bore between centres. I found it an excellent method to get a really true and accurate bore, certainly the best I have done. Obviously the cylinder is only as a good as the piston you turn up for it but I think in retrospect, I must be turning a taper on my bores using a boring bar so this method seemed to solve my issues...... either that or I just got lucky this time!!

All the best
Chris