Author Topic: Optimum workshop layout...?  (Read 7804 times)

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
Optimum workshop layout...?
« on: April 28, 2011, 04:19:52 PM »
As I mentioned on another thread, I currently have the opportunity to re-arrange my workshop (due to the curse of having to move it to a new location); and I'm wondering what people's opinions are on an "ideal" layout. I realise that many workshops are constrained for various reasons; and, indeed, there are constraints in my new place; but I'm after ideas anyway...

So.... my current layout is roughly as per this Crap-o-Cad:

The above, being a bit of an "area in the middle of a bigger space" had no convenient walls; there's no shelving & only a couple of kitchen style overhead cupboards. The current space is roughly 25ft long by a bit under 15ft wide, which made for a nice space between machines & benches in which to stand.

The new location is, in some ways, better; as I will have 2 walls on which to mount shelves & cupboards:

The space is a similar length to my current spread (which is great - it means I know I can duplicate my current layout, if I want to); I'd prefer to take up less than 15 ft of length however. I'd planned to put the mill in the left-hand corner, at a 45 degree angle; the lathe along the back wall - basically, very similar to the current setup. I figured this would give me room to put the kitchen units between the two items. The hacksaw I plan to mount on wheels & will simply drag it to where it's needed. The carbide grinder I never use, it will probably end up in storage unless I can get a regular cup abrasive wheel for it. The desk & benches I'd planned to simply follow the walls wherever they'd fit; this would make a very "linear" shop, so I'd plenty of workspace behind for my car project; but is that necessarily a sensible layout? e.g. would the lathe be better being lined up "tailstock pointing at the wall" (90 degrees to its current axis)? That would make it easy to get all around it, for cleaning etc., but would it just be a nusciance like that?

Any/all thoughts & crap-o-cads welcomed :)
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline nickle

Re: Optimum workshop layout...?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 06:47:18 PM »
Without specifically answering any of your questions...

When moving into my new shed I drew the space to scale including location of doors, windows  and power points (you could add lighting if you wanted) and also drew the things I wanted to put in the space to scale (well as rectangular boxes anyway).

For a while I played around in the drawing program trying to arrange them on the screen but in the end I printed out everything and then cut out the furniture and tried the different combinations and locations.

It helped me get a feel for what was feasible and what was no good without lifting bits of heavy gear around.

Cheers,

Nickle

Offline jim

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 12:29:48 AM »
when i built my new shed, it seamed huge, i did scale drawings of everything and thought i'd got loads of room!

now its full and could easily be twice the size!!

Mrs Jim has said i could extend, but the cost/hassle really can't be justified at the moment :( :(

i've used every single bit of wall space, i ended up boarding the roof space out (insulation and it was the only way i'd stop hanging things from beams that then end up dropping on me!)

i think its important to do a scale drawing of each machine, with the working area included, (ie where you stand and reach to).

i look forward to seeing the finished shed (and no doubt a bit of shed gloating will follow!)
if i'd thought it through, i'd have never tried it

Boz

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 03:17:50 AM »
I'm afraid, despite lots of measuring and planning, I've always ended up moving things around as it never seems to work as well as planned. My shop is only 2.8m x 2.4m so when I rebuilt it, I fitted French cleats around the walls and hang shelf units and tool-boards from them. And machinery is on casters, or has "retractable undercarriage". So it is easy to rearrange. I think I'm on the third layout in two years now. Works well for me, and easy to shove stuff around when another toy... err, tool... arrives.

Boz

Offline SemiSkilled

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 10:48:26 AM »
Have u seen this before

http://grizzly.com/workshopplanner.aspx

Lee
You're right, it does look easy when its finished.

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 12:15:07 PM »
Well you've seen what my workshop looks like Ade. Compact might be a good term?!

I can only talk from my knowledge of what I have got and have seen so here goes...

I think even if I had a huge space I would still try to keep the lathe and mill quite close to each other... You often need to transfer work from one to the other so walking 5 paces as opposed to 2 seems a bit silly?

I'd try to get a reasonable distance clear to the headstock end of the lathe too... You might need to machine a 6ft bar one day?  Personally (if possible) I'd have the lathe to the right so that it automatically has such clearance.

The mill in a (left hand if next to the lathe) corner will work as we know. But I'd make sure you could repeat your sump line drilling set up!  Probably the most extreme I've seen in a home workshop!!!

I'd also get the grinder and anything abrasive a reasonable distance from the two main machines for obvious reasons... Of course we with the little workshops can't always choose a good place for these!

Bench.... A very, very rigid one screwed to the wall and floor and with lots of useful storage provided (see all the workshops in "shops" section.... Lots of ideas) you already have the kitchen units for storage of some of the larger items. they seem a good idea.  (I can recommend some relatively cheap tool storage draws if you want?)

I'd also incorporate your tool chest into the bench design. It's not like you're going to have to move it around a lot. Maybe make a space for it at the end of the workbench and then it can be moved easily if you need to?

Also thinking about it, a work table next to (or between) each machine is a good thing too. I have the bench space at the end of my lathe and it's always in use (it's so close to the mill I don't need 2!).

Just a few thoughts.... I will probably have more once you show us some more pic's off the new proposed layout  :thumbup:

Ralph.

I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2011, 04:01:57 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions, etc., so far...

SemiSkilled: I hadn't seen that, and it looks rather fun :) I think I'll be spending a couple of hours on that tonight...

Boz: I like the idea of moveable machinery; unfortunately, I won't have time during the move to sort it out, but it's definitely something to consider retrofitting...  :proj: (uh-oh...)

Jim: I know what you mean about expanding to fill the available space.... worst thing is, I'm downsizing to less than 1/2 the space I had previously, this is proving tricky!

Nickle: Ta, I'd drawn it all up in Visio (rectangular boxes, at any rate), but I'm coming to a similar conclusion to you... then again, time's almost caught me out, I really want the machines moved this weekend...

Ralph: Agreed about the lathe; I've not yet had to machine anything that long, but a couple of times I've had to put a "releasing rod" down the spout to remove a recalcitrant tapered fitting... As I don't have a swarf tray on mine, I'm wondering about leaving a couple of feet between machine & wall, to allow me to get behind it... still not sure on that one. I reckon I've got the space to fit a bench between the machines; I'm hoping to get all those kitchen units between them, then the main bench can go "behind", as it is now.

Anyway, much to think about & mull, thanks chaps!  :nrocks:
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...