Author Topic: Pirate Cutlass  (Read 33329 times)

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
  • Machinist Extraordinaire
Pirate Cutlass
« on: April 29, 2011, 01:21:39 PM »
I've had this project for a few years now. It started life as a gun kit from DGW  It had some problems. Mainly the barrel tipped down so bad that the boolet would have hit the blade shortly after leaving the barrel. I cut the frame, bent it up some, and did a crappy job rewelding it. I got a little discouraged and it went back into the box.

A while later I had it out and I unknowingly dropped the handle off my workbench. Around here things on the floor are fair game for the dogs. The handle was ruined :bang: At this point this is what it looked like. Back into the box.

I think one of the reasons I kept stalling was I didn't really like the way it looked. The shape was off and I couldn't quite put my finger on it. I ran across this Picture and I came up with a plan.

The blade was wrong, the hand guard was wrong, and the handle is too small. I sized the picture on my computer monitor the same size as the pistol. I then traced it onto a piece of paper. I cut off the hand guard and started a new one. Here is the template and the new handguard.

I've reshaped the blade a little and the trigger guard. The way the original grip mounted, was really cheesy. I'm going to make a tang that will screw on and then the handle will mount to it and the hand guard. I'll be using walnut for the grip. I'll cut out my template and use it for a guide to cut out the new grip.

Stay tuned.

Wes :wave:
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
Re: Pirate Cutlass
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 05:47:19 PM »
I hadn't even thought about adding wood to the cutouts. But that would look great and cover up those ugly pins in the side of the brass. I think I'll do it. The grip might get a pewter inlay of some sort. I'll have to think of a neat design to pore into the handle. It will have to be something simple though. I'm cutting out the grip soon. I found a nice piece of wood to use\o/

Wes
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline rleete

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 08:10:31 PM »
I have that same kit, minus the blade.  .32 caliber, I believe.  Mine is semi-finished, and has been that way for years.  I once used it with a pirate costume for haloween, and took some caps with me to scare people.  Think "extra loud cap gun".
Creating scrap, one part at a time

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 08:30:35 PM »
Semi finished is an understatement!!! Mine will probably just be a cap gun too? I might shoot it a little though. I'm getting ready to take some more pictures.
Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 09:45:28 PM »
I managed to get the grip cut out and started to inlet it a little. I have quite a bit to file off! Bit I have a good rasp(o:

I am going to try and get a tang made soon. It will have to be inleted a little more for that.
Wesley P

Offline rleete

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 09:10:48 PM »
Major improvement on the shape of the blade.  Have fun carving out the hand grip.  Try using a drill with one of those rotary rasps, they seem to work well.

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2011, 09:27:37 PM »
I kind of stalled the last couple of weeks. My wife was sick and had to spend a couple days in a hospital out of town. So That kind of "throws a wrench in the works". But, She is out and doing great now, so no worries\o/

I've been thinking about this a lot the last few days. I think I'm going to silver solder a tang onto the back of the receiver. there just isn't enough room to have one that bolts on. So that is what I have planned for tomorrow.

Stay tuned,,,

Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2011, 08:05:10 PM »
I managed to get a tang roughed out. I need to thin it up a little. I decided to just thread it then use some lock-tight to hold the pieces together. I'll try and get that done tomorrow. I left it a little proud so I can file it down flush.

As soon as I get these together I can finish in-letting the grips.

Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 10:16:02 PM »
I managed to get some play time in. I finished in-letting the grip near the frame. I still have the hand guard to do. But It is turning out really great.

I am really excited about how good the fit is that I got. I did most of it in the mill and had had to do a little touch up with the chisels. I was going to drill the screw hole near the end of the tang, but, I think it will be more towards the middle. I think the end will be filed down a little when I start to profile the handle.

It's starting to look like something now. I'll probably start shaping the grips now.

Wesley P

Offline jgroom

• Kansas USA
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2011, 05:17:48 AM »
Very nice Wes.  I love the look of old pistols.

Of course you know you'll have to get a parrot now...   ::)

Cheers

Jeff

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2011, 07:19:10 AM »
And a pirate keyboard for my computer. They have one A and a whole bunch of rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr's  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Wesley P

Offline 75Plus

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2011, 08:50:36 AM »
And a pirate keyboard for my computer. They have one A and a whole bunch of rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr's  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

And instead of pushing the keys down you lift them with a hook!!!!  :clap: :clap:  :clap:

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2011, 09:03:05 PM »
I've spent some time with a wood rasp on the grips.

I am going to inlet the hand guard before I go any farther. I need to shape it some more. I shortened the grip about a half inch also. It feels and looks better I think.

Wes
Wesley P

Offline Jonny

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2011, 05:35:51 AM »
I would have headed it up and inletted before any shaping.
Square edges easier to hold in block format and you can hack way with little fear of the American Black breaking.
The inside of the grip and shape is determined where the inletted guard lies!

Not much to file off there used to have to do it in tool and spring steels to microns. :coffee:

Finished job, the wood should be slightly proud of the action.

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2011, 03:13:48 PM »
I have managed to get the hand guard inleted. I used hand tools for the hole thing. Mainly an old pocket knife.

Here it all is propped up and ready for welding. I tacked it into place, removed the wood, then TIG welded the hand guard into place.

All welded up\o/

Now I can file the frame to shape.

~Wes~
Wesley P

Offline DaveH

• Kempton Park, South Africa
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2011, 09:56:47 AM »
Coming along nicely Wes. :thumbup:

I wish my welding looked that good :doh:

:beer:
DaveH
(Ex Leicester, Thurmaston, Ashby De La Zouch.)

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2011, 10:11:40 AM »
Thanks Dave. My welds used to look pretty bad. Last winter I took a welding class at the local college and my welding was very much improved. I am using an arc welder with a TIG torch on it. I'd really like to get a high frequency box so I can weld aluminum. But for now I'll have to stick with steel and stainless.

~Wes~
Wesley P

Offline jcs0001

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2011, 02:58:40 PM »
Wes:

Looks good.  Not sure which is scarier - the blade or the barrel.

John.

Offline johnbaz

• My Flickr
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2011, 09:24:03 AM »
Hi Wes

That's a fantastic job :clap:

My two favourite 'collectables', knives and guns  :thumbup:

I attempted to make a cutlass over twenty years ago, it started life as a piece of packing at work so I used Oxy Acetylene to heat it up and drew it out then shaped it on an anvil with a hammer!!

It was finished by hand with files and the, emery cloth wrapped around the files (had no power tooles back then   :bang: )

The wooden scales were made of an old hardwood pallet and rivets were of 1/8" barzing rod!!!

I also made a double edged sword out of a sharpening steel, I made a pattern for the hilt and knuckle guard then a mould and poured in molten brass..

Both together..

Cheers, John :beer:

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2011, 07:49:37 PM »
Great job on the cutlass John!!! I really like that. My vise is about done so I'll be back on my gun project in a day or so.

~Wes~
Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2011, 11:27:45 PM »
I've been filing the welds down and contouring the frame. I want the pieces to look like a used bar of soap. All round and smooth. I'm not entirely happy with the way the hammer looks. I haven't decided if I want to cut off the horn and make a new, more elegant looking one. Or try and reshape the one it has? I think it's too far back or something? There is quite a bit of arch ahead of the horn. I'll have to think it over some more....

~Wes~
Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2011, 03:32:42 PM »
The filing is almost done. It looks like Termites have got to the frame? I was thinking I should have champhered the joint a little more.

No worries. I just filed it out and filled it back in with the TIG.

Here is a bottom view of the hand guard. I have a little more shaping to do. But not much.

I was missing a screw and bought a replacement today. As soon as I get the metal work done, I'll finish up the wood work and I'll have a shooter\o/

~Wes~

:wave:
Wesley P

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2011, 04:09:29 PM »
Hi Wes

You sure come up with Dam interesting projects  :med:  ,,,,,,,,,  :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Rob

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2011, 10:13:09 PM »
Thanks Rob!!! I have some pretty cool stuff planned but never have the time. I'm trying to finish some stuff up this winter.

If I can get my projects to cooperate. I found another bug hole. This time in the casting for the trigger guard. Good thing I have a TIG welder:o) I'll get a picture before I plug it up.

~Wes~
Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2011, 08:02:43 PM »
Well I'm still plugging away at this. I'm even threatening to finish it:o) While shaping the trigger guard area I found another bug hole. This time it was in the casting and not in my welds :D

Here it is plugged up. It was pretty cold in my shop and my welding helmet fogged up right when I struck the arc. so I couldn't see real good. I boogered it on a little thick but I can file it back down pretty easily.

Won't be long now\o/

~Wes~   :wave:
Wesley P

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2011, 04:02:39 PM »

If I can get my projects to cooperate.

~Wes~

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Wes  i know how that one goes  :Doh:

This is a truly madmodder project ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,  :med:

Rob

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2011, 02:05:04 AM »

If I can get my projects to cooperate.

~Wes~

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Wes  i know how that one goes  :Doh:

This is a truly madmodder project ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,  :med:

Rob

It certainly is!  :clap: :clap:

Quietly enjoying....... :thumbup:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2011, 06:44:48 PM »
I'm glad people are enjoying this. Today I managed to get the handle mounted onto my pistol. I also managed to bust off one of the brass screws I was using to mount it with. I had to mill it out bigger and turn a wood dowel to fill the hole and glue it in. I'll try and finish shaping the handle tomorrow.

~Wes~
Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2011, 12:03:26 PM »
Before starting the shaping I put a piece of electrical tape on the receiver. This was my gauge to stop filing/sanding. It worked out great!!!

I filed/sanded the wood down where the hand guard is inletted also.

I then shaped and blended everything together. First I filed it close then I sanded it the rest of the way down. I'm using emery cloth glued to a board with great results.

After I got it sanded down where I wanted it I mopped on some denatured alcohol. This raised the grain and cleaned out the pores. I then sanded it down again. I did this several times until the little feathers quit coming back. The wood is almost shiny now.

Later,

~Wes~

Wesley P

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2011, 04:43:22 PM »
Hi Wes

Whats sort of finish will you be going for on the steel parts ?

Rob

Oh  ,,,, daft question ,, can you walk down the street with it  ?  :D

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2011, 05:25:58 PM »

Oh  ,,,, daft question ,, can you walk down the street with it  ?  :D

Rob,

Yes he could, BUT, and there is always a BUT, I think those guys with the badges and guns that have those funny cars with lights on them would have something to say.  :scratch:  :(  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2011, 06:13:58 PM »
I am going to heat blue the hammer and the rest of the metal will just be polished. I was going to blue it, but have changed my mind. I don't want the metalwork to be hid by anything.

This will mainly be a "wall hanger". But I could carry it if I wanted to. It is a black powder weapon and considered antique ordinance. There aren't many laws on them. But you can "open carry" any modern weapon down the street. As long as it's not concealed with out much trouble. Stay out of schools, banks, and government buildings. Then, if you have a permit, you can "conceal carry" which is carrying a hidden weapon.

Later,

~Wes~

Wesley P

Offline DaveH

« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2011, 07:05:38 PM »
Wes,

Looks very nice. You have a lot of patience :clap: :thumbup:

DaveH

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2011, 07:16:20 PM »
Thanks DaveH! I'm loosing patience again with this one. But I need to finish it up. It's been in the works for several years now and deserves a place on the wall.

There has been a ton of sanding and smoothing done and I only have a little left. I've been using hand tools for nearly all of it. Power tools would really speed things up but I'm going to stick with the hand tools till it's finished.

Thanks for watching :wave:

~Wes~

Wesley P

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2011, 12:20:55 PM »
 :lol: :lol: :lol: Cheers Bernd ,,, just though i would ask  :Doh:   

Wes ,,,,,,,,,,, have you ever done any Rust bluing ? 

Rob

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2011, 07:22:36 PM »
The only coloring I have done Rob is browning and cold bluing. I liked the way the browning looks, but I don't like applying it. The cold bluing I've used is a piece of cake as long as the part is clean.

~Wes~
Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2011, 07:28:00 PM »
I've got a question on this build. There are a couple little eyes that hold the ram rod. They are supposed to fit into a couple of dovetails in the barrel. Are these supposed to be a press fit? Or make them snug and silver solder them into place?

Thanks,

~Wes~
Wesley P

Offline rleete

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2011, 08:11:10 PM »
The directions I had said to stake them in place with a punch.  That's didn't hold very well, so I soft soldered mine in.

Offline 75Plus

« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2011, 08:20:45 PM »
I've got a question on this build. There are a couple little eyes that hold the ram rod. They are supposed to fit into a couple of dovetails in the barrel. Are these supposed to be a press fit? Or make them snug and silver solder them into place?

Thanks,

~Wes~

Wes, The old guns had handmade dovetails, cut with a three cornered file with one side ground smooth. The rings were made first and the dovetails were fitted to them.

As to the finish, bluing had not been invented during the period your weapon represents. Brown, as in controlled rust, would be the proper finish. I once had a browning recipe that called for burying a gun barrel in the dirt floor of a smokehouse for a week to get a good start.  :loco: :loco:

Joe

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2011, 11:01:09 PM »
Sorry for the delay in responding. My home computer died on my. But a friend managed to revive it\o/ I think I'm going to try and stake them first.

I'll try and get a few pictures uploaded soon. I've done quite a bit since I was here before. I cut 3 very shallow rings near the muzzle then brazed over them. I then turned it back down. The affect is very nice. I've also hand sanded all the nicks and dings out of the hand guard, hammer, and trigger guard. I still have the blade to do. It's getting closer\o/

Later,

~Wes~

Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2011, 06:23:19 PM »
I put everything back together so I could show my Dad this weekend. It took 5 or six hours to get the blade filed down and cleaned up. What a job!!! But it sure turned out nice!!!!!

Here is a better picture of the hand guard.

I turned three shallow rings and filled them in with brass. Even though there are a couple bug holes in the brass I'm very happy with the results.

Getting closer\o/

~Wes~
Wesley P

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2011, 07:07:43 PM »
That's one nice piece of looking pirate cutlass you have there Wes.  :bugeye:  :thumbup:

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2011, 02:04:33 AM »
It's all blending together nicely Wes!  :clap: :clap:

Hope your Dad was impressed.......  :thumbup:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2011, 02:25:01 AM »
That turned out very nice Wes:------- good job  :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2011, 03:34:41 AM »
Thanks guys!!! It's still not done yet. I'm thinking about making some brass  panels to fill in the sides. then I'm planing on doing a little simple engraving. And I still have to shape and install the ramrod eyes. Oh, The horn on the hammer needs a little bit of grip added. It's smooth now.

Later,

~Wes~

Wesley P

Offline DaveH

« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2011, 05:13:27 AM »
Wes,

Mighty fine, looks terrific. :clap: :clap: :clap:

DaveH

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
  • Portadown, Northern Ireland
    • My Photo website
« Reply #46 on: November 25, 2011, 05:41:09 AM »
Very nice looking work there, Wes  :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe  -  MI0TME

Offline jgroom

• Kansas USA
« Reply #47 on: November 25, 2011, 11:29:00 AM »
Wow!  :clap: :clap: :clap:  Looking good Wes!!  :headbang:

Cheers

Jeff

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #48 on: November 25, 2011, 03:06:37 PM »
 :D :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: looking mighty fine Wes  :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Nice one ,,Rob  :thumbup:

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2011, 05:22:56 PM »
Thanks again for the compliments. :mmr:

Earlier I found some pictures of guns that had the barrels "coned" after the coning the muzzle was decorated with a little file work. I thought it was pretty neat and wanted to try it out. I first layed out my design with a black sharpie.

I then cut out the nicks with a triangle file. Then I cut out the half circles with a round smooth file.

I had to cut off the smooth ends of the files. This worked out pretty good and I am happy with the result.

Now I didn't cone the barrel on this one. I just filed the decorations into the muzzle. Coning involves using a tappered mandrel that you wrap emery paper around. This is twisted around making the bore, ever so slightly bigger, near the end. This allows the ball and patch to be started easier while loading.

Later,

~Wes~

Wesley P

Offline 1hand

« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2011, 08:38:37 PM »
That turned out great :beer:

I would look real good with that......with my hook and all :scratch:

Matt

Offline DaveH

« Reply #51 on: December 05, 2011, 11:02:29 AM »
Wes,

Nice finishing touch :clap: :clap: :clap:
DaveH