Author Topic: Checking in  (Read 6216 times)

Offline Mustang

Checking in
« on: December 03, 2008, 10:52:37 PM »
Just registered. Thought I'd post a few tidbits about myself. Retired USNavy LDO (explains the Mustang handle). Hobbies include model engine building (novice), flatwork , woodturning and a host of other things that allows me to escape most Honey do lists.  Live in northern Va and try to spend the winter in Fl., at least the coldest months.  Have a shop with both metal and woodworking equipment.

This looks to be a good site with multiple interests so hope I'll fit in.

Andy

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Re: Checking in
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 11:02:56 PM »
Hey Andy!

Glad to have you aboard. I have been thinking about adding a wood shop as well to the board. I do have an interest in wood as well... Just not very good with it.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 01:10:24 AM »
Hi Andy and welcome.
Novice or not don't be shy in showing your work....I'm sure many here would be interested inc me...

Regards
Darren
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2008, 04:45:09 AM »
Andy

Welcome aboard. If you haven't figured it out by now  :mmr:.

No matter what your interests I bet they will find some place to fit it in. You sound like most of the people here. Too many things you want to do and not enough time to do it in. Join the club.

Cheers :)

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

bogstandard

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2008, 06:17:56 AM »
Andy,

A very warm welcome to one of the most diverse sites you will encounter.

Maybe a few pointers from yourself will get me over my hangup with anything that grows out of the ground.

I loathe working with wood, but when forced to, I attempt to make a reasonable job of it. I think maybe it is because I tend to use metalworking machines to cut and shape it that causes the most problems.

John

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2008, 09:57:31 AM »
Welcome Andy,

I'm a bit of a wood worker to. I am building the wifes kitchen using cherry lumber my father-in-law lumbered about 10yrs. ago. As a matter of fact I'm working on the pantry right now so the metal working projects are taking a back seat.

As Don said  :mmr: because of it's deversity. Hope you like it here and stay for a long while.   :D

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline Mustang

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2008, 11:08:15 AM »
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. I hope to visit the site frequently and post somethings that may be of interest to the group.

John - The attached could be turned on a metal lathe. It's about 2.5"s wide and 3.75"s tall. The wall thickness is about 1/8" thick and weighs about 3.5oz. Make from red gum burl from AUS and the collar is ebonized cherry.  Can make a lots of points with the SWMBO by making a few of these. :)

Andy

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2008, 05:24:20 PM »
Welcome aboard Andy, nice of you to drop in .......... just stop by for a chat and pull up a chair anytime  :thumbup:

CC

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2008, 07:23:00 PM »
Hi Andy, Took my time I know, but I do like to make an entrance.... TA DAAA!!!  :D

Well ok, I was out enjoying myself at work, the pub and the shop... In that order! :)

I'm sure by now you feel quite welcomed and have thought about what you are going to post and how to present your works... Personally I just plaster the threads with them and hope for the best  :thumbup:

Speaking of your works... What exactly is the shiny wooden artifact?

Have fun, and please post more pic's of your works etc.   :)

Oh and as if you didn't already know....  :mmr: Oh yes....  :mmr: indeed  :thumbup:

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

bogstandard

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2008, 07:25:59 PM »
Andy,

Making one of those is no trouble for me at all, I could do it blindfold and in the dark, as long as it was in metal.

The only time wood and myself would get on well together, will be when I am inside it, and six feet underground.

I was hoping you might have some magic tricks that just might get me on equal terms with the damned stuff.

Mine turns out like the bottom off a Samurai's wooden sandle, not the luscious smooth works of art other people can come up with.

You can now see why I always go for metal bases for my engines. Wood does them no favours at all.

John

Offline Mustang

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2008, 01:35:58 PM »
Ralph - That little artifact is called a hollow form and is usually made of some type of exotic wood. Interior decorators use them as accent pieces when outfitting a home.

John - I've admired your work since I first saw it. Also copied your little book and use it as a traing aide.

Cheers,

Andy