Author Topic: Where do you have your computer  (Read 5581 times)

Offline Anzaniste

Where do you have your computer
« on: May 25, 2011, 07:15:43 AM »
I can see when I log on that I have spent over 43 hours in front of my computer following this web site since I joined.  I do enjoy it  enormously. However I could have spent more of that time making swarf. My computer is in the house and it is dead easy to slip into a couple of hours general surfing. I am beginning to wonder if the computer was in the shed would I spend as much time surfing or would the tools lure me from the screen?

Where do other folk have their computers in relation to their workshops and do they also feel guilty at time spent in front of the screen rather than time on the bench?
Scrooby, 1 mile south of Gods own County.

Offline Imagineering

Re: Where do you have your computer
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 07:55:03 AM »
Umm . . . Which one  :D
Main Desktop, Quad Core, 3Tb HDD, 64Bit Win7, with Twin FlatScreens in the Study / Modelling Room.
Toshiba Satellite Laptop, Dual Core, 32 Bit Win 7 in the Bedroom.
Pentium P4 running WinXP Pro and Mach3 for the CNC Mill in the Workshop.
Pentium P2 running DOS and TurboCNC for the CNC Router in the Workshop.
Toshiba Tecra Laptop running WinXP Pro and various Robotics & Arduino Software, currently under my feet.

Guilt - none at all, either way.

Murray.

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 08:27:00 AM »
Two in the shop. I check my e-mail, then MadModder, then HMEM and then it's either to the "honey do list", which is quite long, or start working playing in the shop.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline Anzaniste

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 11:59:27 AM »
Likely the answer you are seeking is all a matter of choice and discipline.

Oh yes I really know that's the right answer but I guess I am just looking for confirmation that I am not the only ill disciplined chap in the world! :coffee: Tea is my other vice.

Offline Troutsqueezer

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 02:44:40 PM »
Working in the industry I also have a number of computers but out in the shop I keep a Netbook for three reasons.

First, it contains around 5K mp3's and connects to the shop sound system (complete with subwoofer) for when I'm in the mood for music.

Second, it has the One Note application from Microsoft on it that I use to capture important information from forums such as this and is related to models I am building at the time. For example, right now I'm in the middle of an Upshur Hit and Miss project and a lot of the techniques and requirements are different from the steam engines I've been building so there is a lot of information I like to have on hand for some of the processes. I also keep the plans for the models on the machine.

Lastly, I have a microscope that hooks up to the Netbook for close examination of finished surfaces.
-Dennis-
Once you see the bandwagon, it's too late.

Offline AR1911

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 04:50:03 PM »
My shop PC has no internet service, so it's not a distraction.
I keep it loaded up with all the machining docs, pics etc I've accumulated over the last several years.
It's my reference library, and my juke box.

Offline Anzaniste

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 06:36:05 AM »
Dennis, One Note eh?
I have that on my netbook but never seemed to get the hang of it.
How do you use it ?