Author Topic: Needless to say... my new shop is not big enough!  (Read 4408 times)

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
Needless to say... my new shop is not big enough!
« on: May 28, 2011, 01:23:49 AM »
We moved into a new house complete with a new shop and other space but of course there is never enough!

However I still have the 20' insulated shipping container I bought years ago as the Lego space and I am thinking of keeping it...  it would be used for storage of various junque and treasure so I do not want any problems with dampness etc.

Now the question is, should I have ventilation? :scratch:
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
Re: Needless to say... my new shop is not big enough!
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 01:54:13 AM »
Supposedly John, containers are sealed units, so the only time you should have problems with dampness is if you let it in, via vents.

If it was me, I would get a couple of dozen silica gel bags (about 1kg each) and hang half of them up inside, near the walls, but not in contact, and have say a couple of months rota, where you swap the bags out for regenerated ones.

We used to have a 20ft container for storing bulk fabric outside at a company where I worked, and the boss had already done that to it before I joined, and we never had any mould or condensation issues with it for the 5 years or so I was there. The spare bags were hung on the radiators in the office block to regenerate them, so they were always ready for swapping over.

Just a suggestion for any easy way out.

John
If you don't try it, you will never know if you can do it.

Location - Crewe, Cheshire

Skype - bandit175

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
Re: Needless to say... my new shop is not big enough!
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 03:36:42 AM »
Thanks John, thats is pretty much my thoughts too but I was thinking of installing one of our, now surplus, dehumidifiers to be run every week or so. :scratch:
From the den of The Artful Bodger