Author Topic: Ok what is this Metal  (Read 8142 times)

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
Ok what is this Metal
« on: May 29, 2011, 01:25:00 AM »
Ok I know it is very difficult to do this but when I bought my lathe I got some material with it, anyway decided to start my first job on the Lathe and some of the material that came with it look ideal as i needed brass about 30 + mm in dia  and this stuff was perfect, the brass has a tinge to it and is as hard as hell even with a new tip  it was very hard work hot or cold the chips come off and look like gold and a bit like bronze to turn the finnish is ok I think I will be able to get it better with time and playing with speeds.it came from a scrap bin  :lol: from somwhere that services helicopter engines and fighter get engines .

Peter
I am usless at metalwork, Oh and cannot spell either . failure

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
Re: Ok what is this Metal
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 03:26:15 AM »
That will be some sort of bronze Peter, what type can only be guessed at, unless there is a stamp on the end of the bar, PB1, PB2 etc.

With reference to the aircraft industry, it would not have been used for that, the controls of metals and materials going into engines wouldn't have allowed it to be used in parts manufacture, they have too stringent a control over that. Maybe it had been used for jig making or some such other use off the aircraft.

John
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 03:30:56 AM by Bogstandard »
If you don't try it, you will never know if you can do it.

Location - Crewe, Cheshire

Skype - bandit175

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 04:34:54 AM »
Hard to say but it is bronze the way it machines it looks like alloy bronze (bronze with aluminium)
I bet a used file wont mark it  :( :( :( :(
John

Offline 75Plus

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 09:18:56 AM »
Titanium?

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 02:39:44 PM »
Unfortunatly I think it is to heavey for Titanium, I got two pieces the same size one a known standard brass and this was by far heaveyer I think it must be as Bogs said bronze.

Can I also thank all the people who mailed me and posted for there support Today, I was was moved by the pm's and posts

Thank you

Peter

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 02:50:54 PM »
Aluminium bronze.
Turns OK but is a total bitch to drill and tap, wants to squeal and break taps.

Uses :- Valve guides,  fingers for steadies, giving to people you don't like with a drawing of a part with thirty seven 10BA holes.

John S.
John Stevenson

Offline DavidA

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 03:19:30 PM »
Rub it on a grinder.  If it is titanium you'll get a shower of brilliant white sparks.

As for ally bronze.  The grade I seem to get usualy turns of in a shower of small chips,  not the curly swarf you show.

Oh yes, if it is ally bronze it won't braze easily due to the aluminium content.

Dave.

p.s.  If you're feeling technical,  make a (very) precise 1 cm cube and weigh it;  also very precisely.  the mass will help to identify it.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 03:26:20 PM by DavidA »

Offline kvom

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2011, 07:07:35 PM »
Might it be beryllium copper, which is used a lot in aerospace?

Offline No1_sonuk

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2011, 07:45:46 PM »
p.s.  If you're feeling technical,  make a (very) precise 1 cm cube and weigh it;  also very precisely.  the mass will help to identify it.
Or do it non-destructively:
Use water in a measuring jug to measure its volume (assuming it's safe in water), then weigh it and calculate the density from that.

Offline bp

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2011, 12:34:37 AM »
I would hazard a guess that its not Titanium, which is silvery grey in colour, a bit like steel only darker.  Obviously lighter in weight than steel as well.
I'm with Bogs its some sort of bronze
cheers

Bill Pudney

Offline krv3000

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2011, 06:34:20 AM »
HI just my 10p worth it cud be led loded brass i worked with that stuf for a time

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2011, 06:03:47 AM »
I took A piece of it to Mr Bogg's , he confimed it was Bronze ,

Boggs now has trained mearcats holding torches to light the way to his work shop, how good is that, I canoot even get next doors cat to stay put long enough so I can get my air rifle out to discorage it from leaving presents  on my Lawn.  :lol:

:ddb: :ddb: Peter  :ddb: :ddb:
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 06:08:21 AM by HS93 »