Author Topic: What do I do with this stuff called wood?  (Read 10882 times)

bogstandard

What do I do with this stuff called wood?
« on: December 14, 2008, 09:30:26 PM »
My neighbour the other day shouted over the fence, 'want some wood for making bases for you engines', not knowing that I hate using the stuff, but rather than refuse and upset him, I said OK.

It is supposed to be something called red oak, and he gave me chunks (and I mean BIG chunks, in fact, 2" thick planks cut in half) of the damned stuff.

I can shape it using my normal metal working techniques, but where do I go from there.

I have all sorts of spirit based stains knocking about, a gallon of sanding sealer from my model boat days, and a few tins of water based acrylic varnish. What do I do with it to get a nice finish on it?

Please, no hoity toity carpenters jargon and techniques, just info to stop it turning out like driftwood, and get it looking almost decent.

John

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
Re: What do I do with this stuff called wood?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 10:30:08 PM »
John,

Is it rough cut or does it have some what smooth surfaces? The problem here is you engine sizes are going to vary and so will your bases. But I would run them through a planer to get both sides nice and smooth. Perhaps you can cut them to varing sizes. Then get a router bit and put on a fancy edge. A bit of sanding and then add your sanding sealer. I wouldn't stain the wood unless you don't like the wood in its natrual color. Then a few coats of the varnish with a light sanding between coats let dry and you ready to mount the engine.

Now, I'm not being funny here, but I wouldn't do that in a cold shop. I believe the temp should be at least around 70 degress F for the varnish to harden properly.

If it doesn't work out for you then use the wood for blocking up machines or something like that.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 02:58:03 AM »
Shellac based sealers give easy and fantastic finished, B&Q has them.....Hardwoods like oak really come up well.

John you have a great gift there  :wave:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

bogstandard

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 04:30:15 AM »
This is stuff that has been sitting outside for a few years to season, and comes in its rough sawn state.

Not having a planer, I can usually get a reasonable finish by flycutting wood, in fact treating it the same way as I do metal, but at faster speeds. It is not the shaping, but the finishing I can't seem to get the hang of.

John

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 04:35:19 AM »
John, do you have a belt sander?

That would work well with this type of wood, give a very smooth finish.
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 04:45:29 AM »
Shove it on the fire and work in comfort with proper materials  :headbang:

John Stevenson

bogstandard

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2008, 05:39:56 AM »
Darren,

I do have a brand new hand held belt sander, but since it's first use, where I ended up with big black burn marks and gouges out of a door frame, it has been consigned to the storage area marked 'BEWARE! woodworking thingies and only use when in dire need'. I think I will try the sanding sealer, followed by a good dose of rubbing down, then something to splat over the top to make it look shiny. But on the other hand, I did get acceptable results when I used epoxy coating on my wooden hulls. I might be able to get it onto the buffer to shine it up a bit.

John,

Great idea, only prob is, the gas fire doesn't like huge chunks of burny stuff being thrown at it.

It wouldn't even cremate the cat. Mind you, he did keep jumping off.

That just gave me a great idea :smart:, hit cat behind right ear with wood first :wack:.

Bogs

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2008, 05:46:20 AM »
John,

Hand belt sanders, I too have one of those, dreadful tools and do exactly as you describe, ruin everything it touches.... :hammer:

However, a bench mounted belt sander is a different animal altogether. The finish you can get with metal is astounding, but of course they work on wood too.

Those rusty parts I cleaned up on that lathe were done on a belt sander, that's how I did it so quick.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 05:49:27 AM by Darren »

bogstandard

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2008, 06:00:56 AM »
I just might invest in one, and see if I can find a bit of space for it.

Bernd, no lack of space jokes please.

John

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2008, 06:17:49 AM »
The ones from B&Q are just fine, it's what I have. Just under a ton.
Save on posage at the same time  :D

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2008, 08:09:01 AM »
The ones from B&Q are just fine, it's what I have. Just under a ton.

Mines nowhere near as heavy as that.

John Stevenson

Offline kellswaterri

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2008, 11:27:55 AM »
I just might invest in one...
John

Hi John...If you are thinking of investing in a bench sander, make sure and get one with a sealed motor...they do not like metal or wood dust in their innards...been there and done it already.
                                                                                                John.

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2008, 11:30:08 AM »
Decent random orbital sander John ............ well Orbital sander and decent quality discs really

This is a good tool and adjustable between 5mm and 3mm orbit (stock removal and finishing)

Metabo SXE450  

Festool are very good, but about the dearest.

CC

Offline Mustang

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2008, 12:47:23 PM »
John

Find a non-woodworking person and give it to him. :clap: On the other hand if you have a fireplace it makes a really nice fire.  Red oak, at least on this side of the pond, is open grain and normally requires a filler before you can get an excellent finish on it.  White oak is a different story, nice tight grain wood.  My father taught me not to work with bad wood.  :hammer:

Cheers,

Andy

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2008, 01:14:44 PM »
Never thought of flycutting wood. Neat concept now that I have Bridgeport that'll get up in the rpm's I'll have to give that a try. Probably best to us HSS tools with a high rake angle.

And I promise no more space jokes.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline Rog02

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2008, 02:20:17 PM »
Bog:

Just like metal fanatics, wood worms tend to gather in groups.  Ask around the shops and see if you can find a local woodworkers club and a contact person for them.  Most of the wood guys are as scared of metal as metal guys are scared of wood and will gladly trade work.  They frequently need things like the pins and sleeves I am making.  Since you have that surface grinder, I can foresee you becoming quite a popular dude, sharpening cutter knives and such.

What you probably need done is a "resaw" operation followed by a trip through a "planer" to bring the material into a standard dimension with straight smooth edges.  If you get lucky and find a well equipped shop they may even have a machine called a "shaper" which is basically a table with a router head mounted underneath.  A "shaper" can be used to cut decorative edges with a great deal of accuracy. 

I agree with the previous postings about the mounted belt sanders being one of the most useful tools in a metal shop.  I bought a 4X36 belt/6"disc sander several years ago (30+ years) and used it daily for everything from deburring tubing cuts to sharpening welding tungstens.  A few months ago I found a 6/48" belt/9"disc industrial cast iron machine for short money and upgraded.  The old 4/36 was sold for about what I paid for all those years ago which was still $5 USD more than I paid for the newer machine.  It pays to watch C-list :coffee:!

As for the hand held belt sanders, I have one as well and use it frequently, to refinish the "brushed" finish on SS counter tops.  Like any other power tool a bit of practice may be required to achieve the required finesse to use it.  Best tip I can offer is to "Keep It Moving" to avoid gouging.  The burned marks you speak of are indicative of a plugged abrasive belt.  An excellent investment for anyone using power sanding equipment is a "belt cleaner stick".  The cleaner is like a LARGE gum rubber eraser, that you simply run across the face of the running belt or disc to remove any debris wedged in the grit.  I have used them for years and they can extend to abrasive life 3 to 5 fold, which can be a substantial cost savings.  Aside from the cost savings, the fact that you can clean the abrasive also means less cross contamination of materials when switching materials from say carbon steel to SS or aluminum.  I am currently buying them from Horrible Fright as I find the cheaper ones they sell to give equal service life to the ones sold through the industrial supply houses.  Whatever the cost, the cleaners are a good investment.

As for woodworking on my metal machines?  AIN"T GONNA HAPPEN!   Yes, it can be done, but the sawdust mixed with way oil is hell on things and terrible to clean off.  The congealed mixture tends to gum up lead screws and eventual will turn to a shellac like substance that will glue everything tight.  Trust me mates, I have restored my fare share of older equipment.  As a matter of fact I actually make every attempt to do any serious wood cutting and sanding outside of the shop just to eliminate the inevitable mess.  When I am required to do wood cutting inside the shop, I rig up the shop vac to suck away the major amount of the sawdust as it is created.

As another respondent noted Red Oak does indeed need a filler to achieve a slick finish.  Talk to local joiners club and I will wager a cuppa they will be able to show you examples of different woods and finishes, so you can get some idea of how to proceed. 

BTW,  Thump and Bump, The Dynamic Duo of Dining and Napping, want me to request that you refrain from the derogatory cat jokes.  If you expect us to refrain from commenting on your outhouse sized shop then please don't make references to animal abuse.
Roger
I'm OLD, I'm TIRED, and I'M GRUMPY!