Author Topic: Alternative to dovetail slide?  (Read 7837 times)

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
Alternative to dovetail slide?
« on: June 11, 2011, 06:12:24 PM »
I need to enhance the rigidity of my radius turning attachment (i.e. ball turner).  If I had designed it properly in the first place it would have dovetails to slid the tool holder to adjust radius.

Now then, if I clamp the two sliding surfaces together firmly and drill along the axis of the slide then fix a rod to one piece I will have a sort of slide. :scratch:

Or perhaps I can mill/shaper** a 'vee' in each and fill the spce with balls? :scratch:

Maybe mill/shaper** a 90degree 'vee' in each and fix a square piece in one? :scratch:

I do not think the balls would add much to the rigidity and although the 'vee's would look more pukka would they really be any better than the rod? The rod of course being much the easiest to manage.

**shaper, verb.
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
Re: Alternative to dovetail slide?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 07:41:07 PM »
Now then, if I clamp the two sliding surfaces together firmly and drill along the axis of the slide then fix a rod to one piece I will have a sort of slide. :scratch:

How straight of a hole can you drill?  :scratch:

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline Jonny

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 07:48:53 PM »
I did just that with my tailstock DRO install.
Half way through the install i decided to allow square spring steel inserts to run on the already cut dovetails in the tailstock casting.

Smooth as silk, no play.

Centreless grinders have had V slides with ball bearings i have a couple of 6ft strips here, but my thinking is less actual contact or surface area and would need to be spread over a longer area to prolong wear. By the way never use grease.

Offline Jonny

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 07:54:26 PM »
As it happens i just had to modify two precision slides each with two rack and pinoin style 1" diameter shafts swaged in to aluminium. Didnt fancy removing but had to.
If you have a dro reckon you could do it. If its out some where you could make the one end adjustable.

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 05:02:43 AM »
I probably don't get original question completely, because I have no radius turning equipment, but I would approach the problem like this.

1) Do you need long continuos movement under load or do can you set this "slide" to correct position and then clamp?
If you clamp it, you need only a small forces then, right? If extreme locational accuracy is not needed I would use consider pin and groove:
* Standard size pin, roller bearing pin etc. Fixed square to the movement. I.e. trough a plate and glued to it. It protrudes a litle.
* other part has a square groove
* This would only locate one axis and prevent parts from twisting out of plane. But would not retain it.

2) If you need precision, or forces are greater, then it's easier to do with line contact. E.g. V-groove vs. rod, but it all depends on forces and which directions they are acting.

I never managed to perfectly square hole between two parts with a twist drill. Got close when I milled a small grove on both parts to clear most of the drill web but only once. I would first drill/ream the hole and saw part in two with a thin saw, but that's not an option here.

Pekka

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 05:38:02 AM »
Thanks for the comments and advice everyone.

I sat and stared at it for a while and decided the best idea will be to cut a slot in it and put a clamp screw on it.

Offline DaveH

• Kempton Park, South Africa
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 07:21:55 AM »
John,

I sat and stared at it for a while and decided the best idea will be to cut a slot in it and put a clamp screw on it.

Didn't you talk to it, ...I do .... :lol:

:beer:

DaveH
(Ex Leicester, Thurmaston, Ashby De La Zouch.)

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2011, 11:46:30 PM »
I am about to talk to the b&@@%y thing now as I toss it way back under the bench! 

Anchoring the slide with the clamp screw works OK but it is a real challenge to get the cutting tip centred.. :doh: