Author Topic: Engineering in the 1960's  (Read 10943 times)

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
Engineering in the 1960's
« on: December 27, 2008, 08:32:10 AM »
I posted this originally over on the HSM site in part answer to a query of why are there more small lathes than mills and we are not talking imports here.

Sorting some bike pics out the other night , all from 1974 I found the pic's of making the new pistons for the Jones racer.
Made from forged lumps of RR56 alloy [ Thank you Rolls Royce although you didn't know ] all the machining was done on a ML7 lathe I owned at the time, in fact it was the only machine tool I owned for a number of years, just as most of my contemporaries.

There are only 4 pics so they will fit into this post, I can't remember if there were more but these 4 are all that survive.

This shows the rough turned piston with oil holes already in, gudgeon pin hole in [ wrist pin to the cousins ] and using a vertical slide and home made indexer, seen better in pic 3 , the inner shape is being formed.

Not too clear in this pic but the boring tool is a long L shaped tool so it can remove metal past the bosses and expose the oil holes.

Nearly finished and putting the valve undercuts in with a fly cutter. Simple indexing attachment using 40T changewheel is visible, only the outside diameter to finish at this stage.

Setting up for grinding the gudgeon pins, probably staged as the pins were smaller than this, note lever feed tailstock and the front brake of the Jones in the background.

All together 4 pistons were made for two of the engines, these went on to do many laps in the Isle of man and Nurnburgrink in Germany, in fact they must still be in the bikes as they exist today as no further work was ever done on them except cosmetics.

Would it have been easier to do on a mill ? Definitely, but that lathe cost £150 brand new in 1969, a mill new in 1975 would have cost £800 and I was on £14 pounds a week wages, just married and with one child.

John_S.
John Stevenson

bogstandard

Re: Engineering in the 1960's
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2008, 09:07:22 AM »
Lovely look down memory lane John, old methods of doing things.

Now there is more disposable income, the vertical slide is on the decline in favour of a mill. But as you said, money was a massive leveller in those days, and you coped with what you had.

How long to wack them out on new machinery? I am sure, that once programmed in, it would take only a fraction of the time.

John

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2008, 10:51:36 AM »
Interesting pictures you have there. Amazing what can be done on a lathe.

Dave Gingery, the guy that wrote many books for Lindsay Publication, said that the lathe was the only machine that could reproduce itself. So it just seems natural that it would be the first tool you would use since you can do milling on it. The mill, and I've seen it, can do turning if you can hold the part in the spindle and mount the tool on the table.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Baldrocker

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2008, 06:02:55 PM »
Hi John.
Interesting pics especially to one who's just bought a vertical slide.
Even more interesting is what appears to be a pressure lube
system for the headstock bearings, any details?
BR

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2008, 05:05:31 PM »
BR,

It was fitted up with a one shop pump system from Tecalamit.
This was fitted to a truck we bough and later replaced with normal grease nipples as it wasn't any good at feeding many points over differing distances.
On the Myford it worked fine and I just used to give it a pump every hour or so when I was using it.

John_S.
John Stevenson

Baldrocker

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2008, 06:23:19 PM »
Thanks mate javascript:void(0);
BR

Offline SPiN Racing

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2008, 10:01:01 PM »
Very very cool.

For a non-machinist its really neat to see the different techniques used to achieve things with the machines you have. For the old school machinists Im sure some of this is stuff that is common sense.. but things like this open my eyes every time I see them.
Thanks for the cool post!

(Very cool method for the valve reliefs)
SPiN Racing

bogstandard

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2008, 02:11:14 AM »
Spin,

I think John has done a very good job here of showing the 'old school' method of machining.

Getting the job done with limited resources.

Nowadays, it seems to be, 'this job will have to wait until I get the right thingybob or whatnot'.

If you can use your imagination, impossible things can be made using improbable solutions.

John

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2008, 02:43:31 AM »
Thanks for posting those pictures John, really enjoyed the post.

What was the bike BTW?
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2008, 05:09:31 AM »
It was for a Jones 250cc twin DOHC

Here's a link I put up when he died earlier this year.

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=28310

Unfortunately the pics are missing as I have swapped ISP's and haven't uploaded all that was there before.
John Stevenson

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2008, 06:22:52 AM »
Great stuff John as usual informative and entertaining. Had a shop instructor that was a firm believer in master the lathe first and then move on.  :D
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2008, 06:30:44 AM »
Very informative, makes me feel quite inadequate wanting this tool to do this and that tool to do that...thanks for posting
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)