Author Topic: Propane tip for old oxy/acetylene cutting torch  (Read 6041 times)

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
Propane tip for old oxy/acetylene cutting torch
« on: June 23, 2011, 05:17:40 PM »
With the interruption in the calcium carbide material stream, to generate acetylene. I figured I would see if I could get a tip for use with my old Rego KX-6 torch.

Torch, acetylene tip left side propane on the right

business end

Business end of the propane tip
Now Some of the propane & natural gas tips come either as one piece or as two piece tip sets. And you can use either gas with them.

Here is mine with the mixing chamber removed, you can see the groves leading to end orifice.
Haven't had a chance to try it out yet, as the job list is getting longer with the continuing rainy weather. The cost was around $25.00 for this one

Well got the T type hoses out of the box, and dug out the old style harbor freight blue cart. After looking over the selection of regulators on the shelf at the LWS. I decided to use the new fuel gas regulator along with its companion oxygen regulator that came in the box of stuff I had purchased from somebody moving out of town. I'm pretty sure that they are from a harbor freight set/kit. But for occasional use they should be fine.

The 40 pounder LP cylinder and 125 ³ft oxygen cylinder fits on the cart so they can be moved easily.
Installed the quick connects and check valves Since propane doesn't pop back no need for flash back arrestors or so I have been told.

So other than finding the little box of flints for replacing the missing one on the stricker,

Here is the 4 sections of I beam I cut from a couple of scrap 12" sections to make up two sets of leg risers for removing the BBQ pit from the trailer to use.

After a short learning curve on lighting the torch, adjusting the flame it was good to go. I used about 6#s on the LP and 25 #s on the oxygen. It wasn't much of a learning curve to adjust the travel speed of the cut, along with the slower heating the metal up to cutting temp. It worked very well, I was pleased with the cuts since I haven't used a torch to cut since i got the plasma.

The biggest problem I had was cutting the 4" wide sections from the 12" sections, the gloves were not keeping the backs of my hands cool enough to cut all the pieces at one session.

On the scale of things, I found that for a minimum investment propane/oxygen will be the fuel gas of choice even when the acetylene shortage is over.

I'm waiting to hear from Bob from the Henrob/Cobra torch company. They are working on a tip set up for their torches. Since it was probably the second most asked question at the N.A.M.E.S expo, after what's the price.
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
Re: Propane tip for old oxy/acetylene cutting torch
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 02:57:24 PM »
Here is a combination two stage regulator, from Craftsman set from around 1967.

the labeling on the name plate

The whole regulator

So the answer to the question is yes you can use an acetylene regulator on the propane cylinder. it will fit the internal threads of the valve. As you can see my original gauge just has pressure above the 15 psig. I guess we were smarter and or less prone to law suits back then. compared to the gauge dials now with the red danger bar etc.

In contacting the rep from a gauge supplier, the company line is if the gauge dial has a red danger bar on it, it should only be used as a acetylene regulator.
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen