Author Topic: Model Engineer - Ferris Wheel Clock  (Read 12151 times)

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
Model Engineer - Ferris Wheel Clock
« on: June 25, 2011, 03:34:33 PM »
Hello, I was hoping someone may be able to help me obtain plans for the Ferris Wheel Clock printed in Model Engineer, series started 5th April 2002. I`d be prepared to purchase a set of ME mags with the plans and notes in. I also believe they have them as a single PDF on the ME website members area....  :ddb:

If anyone can help me out I`d appreciate it. I`m just curious to have a read of how it runs....

Chris

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
  • Portadown, Northern Ireland
    • My Photo website
Re: Model Engineer - Ferris Wheel Clock
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 04:18:43 PM »
Pm sent.

The ferris wheel clock is my next project to build after I finish my experimental V4 build.

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe  -  MI0TME

Offline Jasonb

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 02:38:04 AM »
Did you get my PM?

J

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 03:10:03 AM »
Thanks for those who have replied...I think I`m now sorted.

Tim, that is an interesting choice! I believe it is more difficult to get running than expected. There are a few words on the clock here but I am sure you have seen it already; http://www.model-engineer.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=30587    Not fancy Wildings Congreve clock... I`ve seen a few running now at shows and such and they really are amazing!

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
    • My Photo website
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 03:35:41 AM »
Tim, that is an interesting choice! I believe it is more difficult to get running than expected.

Yea, it should challenge me quite a bit. I am viewing it as quite a long term project, and I hope to make multiples of each part so as to (hopefully) end up with at least one working clock at the end, if not 2.

I think it will be an interesting journey with several side projects to make the required tooling, jigs and accessories, not to mention the learning of new techniques such as gear cutting (something you are well ahead of me on :poke: ), and also gear cutter making, shaping tungsten carbide. I also have thoughts of modifying the electronic control to make it simpler and lower powered with the possibility of making it Solar powered, removing the need for batteries ( but that idea is still in the maybe/maybe not stage )

Are you considering the Ferris Wheel clock as your next Horology project  :poke: :poke: :poke:

Tim

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 04:57:30 AM »
Hi Tim,

I must admit, I was just curious to read the plans and build log and find info of how it runs. I have no immediate plans to build it....yet! I`m sure your excellent build log, pictures and write up will change that!! I`m a heck of a long way of finishing my gearless clock but I do have a few plans of building a dedicated clock wheel cutter and then an optical centering tool but then I think I`ll be attempting to build Colin Thrones Skeleton Clock that I started, most of it needs rebuilding!!!

Again, thanks for the help with obtaining the plans and now get cracking with the rest of your engine build, madmodder is desperate for a proper clockbuild, imo of course   :ddb:

Chris

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
    • My Photo website
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2011, 08:57:17 AM »
madmodder is desperate for a proper clockbuild, imo of course   :ddb:

I think that you are underestimating yourself Chris, you already have a proper clockbuild  :thumbup:

Tim