Author Topic: Aluminium Bronze quite an eye opener!  (Read 5359 times)

Offline bry1975

• http://www.satintime.co.uk

Offline PekkaNF

Re: Aluminium Bronze quite an eye opener!
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 09:34:33 AM »
I think I saw one popular documentary film about that Alaska flight accident, I think main reason was that it had least two maintenance cycles neglected, pilot was operating trim repeatedly (essentially the same screw jack) and mechanically the whole tail wing was moving/supported by only one mechanical screw jack! This kind of design relies it being maintained and inspected regular. I would not blame choice of material.

It surprises me always that on certain industries the whole driving force is trying to make product idiot proof. Idiots are not getting smarter, but our systems and sosiological structures are getting such that we are capable making really idotic deeds only by doing our work as normal. Responsibilities are distributed such way that no-one (or least no organization) can be blamed when people make policies that are good only for them or organization they represent.

Pekka

Offline mike os

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 10:12:13 AM »
what's the eye opener?

use correctly, maintain (a service listed component in all the mentioned cases) correctly, replace as required/instructed, no problem,..... fail to use, service, maintain or replace correctly expect trouble... irregardless of the application or materials.

"Use grease xyz on this component at xxx interval & inspect for wear"  is as valid a design/maintenance procedure as "change oil with sae 30 at 10k intervals" or "change tyres when tread is below 1/16""
Political correctness is a doctrine,  ... which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end

Offline bry1975

• http://www.satintime.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011, 11:06:58 AM »
Regarding 'eye opener'  just an interesting read for the desktop engineer.

Offline Pete.

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2011, 12:32:08 PM »
I suspect the author must have been a tabloid reporter in a previous life TBH.