Author Topic: Quick and easy cutting guide for a plasma  (Read 4219 times)

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
Quick and easy cutting guide for a plasma
« on: August 04, 2011, 06:04:19 PM »
I was looking around for a way to make up a cutting guide, for the plasma. When it hit me I could screw a couple of super magnets from hard drives that I saved when I was scrapping computers for the mortgage companies that went under.

Since I was just cutting out the good section of box tube from scarp I first tried using ½" ply wood and short wood screws. Next time I will use ¾" plywood and put through bolts and nuts as after 5 or 6 times of moving the board the screws pulled out of the board.

on the piece

Cut only thing is it doesn't work good with the thin ply on the curved end I think the thicker material will help some.

Plus the added time saver/hassle of not messing with clamps! Posted Image
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
Re: Quick and easy cutting guide for a plasma
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 10:03:00 AM »
I will add something in case somebody reading this, doesn't know the plasma cutting stream can be affected by the magnetic fields of the magnets. Since I received a wild e mail from another forum  :bugeye:, about the dangers of it. I don't know that it will do anything other than effect the cutting flow or disrupt it if the magnets are to close.
I only use 5"/6" wide boards, and not the thin ones, placing the magnets at 3"s away from the cutting edge. I prefer the wider boards as they provide  a very nice surface to move the gloved hand holding the torch across the item being cut.  :clap:  :thumbup:
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen