Author Topic: Home built die filer  (Read 60993 times)

Offline CallMeAl

• I came, I saw, I wondered how to do it!
Home built die filer
« on: August 04, 2011, 11:48:35 PM »
I have been intrigued by die filers since I found out about them on this forum.  I thought it would be a challenge to try to build one form scratch and it would allow me to practice my pattern making and casting, among other things.  I found this photo and really like the old time looks of this bench to die filer.

I know there is a company selling castings to make a similar unit, but the fun is seeing what you can come up with on your own.

So far, I have broken out the wood lathe (something I haven't touched in a while) and the band saw and after much fiddling, gluing, sanding, and filling I have made a pattern the approximates what is in the photo.  With no measurements to go by I am estimating the dimensions.

After filling the cracks with body putty and spackle and much sanding.  I have my pattern primed, waxed and ready to cast:

It has been kind of a hassle to the parting lines even with all the different pieces. This has been the most elaborate casting I have attempted.

Al
I skin cats my own way!

Offline dickda1

Re: Home built die filer
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 12:09:17 AM »
Very nice pattern.  Aluminum sand casting next?
-Dick
sunny (mostly) San Francisco, land of looney people, sane politics and occasional earthquakes.

Offline DaveH

• Kempton Park, South Africa
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 04:36:52 AM »
Al,

That's come out very well. :clap:
Looks great :thumbup:

DaveH
(Ex Leicester, Thurmaston, Ashby De La Zouch.)

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 04:50:15 AM »
I have been looking at this , but it depends on the postage I would only need the castings as I have a good supply of bronze at the moment,

Al, it looks like a nice project it would be nice to be able to cast things , I havent done it seence I was was at secondry school.

Peter

http://www.sc-c.com/metallathe/MLA-18.html

Re this post checked postage today and got a fast response from them unfortunatly its $118  :bang:

Peter
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 11:10:08 AM by HS93 »
I am usless at metalwork, Oh and cannot spell either . failure

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 10:52:00 AM »
Wow, nice work Al. This is something I would definately use and have been keeping my eye out for. They look very good for filing the crossing out of clock wheels. If you ever start a production line, can I have my name first on the list for a set of castings?!!   :ddb:

look forward to seeing your progress!

Chris

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 12:57:46 PM »
Nice work Al.  :thumbup:

looks good for just "guesstimating" the size. real talent there.  :clap:

Of course next we'll want to see the melt as it takes place, right?   :D

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline DaveH

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 01:49:08 PM »
Of course next we'll want to see the melt as it takes place, right?   :D
Bernd

I second that :D :D :D

DaveH

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 04:36:48 PM »
Very nice pattern making  :clap: :clap: :clap:
Propper wood as well :bugeye: :bugeye: :bugeye:
Looking forward to see it cast  :dremel:
John

Offline CallMeAl

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2011, 11:31:04 PM »
Thanks all for viewing and comments.

dickda1: Yes, cast aluminum, hopefully tomorrow morning.

DaveH, Bernd : Thanks, I'll try to get a shot or two of the pour.

HS93: You guys sure take it in the **** on shipping!  This one of the reasons I'm trying to do my own casting, not only the parts are expensive, but shipping costs so much and I can used the saved money to buy more tools! :thumbup:

craynerd: One of these would great for the clock work parts you have been doing lately.  I plan no production, but it's sad to put so much effort into a pattern and only use it once...

doubleboost: Thanks, pattern making is almost the most difficult part of the process.  A good pattern makes the casting part sort of anticlimactic.  The wood used in the base of the pattern is the pallet runners that saved from when I got my mill - came all the way from China!

I skin cats my own way!

Offline CallMeAl

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2011, 06:33:30 PM »
Well, I made the pour.  I had to do it twice since the first attempt using my not so precise flask I got the drag and cope misaligned and the casting came out with a off set at the parting line. :doh:  Fortunately, one good thing about casting is you can remelt you mistakes, ram up a new flask, and pour it again!

The second one was much better only a slight misalignment.  I must make some better flasks.  I didn't take any shots of the ram up or the actual pour, that's been shown before.  I get wrapped up in the process and forget to do it anyway.

Here's what the shake out looked like:

After cleaning off the sand you can see the sprue and riser:

I'm fairly satisfied with result, not perfect, but not bad. Here it is with the sprue and riser cut off:

You can see the misalignment in this shot, nothing that can't be worked around:

The sprue was so big I thought I would try to turn it down and maybe make the motor drive pulley out of it:

If I can figure out how to hold on to this thing I will start machining it tomorrow.

Thanks for viewing.

I skin cats my own way!

PatJ

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2011, 06:50:07 PM »
Nice pour Al, and great photos.

Thanks,

Pat J

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2011, 07:11:34 PM »
That is a good solid casting  :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
John

Offline DaveH

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2011, 07:23:23 PM »
Al,

That's a great looking casting.  :clap: :clap: :clap:
 :beer:
DaveH

Offline CallMeAl

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2011, 06:53:01 PM »
Thanks, the casting did turn out OK.

The first thing I did was flatten the base with a fly cutter after figured out how to hold on to the casting upside down, I failed to get any photos of that process, but all the other operations would be base off that so I tried to get it right.

Next I mounted it on the rotary table to drill and countersink the mounting holes.  I had to make a bit holder extension, kind of wobbly, but with a little guidance I got it done. I needed the holes to help hold the casting for the next operations.

Mounted the casting  on an angle bracket to machine the rest of the surfaces and drill and bore the holes for drive shaft and table pivot. After drilling drive shaft hole, I was taking the drill bit out and dropped it about 3 ft to the floor and it broke in two! :palm:  I've never had that happen before! Fragile! :scratch::

Fly cutting the drive shaft boss:

I used a bar in the drive shaft holes to line up the holes for the reciprocating shaft:

Holes drilled - man I need more head space on this mill!  Just barley had room.

All holes drilled and ready for bushings:

Sizing the bushing OD fro a light press fit:

All bushing were a light press fit with a couple of smears of Locktite retaining goop:

Reamed bushings .001 over:

Casting machining complete.  Now to make the roundy, roundy, up & downy parts! :D

Thanks, for viewing.

Al

I skin cats my own way!

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2011, 06:57:23 PM »
Coming along nicely  :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
John

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2011, 11:37:46 PM »
Al

Very nicely done, you make it look easy.  :D

Cheers  :beer:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline Pete49

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2011, 11:46:07 PM »
great work so far Al :jaw: :mmr: Any chance of making the drawings public? Would love to try similar job from making the template to the finished project.
Cheers
Pete
oops..........oh no.........blast now I need to redo it

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2011, 05:11:50 AM »
Wow, very nice work Al, I've done some very simple sand casting before when I was much younger, we used the facilities where my dad used to teach. Found it difficult so I always find these casting threads mesmorising. Interesting project  :thumbup:

Offline madjackghengis

• big engine
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2011, 10:36:34 AM »
That is an impressive piece of work you are taking on, and you are doing a beautiful job of it.  I myself bought the casting set long ago, at a time when it was far cheaper, and shipping was far less, and while I don't use it every day, having a die filer is a "need" in my shop, and I would not happily do without it.  I think you will be very pleased to have it when you are done.  I've seen several made to be attached to a lathe, and I always cringe at the thought of all the filings getting in the lathe.  I'm really looking forward to seeing the end product, great start.  Mad Jack

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2011, 10:55:14 AM »

... I always cringe at the thought of all the filings getting in the lathe...

Surely the filings are just like swarf (small swarf, I grant you)? It's the abrasive stuff (aluminium oxide, etc.) that concerns me on the lathe, surely that'd cause far more wear than, say, brass filings...?
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2011, 11:28:49 AM »
Al,

Very nice casting. That misalignment is hardly noticeable.  :thumbup:

Nice job on maching too.  :thumbup:

Keep up the great work and thanks for posting this little project.  :ddb:  :nrocks:

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline DaveH

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2011, 11:57:44 AM »
Al,

Very impressive  :clap: :clap: :clap:

DaveH

Offline dickda1

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2011, 04:11:18 PM »
Al, you are the man! :bow:

I have done a ton of aluminum castings and very frequently get blowholes (that I cover with body putty).  I am envious of the quality of your casting.

-Dick
sunny (mostly) San Francisco, land of looney people, sane politics and occasional earthquakes.

Offline Dean W

• My kingdom for a lathe!
    • Projects web pages
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2011, 08:07:00 PM »
Nice casting, Al.  Great machining steps, too.  This ought to turn out perfect!
Dean W.

Shop Projects:
http://www.deansphotographica.com/machining/projects/projects.html

Praise the Lord and pass the Carbide!

Offline CallMeAl

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2011, 12:39:53 AM »
Thanks for the great comments.

Pete49: I would be happy to share the drawings, if I really had any!  I made a rough layout drawing of the casting pattern in my old CAD program for a reference and then proceeded to ignore most of the dimensions. ::)

NickG: Ya, I find casting kind of difficult at times also.  It's nice I have a good supply of good scrap aluminum to work with and made various pieces of equipment to make it easier on me. It definitely as a learning curve!  I learn something every time I try it.

madjackghengis:  Thanks.  I didn't know if I really needed a die filer at this point, but it looks to be something that could be useful and I thought it would be fun to try to make one.  I looked at he prices of the casting from a couple of sources + shipping and figured I would try it.  I'm looking forward to seeing how it works!

Bernd, DaveH: Thanks.

dickda1: Thanks, like I said above it's nice to have a good source of cast hydraulic pump housings to work with.  I have had some issuses with defects and have used JB weld to fill pit holes it need be.

On to making rest of the parts.  I made the drive shaft from a piece on 1/2 inch O-1 rod, a slice off a chrome plated cylinder rod, and 5/16 dowel pin from a hydraulic pump.  All pressed together with a little Loctite.

Testing the fit of the reciprocating shaft and getting the measurement from the end of drive pin to the shaft. The 6 inch A belt pully was bought at the local hardware store, I'm to lazy to make a pattern for something I can buy for $11.50!

Fitting the cross slide block.  The brass came from melted down pump wear plates which I cast a block from.  This whole project owes it's existence to people destroying hydraulic components! :thumbup:

Test fitting the cross slide block:

Forming the rest of the block:

The reciprocating shaft was drilled for 1/4 inch diameter file shanks.  I only have 1/8 inch files, but I'm anticipating future options!  I was then sliced in half to allow the bit clamp grub screws to tighten up on the file shanks.

The clamp was made from another cylinder shaft, drilled to slide over the shaft, and tapped for two grub screws and finially cutoff and the cut faced on the lathe.

All the main parts made:

It's coming together now! I hope to get it assembled tomorrow and run in and start making a pattern for the table.

Thanks for viewing.

Al

I skin cats my own way!