Author Topic: Abrasive water jet sample surface roughness>>  (Read 7178 times)

Offline bry1975

• http://www.satintime.co.uk
Abrasive water jet sample surface roughness>>
« on: August 07, 2011, 03:23:35 PM »
Chaps please check the abrasive water finishes below the top image show the ROUGHEST and 2nd roughest finish, with the below image it shows the best and 2nd best finish.

I wonder can laser produce a finer surface cut?

Offline Jasonb

Re: Abrasive water jet sample surface roughness>>
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 03:29:58 PM »
All the lazer stuff I've had has needed drawfiling but I don't know if it can be done with a finer setting but expect it would put the cost up.

EDM may be smoother.

Are those images actual size or enlarged?

J

Offline bry1975

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 03:45:06 PM »
They're enlarged (sample thickness is 20mm)the best finish doesn't look bad if you can keep the part thickness thin say under 5mm, the roughest is rough it really depends what you need the part for etc.

I was quoted 17quid for 10 parts and 22quid for 5 parts the profiling work didn't sound to bad, haven't decided if I'm going down the CNC route yet as price is a little steeper.

Offline bp

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 09:11:26 PM »
When I had to work for a living I had to investigate the relative merits of water cutting, laser cutting and wire cutting (wire EDM).  It worked out something like this.....
Water cutting.... Cheapest, least accurate, especially over 20 odd millimetre thick material as the water jet dissipates and causes a wider kerf furthest from the jet, fairly accurate but may require some experimentation to establish tolerances

Laser cutting.....Fastest, can be very accurate, has limitations over 25mm, cutting of aluminium may require special equipment due to reflectivity of aluminium.  As with water cutting the laser beam scatters and may cause a tapered cut on thicker material.  Depending on material may also leave the cut surface as a heat affected area which can cause difficulties when machining.  Fantastic for producing kits of parts from sheet material (metal, wood.....)

Wire cutting.... Most accurate by a long way, effectively no cutting thickness limitations from memory 200mm was achievable depending on the machine, can produce tapered parts on 5 axis machines.  Can be very expensive as it is slow.

Horses for courses I suppose
cheers
Bill Pudney

Offline bry1975

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 09:58:52 PM »
Thanks Bill,

The firm did say they could achieve +-0.10mm with the water jet cutting I can see that being possible with thin sections.

I'm not that keen on laser not for decorative work as the sides cut will be very visible so will probably stick with cnc machining or water jet if very thin.

EDM is very good for tooling but as you say can be very expensive.

Bry

Offline sparky961

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 12:19:38 AM »
If I may add some of my own observations, I design and look at profile-cut parts all day long...

Waterjet: Comparably slow and expensive for metals.  Tight tolerances can be achieved.  +/- 0.005 is not unheard of, depending on who's running the machine and what they're cutting.  Expect less than this from your average shop.  Very thick material can be cut this way with very little kerf angle.  Waterjet is amazingly fast on plastic, foam and food.  No heat discolouration and a nice clean edge on stainless steel or aluminum.

Plasma: Not great for thin (say 14ga and less, give or take) if you want any sort of detail.  That said, with some tweaking good results can be obtained with thin materials too.  Inside corners will always be radiused, not square.  Outside corners are usually rounded over as well because any sharp edge will just melt away as the arc passes by.  Plasma is best, however for cutting outer profiles in say 0.250 to 3.000 steel depending on amperage.  Hole diameter should be greater than the material thickness for acceptable results.  Tolerances of +/- 1/32 can be held with good equipment and operators.

Laser: Very accurate, very temperamental.  With tweaking I have seen hole diameters held within 0.003", but expect more like +/-0.010 or even 0.015 without special care applied.  Because the beam width (kerf) is only about 0.012 to 0.015, that means the radius on inside corners is minimal and almost negligible.  Most people overestimate the thickness capacity of CO2 lasers.  Expect a good job done on steel up to about 0.500.  Thicker, like maybe 0.750-1.000 if its a high powered machine thats having a good day, can be done but dont expect any sort of repeatability and the cut will look like a gerbil with carbide teeth gnawed it out of the plate.  It will also be much slower on thick materials than plasma.  Cut quality will usually look a bit ragged with vertical lines on the cut profile (a bit like that first picture in this post, but not as curved).  It is not usually, as most people expect, a nice smooth finish.  Materials less than 0.250 seem to have a better edge to them.  Contrary to popular belief, a good commercial CNC plasma will often produce a smoother edge with less dross on thicker materials.  Cost is reasonable, but higher than plasma or flame cutting.  Thickness capacity of lasers is reduced for aluminum, and aluminum is often more trouble than its worth due to the materials ductility and reactivity.  Many materials can be cut, but many job shops do not want to get special material in for a small job on a hobby budget (sorry, there is no nice way to say that).

Sorry to get a bit OT with this one.  If anyone has specific questions on profile cutting that I have not already droned on about, Id be happy to answer in another thread or PM.

-Sparky