Author Topic: Kindle format/e reader/PDF books  (Read 12972 times)

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
Kindle format/e reader/PDF books
« on: August 15, 2011, 07:47:23 AM »
I came across this site, and it appears to be a good one, With lots of useful items/links.

When I looked at the internet archives list of formats, I noticed that they are now available in the Kindle format.

It is nice to have a large number of old school books and information together in one site that will be of use for the members of this forum.

craftsmanspace*

:D
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 06:28:48 AM by PTsideshow »
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
Re: Kindle format/e reader/PDF books
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 08:36:01 AM »
PT,

Linky don't work.  :scratch:

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline saw

• lucky amateur
    • Svenssons AckordsWerkstad
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 08:37:22 AM »
The link is broken..  :(

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
  • Portadown, Northern Ireland
    • My Photo website
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 08:39:18 AM »
I think I fixed it.

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe  -  MI0TME

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 10:31:40 AM »
Forgot to adjust the cut and paste this morning.  :doh:

Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
glen

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 12:24:53 PM »
Well in some further looking, No conclusions on which reader yet. Since when it is brought up the rabid Ipad/and other apple people just get to the point of it looking like they are paid by apple! Even when it is clearly stated that only a reader is needed. They seem they can't help themselves  :lol: :lol: :lol: :doh:

many books (free E books)

Project Gutenberg  (free E books)

Open Library (free E Books)

Internet Archive (free E books)

Here are the 4 heavy weights, after  google books. That you don't have to give your credit card info like Barnes & Noble to gain access to the free books.

There are a number steam and engine books on the sites.

Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
glen

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 12:44:09 PM »
I bought a Kindle a few weeks back, mainly for travel. Though it doesn't beat a paper book, it's not bad. In fact, for reading in bed propped up on one elbow, i's easier to manage than a regular book.

But so far I've only downloaded e-books direct from Amazon, which go straight into the Kindle via my wireless router. If I downloaded a book to my computer, I don't know how I would go about transferring it to the Kindle. However, the latter has what looks like a micro USB socket, which looks promising.

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline Joules

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 03:54:24 PM »
Kindle plugs into pc/mac and is seen as a memory stick.  Just drag and drop the pdf, book and then move to a directory on the Kindle.  It's as simple as that.  You can also email yourself a file direct to your Kindle.  I use mine alot in the workshop.

Joules

p.s
       I also use an iPad, but not for book reading.
Honour your mentors, and pay it forward.

Offline kwackers

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2011, 08:01:55 AM »
Well in some further looking, No conclusions on which reader yet. Since when it is brought up the rabid Ipad/and other apple people just get to the point of it looking like they are paid by apple! Even when it is clearly stated that only a reader is needed. They seem they can't help themselves  :lol: :lol: :lol: :doh:
As someone who has apple gear (mainly for work) but isn't a fanboy and also has a Sony eReader, here's what I hope is my unbiased opinion.

I have a lot of reference material - by it's very nature I tend to whizz back and forth between pages to find the relavent info. For that and the way it handles PDF's there's no doubt the iPad (or probably a similar Android item) is best - basically because of the response time of the LCD.

If I want to read something properly then there's no doubt the eInk viewers are miles ahead of the LCD in terms of legibility and lack of eyestrain. (I can read an eInk reader all day without problems, 20 minutes on an LCD and my eyes start to get tired. Then there's the battery life...

Apple stuff is pretty good - but it's not without it's faults. What make me laugh is the way the fanboys won't accept *any* criticism. Mind you if I'd paid way over the odds for my machine... (Oh wait! Doh!).

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2011, 09:57:12 AM »
I have no problems with apple stuff, as the Wifey, has one as her computer. It was as you say some of the fan boy's are off the deep end.
Being retired, I have no real use for portable computer or a half a$$ computer. With my stupid phone I'm more connected to the net than I really need to be  :scratch: Since I'm not saving the world, ending world hunger, etc,etc .

And spending sometimes 3/4 days for a couple hours at doctors office driving my parents to their appointments. Both mid 80's The magazines are years old, or just dealing with sports or retirement!
Since I don't do golf, I was cured of that affliction at 11 years old by caddying for my father  ::) I don't follow any stick and ball sports, and the Waiting rooms that have TV's they are either on the medical channels, or those godawful talking heads programs hosted by people I never heard of. Talking about things I don't want to hear about!  :palm:

Since I have seen that the internet archives in the first post, are now formatting the books in the ereaders formats, and they would be nicer to read from rather than my droid phone screen is to small and have to keep putting on the glasses etc.

For the price the e readers seem to fit the bill. But there is about 25 brands of readers and the two big dogs Kindle and Nook. The kindle seems to be winning out at this point. I figure that since I don't read anything other than older shop books, and non fiction the free books should be something to keep me occupied. Besides if I don't like the kindle, I can give to the wife and get a Nook  :clap:

Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
glen

Offline jim

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2011, 12:47:14 PM »
thank you :headbang:
if i'd thought it through, i'd have never tried it