Author Topic: Siege X3 Supper Mill  (Read 8324 times)

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
Siege X3 Supper Mill
« on: January 01, 2009, 07:41:00 AM »
Hi Chaps

I'm in the market for a new Mill I've more or less settled for a Seige X3 supper, it will just about fit in my shop with a bit of re-arranging, and I would be interested in any comments you may have good or bad on this machine or alternative machines of the size.  Any details on Modifications or additional you may have carried out, particularly adding a DRO  or power feed would be aoriciated.

Cheers

:wave:
Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road

Offline cedge

• Madmodder Committee
Re: Siege X3 Supper Mill
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 10:08:48 AM »
Stew
Own one and love it. It's a lot of machine for the size. Nice large work envelope and the power to take a pretty heavy cut without complaint. DRO's were an easy install and the factory power feed is a monster. Have yet to find any real negatives so far.

Steve

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 11:41:16 AM »
Hi Steve

Thanks for your comments it's always comforting to have feed back from people who have used the Kit.

Thanks again

Stew

Offline cedge

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 11:47:27 AM »
Stew
One item... you'll need a couple or 3 stout friends to help get it on the bench. That sucker is HEAVY.

Steve

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2009, 12:45:18 PM »

hi Steve

Thanks for the warning, with my small shop I doubt I'd get three guys inside it, I was planning on stripping the machine down out side, giving it a clean, and building it up piece by piece in the shop  :borg:, this is what I did with my 3 in 1, do you think it will be posible to do this with the Mill.

Cheers
Stew

Offline kellswaterri

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2009, 02:41:43 PM »
Hi Stew, this might be handy...
http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/projects/prepguides/X3%20Mill%20Preparation%20Guide.pdf

http://www.mini-lathe.com/X3_mill/Sx3rvw/SX3-4.htm

Looks to be a good mill with a decent motor.
                                                           John.

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2009, 03:38:08 PM »
Hi John

Thanks for the links, the guide looks just the ticket. :thumbup:

Cheers
Stew

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 08:59:44 AM »
Hi Chaps

Well I've bitten the bullet and ordered the mill, as I come from up North and don't like parting with money  :( ,

I needed an injection to get me over the turmoil  :dremel:

I'll start a thread on stripping it down and shoe horning it into my shop when it arrives.

Have
Fun

Stew

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2009, 07:46:30 PM »
Congrats Stew!

I am jealous.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Mustang

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2009, 10:52:22 PM »
Stew

I have an SX3 and love it. I also have a 3and1 but changing setup  from lathe to mill and back was a pain :bang: So convienced SWMBO that the SX3 was a necessity. :D

I have a HF 1000LB hydraulic lift-table that I used when installing the SX3 in my shop. Since I prefer to set (conserves energy) :med: when milling my bench for the mill is only 30"s high. :coffee: The hydraulic lift allowed me to uncrate the mill outside my shop door, do some preliminary cleaning, then slide it onto the lift and roll it in to the bench. Jacked it up and slide it on to the bench. I live so far out in the country that I usually have to figure out how to do these things alone. Perhaps you or someone you know has one of these lifts. It would really help moving that thing around. :clap:

Andy

Offline cedge

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2009, 10:56:12 PM »
Stew
Money well spent. I seriously doubt we'll be hearing any moans of disappointment when you take delivery. Gotta back Andy's advice too. I picked up the 1000# lift table to handle mine as well. It is now used for all sorts of lifting and rearranging the shop. It's almost like having a hired hand sitting around the shop.

Steve

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2009, 03:45:31 AM »
You Chaps are spoilt for space, I just don't have the room to get any sort of lifting takle in my shop, also the restricted space reduces the number of people who can get in there.

But I have just taken delivery of a wheeled trolly I'm planing to have the crate dropped on this so I can move the crated machine around whilst I strip it down, before I do anything I've got to make space in my shop, I've got a load of woodworking tools I inherited from my father in a cuboard, they're going to go in the garage, but before I can do this I've got four Bicycles to get rid of etc etc. I'll also need to nudge my 3 in 1 over a bit. Its going to be a bit of a jugling act to get it in I only hope that I've thought it through OK.  :scratch:

As for help:- I've a young daughter so ther's always a young chap hanging around that I can press gang  :wack: into giving me a hand.

Have
 :scratch:
Fun

Stew

bogstandard

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2009, 03:59:48 AM »
Stew,
I have found that Ralph makes a great prime mover, and he works for peanuts choccy bars. :lol: :lol:

But joking aside, if I can help, and I know a man who can, don't be afraid to ask.

Bogs