Author Topic: Hawker Hunter dual seat...  (Read 4238 times)

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
Hawker Hunter dual seat...
« on: September 12, 2011, 03:01:36 AM »
Our small town aviation museum has 'scored' the front section  of a Hawker Hunter jet trainer,  it is not in the best of conditions. :(

Here are a few pictures of what we have and as you can see it is a little rough around the edges, apart from smelling of damp, apparently either someone left the lid up in a rain storm or water leaked in over a period of time but everything smells like those old English motor cars we used to love, only worse. :(

Not too bad from the outside:-

IMGP9370 by aardvark_akubra, on Flickr

...but inside..

IMGP9377 by aardvark_akubra, on Flickr

...again..

IMGP9376 by aardvark_akubra, on Flickr

We have a few ideas for drying it out but restoration to a standard we would like to display is probably out of the question.  I have been telling the other museum society members that we should display it in a darkened environment with careful lighting and I am hoping that UV, or something, would make the instrument markings 'come alive'.  I am not sure I have convinced anyone yet.

Anyone got any ideas (that I can take to the next meeting and pretend they were mine   :lol:)?
John
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline Chazz

Re: Hawker Hunter dual seat...
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 01:26:42 PM »
The way I see it, the most cost effective way to fix 'er up is to let someone else 'score it' off you!  :lol:

How about suspending it from above? 

Actually if it were refurbed as a static, visual display it should not be too difficult to fix up.

When ever we had to 'de-oderize' the interior of a car\truck, we'ed strip it down and use the pressure washer with TSP (tri-sodium phosphate) which always worked well for us.

Good luck with your find,
Chazz
Craftex CT129N Mill & Craftex 9 x 20 CT039 Lathe