Author Topic: Decisions Decisions  (Read 6822 times)

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Decisions Decisions
« on: January 07, 2009, 11:06:45 PM »
So I am trying to get some other obligations out of the way as quickly as possible. Have some kickstands and other motorcycle parts. I hope to have everything done by the end of the month. I am looking to start quite a few small projects to run parallel builds. However, I want to start one of my planned larger projects as well.

But which one?

I have 4 in mind... in no order

1. Rebuild of an old Yamaha xs400 into a modern cafe racer
2. Finish stuffing a large bore 2-stroke engine into a sportbike (for you bike guys, think old school motoGP replica)
3. Ground up frame build of a V-twin sportbike with an alternative front end (no forks here!)
4. A side by side ride in trike

I can hear the moans from here! I know I know, they are powersports items! Please be reassured that the other projects that I will be doing at the same time are for this board as well!

Anyone have a suggestion or which one should be done?

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Re: Decisions Decisions
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 11:20:59 PM »
I should say this...

For all these projects, they have already been started.

project 1... have the donor bike and it is sitting on the bench
project 2... have the donor frame, engine mounts have been started also have the bottom end of the engine
project 3... have the engine and various parts
project 4... the design of the frame has started in CAD. Have the engine (mock anyway) that will be used and various other parts.

The cheapest maybe project 1. Ofc, it will be just as hard to title as the other 3 if not harder. The original owner doesn't have the title. BUT I didn't get it from him. I got it from the guy the owners father sold it to (for free). So I would have to use a title service.

The other 3 will fall into almost the same expense and difficulty. #4 would probably be slightly more expensive

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 09:24:12 AM »
Well Eric,

Since I'm kind of in the same boat (and it's sinking :lol: ) but with other projects.

I've come to the conclusion that if I work on the one that has my attention for that moring I work on it. Needless to say sometimes nothing gets done. Then along comes a another interesting project and it gets added to the list.

I'd say if you have 4 definat projects work on them as one big project. They all are related to each other somehow. So one day you work on the cad drawing. Then another day work on getting that engine stuffed in.

Ya I know, you'd like to get least one done before starting the next.

The wife would call the way I do it multitasking. Then she'd asked me what I got done that day. I'd say noting, couldn't decide what project to work on.  :lol:  :lol:

Bernd

P.S. Start with project #1 since that's the one you listed first.
Route of the Black Diamonds

Baldrocker

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 05:34:27 PM »
Home workshop engineering, Procrastination is thy name.  :coffee:

Offline Rog02

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 09:43:27 PM »
Yep, you got the Backyard Builder's Blues!   Been there, done that, wearing the tee-shirt.  (insert head banging smiley here IF WE HAD ONE  :scratch:)

I approach my projects like I would any project I would do for hire. 
Planning/Replanning/REPLANNING AGAIN!
Coffee Break :coffee:
Material acquisition
Layout
Cut down
LUNCH
Work on the last thing needed for the job so I have a goal to work towards.
Finish working on the last part.
Clean shop
Go to house and turn on the TV.

Be sure to allow adequate time for chin rubbing and butt scratching (failure to do so will lead to unsatisfactory parts and necessary re-works).

I know I know, they are powersports items! Please be reassured that the other projects that I will be doing at the same time are for this board as well!

What's wrong with "powersports"?   "If it ain't got wheels, it ain't a sport!"
There are other websites for the toy steam engines.  I got run off of one of them and thought I had found a home here since it promised to include a couple of things I am interested in.  My idea of a neat little engine is a 120 Offenhauser running on alcohol (yes I have been known to restore these from time to time).  Next to the wail of an Offy hauling the straight, the sound of a 460 CID Small Block "pushin' the cushion" is a close second. 

Keep on posting the "motorsport" stuff  :poke:.
Roger
I'm OLD, I'm TIRED, and I'M GRUMPY!

bogstandard

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 03:10:43 AM »
Eric,

If you can't make up your mind, open up a new topic and take up knitting.
I am sure you would soon get your a**e into gear and get on with your project.

Why the worry over powersports? You started this site to show projects of all sorts, and power sports was included.

Even though we don't parcipitate, it doesn't mean we are not enthralled by the efforts of other people who do.

Bogs

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 06:34:16 AM »

Why the worry over powersports? You started this site to show projects of all sorts, and power sports was included.

Even though we don't parcipitate, it doesn't mean we are not enthralled by the efforts of other people who do.

Bogs

Bravo, well put John..... :clap:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)