Author Topic: Accelerator/activator for Cyanoacrylate glues  (Read 10722 times)

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
Accelerator/activator for Cyanoacrylate glues
« on: September 30, 2011, 12:18:44 PM »
Was wondering if any body on the forum has a formula for homemade accelerator for Cyanoacrylate adhesives. Now I know that misting water on will speed up the reaction time with some of the glues. As you use a lot of it in turning and the sanding it off with some materials. And then as a finial finish.

Going over the web, there seems to be some confusion with the use of baking soda on most wood working forums, it is listed as the main ingredient with water in homemade accelerator rather than as a filler material. but every body complains it changes the color or clouds the glue. If it used as an activator mixed with water, has anybody used it and how little baking soda is mixed with the water?

Went into the shop and found a 2oz bottle of Titebond instant activator($9.95 from woodcraft). The MSDS for the bottle is on line and was interesting. Naptha,n-heptane, and methylcyclohexane are the only ingredients

I don't need to hear about fillers as I don't need fillers, Would like to figure out or find a formula for the activator or accelerator for Cyanoacrylate adhesives.
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen

Offline krv3000

Re: Accelerator/activator for Cyanoacrylate glues
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 04:19:46 PM »
HI do you smok if so let the fumes of a lit cigeret to cum in contact with the glue 

Offline Ronkh

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 05:09:18 PM »
HI do you smok if so let the fumes of a lit cigeret to cum in contact with the glue 

What? :doh:
Just me!

Offline Swarfing

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 05:49:57 PM »
Why don't you try another route. This stuff is classed as hazardous so look up the COSH details. This will give you the breakdown of the chemicals and also give you what will combat it in case of an accident. You can then get clues about what will work? I very much doubt water is the right stuff for curing? let alone smok?(probably benzine is what you were thinking of?). We used to use different concentrations of what ever it was to speed up curing times for epoxy many moons ago it it was definitely a another smelly chemical. i can not see this being anything different?
Once in hole stop digging.

Offline krv3000

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011, 08:27:10 PM »
HI well  ant you seen CSI

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011, 09:05:44 PM »
some model boaters use soliver. yuk yes I know but it works.

Peter
I am usless at metalwork, Oh and cannot spell either . failure