I had the chance to get a good running not so good looking Chevy 3/4 ton pickup a couple months ago for cheep. A week later my wife bought a old camper for $200. Now we have a camping rig\o/
I have a few things planned for it but first there are a few things that need fixed. A previous owner had added a separate fuel tank. The filler hole was mounted to the side of the fender in a hole that was cut in with a hole saw.
I went to a wrecking yard and found a Burb with a square door on the passenger side and they let me cut it out. I then cut a hole in the fender on my truck.
Here is the new hole fitted. I had the patch sand blasted to clean off the old paint.
I spot welded all the way around with my little MIG welder. I'm really happy with the way this turned out. I've never done any body work before. There is only a little wobble in the top of the fender but I think I can deal with it.
While at the wrecking yard I got some nicer gauges and an emergency brake pedal that worked. last weekend I installed them and a new speedometer cable. That was quite a job.
Today after work I started on a grill to replace the one that had fallen out. I made a angle iron frame and used a piece of scrap expanded metal and came up with this.
I still need to weld some mounting tabs to it. But that shouldn't take too long.
I have been messing with a paint scheme on Photo shop and have came up with this. Excuse my cruddy photo shop skills.
We have resealed all the windows and the roof on the camper. It is in really good shape for being made in 1973.
This topic will be updated as money and time allow it.