Author Topic: Falling mill?  (Read 16518 times)

Offline John Rudd

Re: Falling mill?
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2011, 11:16:00 AM »
Nedd,

I understand what you are saying, but an ER collet relies totally on gripping the cutter to prevent it moving.... but what is there to stop a slot drill from moving axially when cutting a hole? Hence the Clarkson...

As it happens I have both ER and Clarkson types but prefer to use the Clarkson when using a slot drill for its purpose...( apart from the fact that my new milling machine needs a new draw bar to enable me to use the Clarkson on it.... :D )

I concede the other good thing about ER collets is the fact that there is no need to remove the holder from the quill....just change the size of collet to suit whether milling or drilling....which can be a bind if the chuck or the Clarkson become a little stuck in the taper...a judicious smak with a copper hammer usually fixes that but will eventually take its toll on the bearings which isnt a good thing.... :hammer:

I guess I'm just old school right tool for the right job...

Flack jacket at the ready  :coffee:
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2011, 12:32:58 PM »
Ok Chaps.......

I have had a very nice, long chat with Steve, this afternoon.

Touched on very many machining questions/ issues/ needs. No problem there, I can advise him on where and what is needed.  :thumbup:

After your collective advice, he had already decided on an ER 25 set.

Personally, I think he had head lift, while cutting with Z axis unlocked. Then dropping, between cutting areas.

The most disturbing aspect of his 3 week old machine. If he lets go of the vertical handle, the head drops to the table! (Almost).  :bugeye: :bang:

I have no experience of the spring balance system. Can it be tensioned?  :scratch:

Or, should he ring the suppliers.......  :hammer:

David D

David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2011, 01:11:01 PM »
David,

AFAIK, there is no spring adjustment on these mills ( I have the same although the Chester flavour )

I've had my mill for several years now and over that time period I reckon the strength of the spring has weakened....with the gibs slackened off, the head will fall under its own weight...Not a good thing at all...and shouldnt be happening with a relatively new machine, he really needs to be contacting the seller on this...

John
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline -steves-

« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2011, 02:16:05 PM »
Ok Chaps.......

I have had a very nice, long chat with Steve, this afternoon.

Touched on very many machining questions/ issues/ needs. No problem there, I can advise him on where and what is needed.  :thumbup:

After your collective advice, he had already decided on an ER 25 set.

Personally, I think he had head lift, while cutting with Z axis unlocked. Then dropping, between cutting areas.

The most disturbing aspect of his 3 week old machine. If he lets go of the vertical handle, the head drops to the table! (Almost).  :bugeye: :bang:

I have no experience of the spring balance system. Can it be tensioned?  :scratch:

Or, should he ring the suppliers.......  :hammer:

David D

Thanks for all your help today David, some very good details gone through today, kinda points me in the right direction until I fall off th rails again. Lets just hope I can manage to put all this good advise to good use. Turns out I have one of my x/y axis locks missing from my mill, only found out today because of David, I didn't even know it had them (still looking for that blushing smiley...)

I am away this week so wont be back till next weekend to have another go at things, got some widgets done this weekend and have some widgets lined up for next weekend too.  :D

What a site hey  :)
very new to all this....