Author Topic: Hello hello helloooo  (Read 4676 times)

Offline Barker 5x24

Hello hello helloooo
« on: October 25, 2011, 02:34:39 AM »
Another introduction  :beer:

Found this site after following a thread about the flip up screw cutting tool holder on Model Engineer

Anyway I'm John, not an engineer in any way by trade or profession (I'm a chartered waste manager procuring waste treatment plants) but I am a motorcyclist who has progressed from mechanicking newbie (can now strip and rebuild an engine) to machining newbie.

Have an old 1947 Barker roundbed lathe and a Chester Champion mill/drill both converted to 3 phase so I can use variable speed to try an improve my cutting and finishing. Also got MMA and MIG welders.

So far I have been building tooling - spindle adapter for the Chester to accommodate the shorter fatter spindle on the 3 phase motor and adapt a taper boss pulley in place of the cone original; new base for a Picador drill grinding jig that I got cheap of ebay 'cos it was missing its base; tailstock die holder; collets so I can use various odds and sods of tooling which I have acquired in my Posilock collet chuck. Currently attempting a Frankenstein dividing head (Harold Hall design) with change wheel banjo (Sparey design) as I don't fancy tackling worm wheels yet!

Ultimate aim is to make spacers and other adapters to fit the front end (forks, yokes, brakes) from a 2008 ZX14 and swingarm from a 2004 ZX10R onto my 1999 ZX7R Kawasaki to modernise its looks. After that better looking wheels will follow once funds allow.

Right that's me then that is, I'll apologise now for any dumb questions that may be forthcoming  :hammer:

John

Offline Marauder

Re: Hello hello helloooo
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 03:54:37 AM »
Hi and welcome.

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
  • Portadown, Northern Ireland
    • My Photo website
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 04:07:30 AM »
Hello and a warm welcome to Madmodder. I'm sure that, like myself, you will learn a whole bundle from the collective wisdom of the members here.

Do share with us what you are working on, we like pictures here cos  :worthless: :D

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe  -  MI0TME

Offline saw

• lucky amateur
    • Svenssons AckordsWerkstad
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 05:29:16 AM »
Hi and welcome to us  :wave:

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 07:38:02 AM »
Hiya John :wave:

Welcome to the collective :borg:

I used to have a 96 7R. One of the best looking bikes ever in my eye (That and the TLR) Also had a 89 ZX-7. The 96 was totaled when I got hit by a drunk driver... I had planned to drop a 9r engine in it.

Lets see some pictures!

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline DaveH

• Kempton Park, South Africa
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 05:05:32 PM »
John :wave:

Hello and welcome.
 :beer:
DaveH
(Ex Leicester, Thurmaston, Ashby De La Zouch.)

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 06:48:53 PM »
Hi
John
Welcome to mad modders
John

Offline Barker 5x24

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2011, 07:17:04 AM »
Thanks everyone for the welcome.

Brass Machine: I shall attempt to get some pictures up of the 7R and the bits that are to be modified to fit it.

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2011, 03:26:06 PM »
Hi And welcome John  :wave:

Looking forward to seeing how your dividing head comes out  :dremel:

Dont forget the photos  :poke: :)

Rob

Offline krv3000

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2011, 05:37:11 AM »
HI and welcome from krv3000

Offline Barker 5x24

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2011, 04:50:33 PM »
Still no pictures but just had to share some good news. My lathe is a 1947 Barker round bar bed and there's not a lot of them around although three have come up for sale in the last 6 months on ebay! Anyway as you can imagine accessories for this are rarer that gold plated rocking horse poo. Anyway I took a risk on buying fixed and travelling steadies from an advert on Homeworkshop.org. Having received them in the post earlier this week I have tried them on the lathe and they line up damned near perfectly. The fixed steady is 100% spot on and the travelling steady needs a little skim to centre the horizontal arm. Both are screw adjusted with locking screws rather than loosening a bolt and tighten. I have suffered a lot during the learning phase with deflection due to the force of the cutting tool against the workpiece and consequently concave results of the wrong size. The lack of steadies has really hurt me.

Well they need a good clean. Currently trying cola on the fixed steady but bought some concrete/tool cleaner today so will empty out the cola and give that a go. The travelling one needs new brass arms as well but all in good time. I am just so chuffed at finding these!
 :beer: