Author Topic: Member Status Awards  (Read 6885 times)

Offline lockstocknbarrel

Member Status Awards
« on: November 01, 2011, 05:06:11 AM »
Hi Eric,
Hope that got your attention, from your comments on a previous topic on status, what I have observed so far to climb the status mountain on this site then all someone has to do is sit back and make "A that looks great on every post" and receive a knighthood.
I'm not looking to demean the site in any shape or form as I regard this site as one of the premier home machine sites on the web.

Surely the site status should be based on posts involving
1. Help to fellow Engineers.
2. Sharing of Knowledge.
3. Projects.
4. Sharing of plans this above all is where a member could just keep stum, but no the member shares his plans and knows full well that it now out in web cyber space and there to be prostituted by all.

I believe we are all here for different reasons, but what we may be loosing site of a major fact, model engineering in its simplest form is a dying hobby there are so many valuable older engineers here that I wish would just grab a camera and show and tell a story on how there widget was built.
There are some amongst us that do deserve a "Knighthood"
Bogs
John Stephenson
Achim
Arnoldb
Bernd
John Hill
If I have missed someone out I am sorry, I am a home taught toolmaker and just enjoy seeing the tools that others have made, and how they share the extra time to photograph and record for the future the items that they have made with a full explanation, this is the way the Status should be awarded.

Please don't throw me off this site it is to valuable wished I had found this secret society years ago, "Thank you for setting it up".

P.S. I am happy to donate to the operational fund of this site.

Kindest Regards
Beagles............
Dave Weir

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
Re: Member Status Awards
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 08:37:31 AM »
Dear Dave,

I thank you for mentioning my name for  "Knighthood" but I don't look to be put on a pedestal. That is one thing I disliked about HMEM, their Karma points. I believe that causes status seeking people to become member's just so they can say "Look at me, I'm better than you". I just like to give my 2¢ worth. If you take my advice and use it good, if not I don't have a problem with that.

I believe because all we do is give a guy a slap on the back here and say good job is why this forum works so well.

Also there are guys on here that are way better than me in their talents.

I hope I have understood what you were trying to say and gave a reasonable and understandable response.

Regards,
Bernd

P.S. Could be so kind as to point to the topic. I try to read all posts.
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 09:36:49 AM »
I too dislike karma points, attaboy's/attagirl's or whatever they call them on assorted forums. They cause to much friction and problems, When the "legends in their own minds", get into the measuring match to see who's longer than who!  :bang: I know of a number of boards/forums that had to remove them because it got to a point that some of the LITOM'S where stating that I know the only correct way that some thing needs to be done.

I do know that when I was in the navy, they taught us that "there is the right way, the wrong way, and the navy way" And I am old enough to know that there are as many ways to do things as members of this forum.

I also have mixed feelings on post counts as that to can cause the so called p*ssing matches between certain types because so and so has 25,000 plus posts.
Being a mod on another forum, recently I was attacked about answering posts, and suggesting that the new members use the search engine on the forum, rather than posting a question that every other newbie asks and no one will answer!  :doh:

The owner of the forum jumped in and told the long time members that I was doing what he wanted, since he started it as an archive of information, that he agreed with me that every one that asks a question, should receive at least a nudge in the correct direction. Whether it is a link to a resource, or use search.

Part of the problem is that my post count is over 8,000 and my reputation is @ 19 about 9 above others on the site. Now if they would read the comments they would find they are from people that couldn't find the info on other sites.

The other part was to much liquid enjoyment from the times the attack posts were posted.

Now you have to understand the 3 members never answer newbie posts etc. So they all said I was their best friend and they love me, but none apologized or deleted their posts. In a way they are a testament to their small silly mindlessness.

I have all ways said that the internet, and forums and boards are like high school with the same type of people. But the good thing is they schmucks and bullies can be voted off the island if they don't conform!  :thumbup:  :clap:  :dremel:

No karma points or changes to the forum status titles please! :nrocks:  :mmr:  :nrocks:

"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen

Offline arnoldb

• Windhoek, Namibia
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 10:57:14 AM »
Hi Dave

You missed Stew Hart and Rob Wilson  :bow:

Having said that:

I share Bernd's sentiments.  Thank you for the mention, but I do not consider myself to be a "knight".  When I started out with hobby engineering a little over two and a half years ago I knew absolutely nothing about machining, and with the generous help and posts from others on forums such as this one developed my skills.  I still have a heck of a lot to learn - in fact there is no such thing as a machinist who knows everything, and there's always something to learn for me in others' posts, beginners included.

My posts back on the forum is a way of repaying those that helped me along and inspired me to become as passionate as I am about hobby machining - by trying to carry on that same tradition.  It's also a way to share what I am doing; locally here in Namibia there are no hobby engineering societies or shows, so the forum is like a get-together place.  I like the bit of banter that gets added to the threads as they grow; it makes visiting MadModder fun, and adds to the enjoyment of adding posts.

It's important that there are people around giving guys a pat on the back - especially for newcomers to the hobby; it helps inspire confidence and provides motivation for carrying on, and well-meant positive criticism can also help prevent injury, tool breakages and such.  IMHO, the guys giving the pats on the back are needed just as much as "content contributors"; this is their way of contributing to making the forum the great place it is, and why their posts should be recognized as well.

Kind regards, Arnold

Offline Kjelle

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 01:03:42 PM »
Hi all!
One of the reasons I joined MadModder, was the friendly banter and all the free advice given... I read on a lot of other forums, up to and including Practical Machinist, and in my very humble opinion, MM is the best (even when Bogs isn't chiming in!). I tried to join another forum, not so much for the text content, but to get to the pictures and links... As I couldn't introduce myself quick enough, I was thrown out... All I wanted, was to have a look-see if it was worth my time.

No karma points, or other "ranking" stuff, please! I can't even produce a project right now, as my little shop space is taken up because of house stuff (with some "brown stuff" being worked on), and my garage is a disaster area! But I read and learn every single day!

Lots more to say, but time is running out!

Kjelle

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 01:22:27 PM »
Hi!

All suggestions are seriously looked at. We talked about doing the karma points at one time but we decided not to. I have seen on other boards that do this create a rift between members. I don't want to create a competition here for the most karma. It would be too easy to release plans and ask for a point for every download.

I think getting involved in conversation (whether or not you have a project going or not) is sufficient for us. We try to keep a relaxed atmosphere here where people aren't ashamed to show what they are doing or ask questions etc...

I would remove the status (post count) if I could...

Eric

PS. Donations are always welcome. There is a link somewhere on how to do it in the announcement section.
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 01:24:43 PM »
Beagles.
I left behind any sort of ranking system, when I left school, over 50yrs ago. No wish to go back there........

After a lifetime spent modifying pieces of metal, I bought a mini lathe and eventually joined here.

The reason being, we are a bunch of pals, "round at Eric's", talking over what we have made/ wish to make. Whatever it might be.......

No, one-upmanship or grading applies......

"That looks great", can be a tremendous boost to a beginner, or "expert".......

David D

David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2011, 01:48:27 PM »
, we are a bunch of pals, "round at Eric's", talking over what we have made/ wish to make. Whatever it might be.......

David D

Very well put David ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, i like that  :med: 

Rob  :)

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2011, 10:35:34 PM »
, we are a bunch of pals, "round at Eric's", talking over what we have made/ wish to make. Whatever it might be.......

David D

Very well put David ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, i like that  :med: 

Rob  :)

I have to agree with David and Rob.

Cheers  :beer:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline sparky961

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2011, 11:06:20 PM »
I lurk on a few other forums, but this is the only one I feel comfortable contributing to.  Why?  Because it is what it is and there's a conscious effort to keep it that way.

Although I like the idea of acknowledging some of the "greats" here, it's quite clear that part of what makes them that way is the lack of desire to be publicly acknowledged.

Politicians extol their leadership abilities.  True leaders do not.

-Sparky

Offline krv3000

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2011, 05:53:41 AM »
HI just my bit I'm a member of a few model engineering sites and out off all of them i prefer this one nice friendly and a above all understanding their is sum beautiful work gets dun on this forum with tools other foroms scorn at no mater Wat you do and haw well it turns out enjoy do wing it  regards bob