Author Topic: 7 1/4" Gauge Electric 0-4-0 Loco  (Read 23683 times)

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
Re: 7 1/4" Gauge Electric 0-4-0 Loco
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2010, 10:50:07 AM »
It got lost in the wash :( ISTR you turned some hex stock into bushes...
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2010, 10:54:09 AM »
Basically yeah! I just wrote a load of waffle with it but here are the pics anyway:

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2010, 05:27:05 AM »
Replay of wot you wrote still impresses me Nick!  :clap: :thumbup:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2010, 05:38:32 AM »
Thanks David  :thumbup:,

I really should have a running chassis in the next couple of weeks. Bit busy this weekend with a wedding so will have limited time though.

I think it's the body work that I'm really going to struggle with on this, I've not done much work, if any with sheet metal so it could ruin the whole thing but I'll give it a go. I'm tempted to cut and weld to get more use out of / practice with the welder but it could go horribly wrong. Might get my mate to do the welding and dress off with an angle grinder. Or I could try bolting it with that small brass angle I bought.  :scratch:

I guess the main plus point to come out of this was that replacing the capacitor on my lathe motor seems to have done the trick - touch wood!

Nick

Offline shoey51

« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2010, 01:48:58 AM »
this is a great build Nick
Just catching up on a few threads will be watching this with keen interest :thumbup:

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2010, 06:25:57 AM »
Hi Nick

I am still watching  :D Lookin good  :thumbup:

Would this be any use to you to control the speed/direction ........... has dead man return to zero and the lever  cannot be moved until the lower section of the knob is lifted , fitted with 5K pots but these can be changed out .

Rob

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2010, 07:37:32 AM »
Hi Rob

Exotic knob assembly you have there ...

What was that off, when it was alive ...

Posh, that  ... I'm impressed  :thumbup:

Dave BC
I have a few modest talents. Knowing what I'm doing isn't one of them.

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2010, 07:53:46 AM »
HI Dave

Its the Lift/slew control form a telescopic boom lift ,,, only done 50 hours work ,,, had to change it due to a slight creep to the left . Pot not centralised .

I was cold, wet ,hungry and plodging in mud so i just stuck a new one on , could not be arse to faff about with it  :coffee:

Rob

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2010, 10:07:29 AM »
Hi, Shoey, Rob  & Dave, thanks for the comments.

Rob, that's an impressive bit of kit, thanks for the offer but think it'd be wasted on this though! At the moment I've just got a double pole double throw switch, centre off for forward & reverse and the controller has the pot on flying leads. I realised after I didn't need a centre off switch as I'll need a normal on off switch before the controller too anyway.

Here are a few more pics - I've made a slight amount of progress since last time but then I came down with  :proj: and have started working on the design of something else - will start a new post!

I put the wheels on the axles where I thought they should go but took it to the club track to try before I made anything more permanent. Good job, it was too sloppy. I'd allowed 1mm clearance either side as the rad on the wheel tread was 1mm, but it seems I can push them a bit further out maybe by 1-2mm.

This makes the wheels pretty damn close to the frame - i'll need to turn some spacers to stop the axle floating too much and the wheels rubbing on the frame. If it's too close I can always skim a little off the outside of the wheels.

I need to mill a flat on the axles where the gear grubs screws will tighten onto. The wheels are quite a tight fit at the moment - not sure whether to knurl the portion of the axle and press them onto it with loctite or just loctite.

Then I need to make up the slotted cross braces which will stop the motors from rotating about the axles and stop them sliding along the axles, they will be welded into position - I think, well if it still allows disassembly they will be.

Then there is wiring to do, the body of course and lots of cosmetic bits like bearing covers & buffers. I have bought the materials for those.

My dad had a good idea, I think it will be easier to make the body from wood, maybe thin plywood or MDF then fill bits and paint.

Still a long way to go! Hopefully I'll get it done before xmas so it can be a surprise for my sons - they've sort of forgotten about it, the oldest one (4 1/2) kept saying, "daddy, are we going to make that train today" thinking it would be done and dusted in a couple of hours!

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2011, 04:50:49 AM »
Still a long way to go! Hopefully I'll get it done before xmas so it can be a surprise for my sons - they've sort of forgotten about it, the oldest one (4 1/2) kept saying, "daddy, are we going to make that train today" thinking it would be done and dusted in a couple of hours!

Not sure how I landed here, Nick!  BUT?? :scratch:

It's been a year now........  :palm:

Any further progress? Those lads are getting older, all the time........  :D

David D

David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline ksor

• Turn off the TV - life ain't replayed !
    • Keld's hjemmeside
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2011, 12:11:49 PM »
MAYBE, maybe you have a problem with your wheels if you drive in curves !

Maybe you will see breach of your axles, because the "drive foot" is parrellel to the axles.
Best regards
KSor, Denmark
Skype name: keldsor

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2011, 02:49:07 PM »
David, you're right! It's the next project I am due to drop back onto but I can't seem to muster up any determination to get in the garage to be honest ... pretty poor really. :(

Ksor, sorry I'm not sure if I understand what you mean, do you mean the flange on the wheels? They should have a radius on them I think, I can't see it affecting much though, minimum radius curve on our track is 50 feet. Or are you talking about something else?

Nick

Offline ksor

• Turn off the TV - life ain't replayed !
    • Keld's hjemmeside
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2011, 03:52:57 PM »
That is what I mean - the flanges should be conical - not much but conical, I beleave.
Best regards
KSor, Denmark
Skype name: keldsor