Author Topic: Nice freebie? Top end of a small milling machine  (Read 7951 times)

Offline hopefuldave

Nice freebie? Top end of a small milling machine
« on: November 26, 2011, 08:08:16 AM »
Well, never one to pass a skip without a quick rummage, I strained my back pulling out the head of a hobby milling machine very much like this: http://www.lathemaster.com/Lathemaster%20LM25L%20Milling%20Machine.htm (only the colour has been changed, to protect the innocent, and an MT2 taper rather than R8) - plus the swivel it sits on, back as far as the dovetail for the square column - there's a break in the casting where the speed control unit's arm bolted on, but running it up the motor, speed control and gears work fine, quill moves as it should, spindle seems to be pretty true...

OK, it's Chinese and metric so might be a bit inappropriate, but I'm thinking of making up a column arrangement to bolt to the T-slotted flat on the back of my Holbrook's bed, giving me 28" x 10" or so of traverse if I bolt work down to the cross-slide T-slots...

Any suggestions on the column? Ideally I'd like a square column (perhaps with a dovetail to match the existing swivel) to give some height adjustment (probably have a leadscrew I can use for elevation), and Bridgeport-style sliding ram arrangement - is heavy-weight steel box-section (a Volvo towbar, guess where it came from!) going to be rigid enough, or will it vibrate and wobble like wet spaghetti?

Any ideas appreciated!

Dave H.
Rules are for the obedience of fools, and the guidance of wise men.

Offline hopefuldave

Re: Nice freebie? Top end of a small milling machine
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 02:37:48 PM »
OK, no replies so far, but... :proj:

My thoughts so far - excuse the ropey cad drawing!

The elevation and fore-aft motions are powered by wiper motors - and yeah, before anyone says "stepper motors" I thought of that too!

Dave H.

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 03:32:48 PM »
Hi Dave

This looks like it could be a very interesting project  :proj:  ,,, i take it your lathe is big and   hand wheels would be out of reach to raise the head ,is that why your going for motors ?  :dremel:

Rob

Offline hopefuldave

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 03:38:20 PM »
Yep, two tons of 50's toolroom lathe in far too little space - I have to climb over it to check the oil or set the taper attachment and open a window in the shed if I have to deal with *long* workpieces! Winding the ram up and down would be a bit awkward...

I'm hoping that it'll be rigid enough if I use box-section (been reading a few articles on t'internet re torsional stiffness and bending moments) rather than solid for the column and ram, as stiffness seems to depend more on the overall dimensions than the mass of the metal I might be OK? I have considered filling the box with concrete for a bit more mass and vibration damping - back in WW2 this was a method for conserving materials when building machine tools!

I've been lucky enough to get a couple of free leadscrews (scrapped as the plain ends were bent, so they can be cut down and a new section let in and loctited) that can be pressed into service  for the elevation and ram fore-and-aft, the local scrapper has wiper motors for Not Much Money, so it's starting to look feasible :) I'd quite like to use a worm and wheel for the head "nodding" but that may be tricky in view of the loads involved - certainly the worm and wheel on a Bridgeport/clone is under a lot of stress and a known point of failure :( It'd have to transmit about 100 ft-lb of torque, and I haven't yet found the calculations to verify it'd be possible.

Before I get into this I ought to get my poorly QC 'box and new threading dog clutches sorted, though (means finding a few gears and the right bearings, teaching myself ally casting - conceptual drawings done, details still to come)... Still, at least I have the mill head stashed on a shelf and a few daft ideas!

Dave H.

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 03:53:19 PM »
Hmmm... I wish I had some suggestions. You might want to check out CNCzone for some ideas. Those guys build CNC machines from scratch. You might be able to glean some stuff from some of the build logs over there. What do you plan to cut with it?

Looks to be a cool project.
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline hopefuldave

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2011, 06:45:25 AM »
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll take a look at what the CNC folks are doing!

As to its purpose... at present my milling facilities (apart from the pretty basic machine at work) are on the lathe and involve taking off the topslide, bolting it to an angle plate on the cross-slide (t-slotted) and bolting a vice on the front - not too rigid, and a right faff to set up!
I don't imagine taking hefty hogging cuts, as the mill head won't be up to it (I assume), most of its work will be in ally making bits for motorbikes and air-rifles etc. (my/SWMBO's hobby and my son's respectively). Of course, it'll also be making tools to make tools to make tools... :D

Dave H.