Author Topic: Gradating tool  (Read 11358 times)

Offline Gerhard Olivier

Gradating tool
« on: January 15, 2009, 01:23:00 PM »
This is my last project - a graduting tool.

Kit from hemmingway kits

It was a great project  :D
Still havent used it on anything real :( but want to complete the tapping and staking tool also by hemmingway kits and will need to graduate 360 deg around the 6 inch base.

Gerhard
Guernsey
Channel Islands

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
Re: Gradating tool
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 04:46:21 PM »
I'm liking that Gerhard  :thumbup:   Nice looking tool  :clap:

I have always wondered about an easy way you put those damn lines on... Not that I've had to do it yet.... But someday I might?

And you've just shown me what I needed to remember for that day  :headbang:

How much machining is involved in their kits? Are they from solid stock?

I've never really looked at them  ::)

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 04:53:36 PM »
Nice looking tool Gerhard :thumbup:

I've looked at hemingway kits a few times, some time in the future I want to build a tool grinder.

Have
 :wave:
Fun

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline Gerhard Olivier

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 05:58:35 PM »
It took me a saturday and a few short sesions- not a lot of actual machining more think time. Somebody with some experience would be able to do in very shot time.

Only difficult??????? part was to bore a hole 75mm deep to very close tolerance for the bushings

Most of the parts just take drilling, facing tapping etc.

Gerhard
Guernsey
Channel Islands

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 06:40:32 PM »
Took me a while to figure out what it was and what use it serves.

Then how?....think I got it now, makes marks on a dial dunit?

left side it the cutter/line maker, right side top bar the depth stop? Top middle is a lever.

You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009, 10:53:20 PM »
I am lost. Whats it do?

It looks very neat whatever it does.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

bogstandard

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 12:09:11 AM »
Eric,

http://www.hemingwaykits.com/acatalog/Graduating_Tool.html

I am sure, that if the correct questions are asked, one could easily be knocked up out of the raw.

John

Offline Gerhard Olivier

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 04:43:28 AM »
When u look at a metal rule it has long lines for all the 0 10 etc.,  medium length on all the 5 ,15 etc and then short ones inbetween.

The graduating tool cuts these lines in staight or round metal like lathe or mill index wheels.  :smart:

Hope the explain helps if someone is a better teacher pt help. :scratch:

Gerhard
Guernsey
Channel Islands

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2009, 11:30:32 AM »
When I look at the one presented by Gerhard and then the one in the link from John, add that with this description :
lines for all the 0 10 etc.,  medium length on all the 5 ,15 etc and then short ones inbetween

I figure that you set the spike on the top so that it enters the deepest hole in the wheel on the top of the tool till it stops, then set your workpiece so that the cutter extends, lets say 6mm (just an increment, use a 1/4" if you feel happier?) set it to just touch the work piece then retract the cutter (push handle forwards)  and then set a very small depth increase, say 0.1mm? and when the lever is pulled backwards the cutter shoots out and scores a groove into the metal workpiece.

Then you move the tool or workpiece (lets say 1mm) and turn the dial on the top of the tool to the shallowest hole say 2mm and pull the handle again, This would have scored a much shorter line onto the workpiece next to the longer one you just made because the pin has hit the bottom of the shallow hole in the wheel on the top of the tool. Similarly there could be a medium (half way between the long and short settings) line setting for (as Gerhard said)  the "medium" say 4mm line.

That's what I can make out from all the above. Am I correct?

Hope that's not too over figured? or too incorrect!!!  (If it's incorrect... Then I think it will work like I said? :) )

I've never seen or even thought of using such a tool before Gerhards post.... I always thought you painstakingly used your cross slide or Z feed on the mill to move a sharp tool accross the workpiece?! .... Now I'm thinking this could be used not only for it's intended purpose but even the posibility of adding patterns, flair or dare I say it.... bling! To your work!?

Couple this with the pencil die grinder and either a (dressed) stone or a carbide burr and you could have a very interesting tool for making very accurate lined patterns or accurate indents of all manner of shapes in your metal work?!

My mind is a glow, with whirling transient nodes of thought, careening through a cosmic vapour of invention  :med: .....(love that Quote  :thumbup: )

Well, the cog's are turning anyway, You've got to be happy when things come out of others posts that you'd not thought of before!    :D

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline old-biker-uk

• Taunton, Somerset
    • An Old Biker's Stuff
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2009, 04:21:36 PM »
Nice job Geroli, they don't get used that often but when you want one - you want one!
This one was described in the Model Engineer Vol.136.1121 (1970) by Radford.

Sits in the tool cupboard most of the time but came into it's own on several George Thomas projects such as the micro adjuster on the dividing equipment, replacement topslide dial on my Myford etc.

Mark
What you say and what people hear are not always the same thing.

Offline Gerhard Olivier

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2009, 01:53:57 PM »
That is nicely done I assume its is a rack and gear :scratch:(flat gear and a round one????)that does the pushing.

Seems a lot more work but then that is half the fun

Gerhard
Guernsey
Channel Islands

Offline old-biker-uk

• Taunton, Somerset
    • An Old Biker's Stuff
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2009, 02:03:07 PM »
...I assume its is a rack and gear ...
Correct - at the time I was into gear-cutting and had just cut a shed load of gears for a geometric chuck so one rack and one more small gear was not a problem.
Mark
What you say and what people hear are not always the same thing.

bogstandard

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2009, 02:56:49 PM »
I use engraving tools very similar to the ones shown here, so I do any graduating on my mill. For straight I use the vice, and for circular graduations, the rotary table.

Not as easy to use as a graduating tool because I have to think about engraving distance, but it does me for the small amount I want.

http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/New-Products/Cutting-Tools

sgoB