Author Topic: Making a Slitting Saw Arbour  (Read 8768 times)

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
Making a Slitting Saw Arbour
« on: January 15, 2009, 05:27:18 PM »
A little mini project for tonight........ :dremel:

I had the need to use a slitting saw as part of my ongoing valve project shown here http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=417.0

Some time ago I bought these from a local market stall and now it was time to have a go at using them

The blades seemed to be ok, but the arbour left a lot to be desired. Firstly it didn't hold the blade central as there was no locating lip and secondly the arbour shaft bent when I brought the cutting edge up to the work. The machine wasn't even switched on at the time. Closer inspection revealed that the arbour was in fact made of butter.

Not to be deterred I set about making a new and much stronger arbour from a piece of SS bar end that was knocking around. I have not taken loads of pic's as it's a pretty straightforward turning exercise.
The key points are, 19mm dia bar stock. End turned to 13mm or so leaving a 6mm location section at the tip for the saw blade. Drilled and tapped 4mm. End cap has inner surface concaved to give a much tighter hold pressure. The allen bolt has has it's head turned down slightly simply to true it up and make it less obtrusive.

Hopefully the pictures should reveal all.

Now to use it !!  :dremel:
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 05:30:10 PM by Darren »
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Re: Making a Slitting Saw Arbour
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 10:54:21 PM »
Very nice!

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

bogstandard

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 12:02:36 AM »
Nice one Darren, a real pigs ear to silk purse job on it.

Next time I am at the market, I will have a look for some of those. I am always on the lookout for useful little items like that.

Will await on your comments as to whether they will cut thru tungsten or not.

John

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 03:37:27 PM »
Thanks guys,
Simple enough to make, but really nice to use as it's so smooth when cutting.

Tools should have abit of meat on em, makes all the difference.... :scratch:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 08:47:11 AM »
Hope you're not still waiting there John, must be getting tired by now... :lol: :lol: :lol:

bogstandard

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 09:31:45 AM »
I've had this page open for the last three and a half months.

Can't trust some people :lol:

Bogs