Author Topic: Colchester Triumph 2000 repairs and recomission  (Read 27687 times)

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Re: Colchester Triumph 2000 repairs and recomission
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2015, 04:26:51 PM »
Nice to seeing it all coming together, and as Sid says, the pictures are excellent  :thumbup:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline vintageandclassicrepairs

« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2015, 04:12:20 PM »
Hi, All,
This past week has been hectic and time on the lathe refurb very limited, I had most of this work completed more than a week ago but only now have time to post up on progress.

This Colchester lathe was wired with mains 380/440 volt control wiring , Not a good idea when you look at the swarf that had found its way into the control push button box   :zap: :zap:
I am running it from a 240v single phase supply through an inverter
The inverter is housed in a wall mounted panel and has an additional cooling fan /filter which runs when the motor does.  A motor speed control pot is also panel mounted, it or another could be also mounted on the machine if needed, (8 spare cores on the control cable)

I removed the original contactor panel from the lathe, and built a new one to suit 110v control voltage
A 240/110v transformer in the wall panel feeds the control circuit,
I kept the original wiring to the control buttons, so as the lathe could revert to its original configuration if required, (if I get fed up with it and sell it)
The main motor start /stop buttons now switchs a small relay which sends a signal to the inverter to run up/ wind down  the motor,
I modified a latching stop button to fit the lathe front panel, it adds an extra safety margin and also brings it up to date more!
The coolant pump contactor supply is looped from the main motor feed and controlled from its original buttons
Even though the label plate on the pump showed dual voltage, the low voltage winding ends are not brought out to the terminal box  :bang: so it will need some further surgery

I made a bracket to mount the oil filter head in place, time will tell if this is a good enough location, It clears all moving parts ok but I could only get one stud fitted from the bracket to the filter head

Cheers for now
John

Offline Bobsmodels

« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2015, 06:37:14 PM »
Hi John

I just saw your post and as I have a 15" Triumph 2000 have found your article very informative.  Mine is working order but the carriage gearbox leaks like a sieve.
Mine is set up with an Impero toolpost system.  If you can find one they are unbelievable in versatility.   I attached a pic of my lathe.  The hoist stays on the toolpost all the time as I cannot lift the chucks.

Bob

Offline vintageandclassicrepairs

« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2015, 06:02:20 PM »
Hi Bob,
I have yet to "attack" the carriage gearbox, Time on the project has dried up due to more pressing issues
I drained the carriage gearbox and what came out was pretty manky!! no water though which can be a problem with these lathes as the coolant can find its way in there  :bang:
I poured in a litre or so of kerosene and immedietly it started to leak out the bottom plate joint   :doh:
I put a catch tray underneath and walked away  :(

I have not seen a system like you have before ?? It looks really cool  :clap:
My plan is to fit a gantry over the lathe and use an electric hoist to lift the chucks,
I mostly use a 4 jaw chuck as my work usually involves repairing existing parts which can be clocked up true in it

Best Regards
John