Author Topic: How to Suck Eggs!  (Read 15134 times)

Offline Aestus57

• Caithness, Scotland
How to Suck Eggs!
« on: January 10, 2012, 12:10:59 PM »
 :smart:

I was browsing Tubal Cain's videos the other day and noticed that all his lathes had the topslide swung round at an angle, which got me thinking why??

I first thought that it was just to get it out of the way of the tailstock but then with a flash of inspiration I realised that having it swung round to 30 degrees would be very useful indeed.

Suppose you were turning a piece down to 0.250" and after getting close measured with a micrometer at 0.262" i.e. 12 thou oversize, put a cut on of 12 thou with the topslide and you would get a movement of 6 thou at the tool tip because Sin 30deg = 0.500 X 12 = 6 thou.

No more having to divide measurements by 2 to put the right amount of cut on.

Yes I know its simple..... but so am I..... and you all probably knew this already.... but it never occurred to me before!!!

:doh:
Think I'm suffering De Ja Vu and Amnesia at the same time, I'm sure I've forgotten this before!

Offline Jonny

Re: How to Suck Eggs!
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 05:46:08 PM »
Not much good when working to exact lengths, lose zero.

Many decent lathes cross slide markings are for diameter so no need to halve.

Some like to thread cut that way.

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
  • Machinist Extraordinaire
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 07:21:48 AM »
It should actually be set at 29.5 degrees. That way the back of the tool doesn't rub when you feed in. And lathes come with both direct and indirect reading dials. I like to thread cut with an indicator on the crosslide. I'll try and post a picture of my setup and my threading chart. An old friend gave me the chart. I haven't seen one like it before.

~Wes~
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline WillieL

• This space for rent.
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 04:31:42 PM »
Any luck on that picture and chart yet Wes?
Enquiring minds want to know.
WillieL

Midwestern USA

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
  • Machinist Extraordinaire
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 08:45:11 PM »
Sorry, Been pretty busy. I need to thread a couple parts on my Penny. I'll take good pictures of my setup and post the chart then. Thanks for your patience:o)

~Wes~
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline villiers

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 08:53:32 PM »
Tubal Cain liked to cut threads by coming in at an angle using the top slide rather than direct plunge cutting. For Whitworth threads you can set the topslide at 27.5 degrees, for Metric, UNF, UNC, etc you can set it at 30 degrees. Years ago he wrote an article on it in Model Engineer and included a useful chart giving the various thread depths to make life easy.
I have the article reference somewhere and his thread chart permanently hangs by my lathe. I've used his top slide method since reading the article and find it suits me.
Cheers, 

Offline Xldevil

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 10:57:43 PM »
Tubal Cain liked to cut threads by coming in at an angle using the top slide rather than direct plunge cutting. For Whitworth threads you can set the topslide at 27.5 degrees, for Metric, UNF, UNC, etc you can set it at 30 degrees. Years ago he wrote an article on it in Model Engineer and included a useful chart giving the various thread depths to make life easy.
I have the article reference somewhere and his thread chart permanently hangs by my lathe. I've used his top slide method since reading the article and find it suits me.
Cheers,
Hello.

Youtube's Tubalcain,aka mrpete222 from Illinois, is not identical to the passed away (British?)guy who wrote in Model Engineer under that pseudonym.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Walshaw

You know,the name Tubalcain quotes the Bible.There is no copyright.
http://bible.cc/genesis/4-22.htm

Cheers,Ralph
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 11:29:21 PM by Xldevil »

Offline Paddy OFernichur

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 09:11:37 PM »
I find it fascinating that "mrpete222" thinks so much of himself that it's OK with him to take on the moniker of both a biblical character and a guy who was actually quite good at machining.

I've seen enough amateur mistakes, poor techniques and downright dangerous acts to think differently although many think of him as a mensch. He actually cuts himself pretty good in one video as he coils-up or uncoils a bandsaw blade in the completely wrong and dangerous way. No corrected method was shown.

His videos on grinding tools are fairly good and certainly better than the ones I've never made, so who am I to have a dim view of him?  :wack:

Maybe I just don't like the name thing and it went downhill from there.  :poke:

Offline DaveH

• Kempton Park, South Africa
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 11:07:55 PM »
I find it fascinating that "mrpete222" thinks so much of himself that it's OK with him to take on the moniker of both a biblical character and a guy who was actually quite good at machining.

I've seen enough amateur mistakes, poor techniques and downright dangerous acts to think differently although many think of him as a mensch. He actually cuts himself pretty good in one video as he coils-up or uncoils a bandsaw blade in the completely wrong and dangerous way. No corrected method was shown.

I'm with you there Ken 100% :clap:

The bandsaw one is quite funny (not supposed to be) he manages to  lacerate his wrist.

:beer:
DaveH
(Ex Leicester, Thurmaston, Ashby De La Zouch.)

Offline cfellows

• In Memoriam
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2012, 12:10:01 AM »
I keep my compound set at 30 degrees.  Not sure why.  I guess parallel to the ways would be more useful.

Chuck

Offline AndyB

• Cry 'god for Harry, England, and Drummond lathes'
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2012, 08:11:30 AM »
Hi guys,

I am with you there about Mr Pete...it is like me calling myself Joseph Whitworth!  :scratch:

Paddy; what do you mean by 'mensch'? I speak German and it means human...what else would he be? :lol:
As Churchill once said, 'We are two people divided by a common language'  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Andy
Waveney Valley, Suffolk/Norfolk Border

Offline joshagrady

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2012, 09:03:45 AM »
...what do you mean by 'mensch'? I speak German and it means human...what else would he be? :lol:
As Churchill once said, 'We are two people divided by a common language'  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Andy

Actually, in this case, it's two different languages -- German and Yiddish.  In the latter, "mensch" is "good person" or a "person of integrity. 

Offline AndyB

• Cry 'god for Harry, England, and Drummond lathes'
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2012, 01:09:07 PM »
Thanks for the clarification Josh.

Andy
Waveney Valley, Suffolk/Norfolk Border

Offline Topos

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2012, 10:47:39 PM »

I'm with you there Ken 100% :clap:

The bandsaw one is quite funny (not supposed to be) he manages to  lacerate his wrist.

DaveH

Thank you for this information as I was, in a weak moment, contemplating purchasing such
a device. Being the errant coward that I am my visualizing me being the victim of
'The Revolt of the Machines' I am happily going to stick to my primitive but better-for
the cardiovascular system of a new blade in an old hack saw.  :smart:

Offline Xldevil

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2012, 11:42:17 AM »
I really like this old guy and his voice.
Although this guy is not perfect,who actually is,I learned a lot by watching his videos.
If somenone can do better,go ahead,do it.
Cheers,Ralph

Offline Ronkh

« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2012, 01:59:42 PM »
I really like this old guy and his voice.
Although this guy is not perfect,who actually is,I learned a lot by watching his videos.
If somenone can do better,go ahead,do it.
Cheers,Ralph
Just me!

Offline nel2lar

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2012, 01:29:19 AM »
Sound like a lot of guy have there panties in a wade. Why are we on the attack or is it just jealousy? We all have our short comings and at the same time we have ares we shine. Why we attack something someone does because we thing its wrong, well shame on you. When machinist first cut there teeth in the shops, the machinist with the experience would not teach. What was learned was on your own, and some was smart enough to make it. Any one can cut steal or any other metal with the right tool. And I've seen a many mouse traps and they all worked. Climb down from your thrones and enjoy life, it will be over before you know it.
Nelson Collar

Offline micktoon

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2012, 10:05:08 AM »
  I am with Ralph & Nelson, Mrpete222, has shown me lots of things I did not know and made other things easy to understand compared to maybe how a book would explain the same thing  :scratch:. It must have taken him lots and lots and lots of his own time to do all his machining videos and he looks like a bloke that has plenty intrests and jobs he could be doing for himself. From what I have seen on youtube, even if he might not be 100% correct all the time he is still one of the best on there.   
  His voice/ accent is cool as a cucumber ( and coming from a Geordie ) others can understand what he is saying too :lol: , he also has a dry sense of humour that has had me chuckling a good few times  :D , especially about the lady with a mushtash that sells him his nuts and bolts  :)
   So all in all, good on the bloke, he should be getting plenty of  :beer:  :thumbup:  :bow:  :clap:  :med:  in my book. The same goes for Jody from weldingtipsand tricks on youtube......... quality welding tips by him.

As Ralph says , if anyone has the time and thinks they can do better ............ :ddb: .................. get on and do it we will all watch and learn  :thumbup:

Cheers Mick 

Offline Pete49

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2012, 11:52:58 PM »
I think its the name Tubalcain that he uses is the main cause. Maybe if he just stuck to 'mrpete222' he wouldn't get attacked. Other than that he fills a niche
Pete
oops..........oh no.........blast now I need to redo it

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2012, 01:56:53 AM »
The "original" Tubal Cain........ Much appreciated, Tom Walshaw, is still fresh in many peoples memories.

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline Doc

• Old but still usefull (I hope) ?
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2012, 12:31:53 PM »
  There is a reason for keeping the compound slide at 29.5 degrees it is set there for threading plunging straight in puts strain on the tool bit and actually rips the thread and ends up chipping the tool a lot of time unless you take very small cuts. When you advance at 29.5 you cut only with the leading edge of the tool bit and you can take larger cuts without chipping tool.
   How I was taught many years ago and it has always preformed good is in thread cutting advance the compound to the end of its stroke the touch off stock using cross slide then back off compound adjust cross slide in double the thread depth. Now proceed cutting thread advancing the compound until you reach end of travel and there you are thread finished.   
    Anyway I seen this thread and the speculations at why the compound was set as it was I hope I made sense, I've been using this method for 40 years and it has always worked for me.