Author Topic: MadModder and other message boards  (Read 7902 times)

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
MadModder and other message boards
« on: January 17, 2012, 11:12:36 AM »
Hi guys!

I just want to touch on a couple of things concerning MadModder and other message boards...

As far as we are concerned (We being the staff of MM), we have no issues with other boards. Some boards we work well with (IE HMEM, we share moderators). Some boards don't like us. Those boards that don't like us? Doesn't bother me. That is their problem not ours.

But on the stance of that, we would appreciate not commenting on other boards here. Let them do their thing and we will do ours. So please, do not speak negatively about other boards here. When we find threads with negative comments about other boards, they will either be locked or removed. We do not want to stoop to levels of flaming other boards. Leave that to other people. All we are doing is giving them more reasons to hate us. We are better than that.

'What about links?' you might be asking. That is fine. Post up a link to another board showcasing one of their threads. We are OK with that and always have been (just don't be obnoxious about it and use us for advertising).

Copying posts? Don't do it. Post a link and give credit where credit is due. None of us like our stuff being copied without credit being given.

I for one am sick of the bickering between boards. We are a small community as it is. We share many of the same members (NO, you will not be banned because you are a member elsewhere or because you recommended another board to a member).

It is time to stop.

Eric and the staff of MadModder

Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Deko

Re: MadModder and other message boards
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 01:58:03 PM »
Spot on Eric  :thumbup:

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 02:24:39 PM »
Very nicely put, Eric!  :thumbup:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 02:36:59 PM »
That will do me  :thumbup:

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline sparky961

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 02:41:35 PM »
 :thumbup:

Offline AndyB

• Cry 'god for Harry, England, and Drummond lathes'
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 03:57:01 PM »
Spot on Eric

:nrocks:

Andy
Waveney Valley, Suffolk/Norfolk Border

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 04:32:33 PM »
Sounds fair enough to me :thumbup: :thumbup:
John

Offline Davo J

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 08:00:49 PM »
Hi Eric,
I totally agree and my apologies for my recent posts here about another forum.
Moddmodder is a great forum and always has been since it started.  :beer:
You and the mods do a great job at keeping it running smoothly, and always advise us in advance if there is going to be any down time, so thank you all.
 :mmr:

Dave

Offline Tony Wells

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 11:50:49 PM »
By way of introduction, I'd like to add my voice to Eric's in desiring and establishing a cooperative spirit between online Forums who share not only many common interests, but as he mentioned, even some common members.  As representing another Forum, I wish for only peaceful relations between us and Madmodder.net, and I see absolutely no reason that it can't be so.

Of course, at the root of the situation are the members of all forums concerned, and their conduct. I'm confident that any difficulties in the past can be resolved, and new issues avoided if we all treat each other as we would like to be treated. Common courtesy is appreciated by all who receive it. There should be no reason that mature adults can't peacefully coexist. It is my goal, and mission, to promote genial behavior at the forum I represent. And if necessary, censure anyone who may intentionally violate the peaceful spirit I expect from members where I am Administrator.

I wholeheartedly agree and endorse the same types of policy Eric has outlined above. As long as all parties respect those guidelines, there is no reason to continue any contentious acrimony or animosity between Forums. In fact, I'd like to see more cooperation between them. Every Forum has its specialty, and every forum its weakness. There is no reason Forums can't act in a complimentary fashion. This is not a competition. As hobby machinists mostly, the management is only providing a disservice to the members by creating an atmosphere that promotes hostile attitudes towards other Forums. There is nothing wrong with making reference to information found elsewhere on the Internet. We've all posted links to sources other than our own Forum. Why should any other Forum be off limits in this respect? Isn't the primary goal of these groups the promotion of the hobby, along with preventing some artful knowledge being lost due to attrition? I'm all for whatever it takes to preserve this knowledge, and encourage more people to become involved, and interested in learning these skills before they disappear.

Well, so much for a short intro. Personal details aside, that's who I am. I'll answer any questions posed, as plainly as I can, and
honestly.

Sincerely, and Best Regards to the members of Madmodders,

Tony Wells
  Administrator - Hobby-Machinist.com
Resistance is NOT Futile,
it is Voltage Divided By Current!

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 02:33:08 AM »
Hi Tony  :wave:

Glad you could come by. I pretty much agree with everything you have said... I would just add a side note if I may. Referencing information elsewhere, whether it is a vendor page, another forum or a blog does require acknowledgement to the creator of that information. It may not be required by law, but it is moral and respectful of the persons time who created the content.

To the members here,

If you have any specific questions for Tony, please feel free to send him a PM. I would prefer this post not to take a down turn in discussion.

Thanks
Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Davo J

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, 02:44:35 AM »
Welcome Tony  :beer:
 :mmr:

Dave

Offline Tony Wells

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2012, 03:09:18 AM »
Just to clarify, by "referencing information elsewhere", I was implying that proper credit be given if the material is quoted.  That should be accepted as standard procedure. In general, if a substantial amount of material is needed, using a direct link to the original source may be a more suitable approach.

Oh, and thanks, Dave. I appreciate it and am glad to be here.
Resistance is NOT Futile,
it is Voltage Divided By Current!