Author Topic: Tom Senior Mill  (Read 4714 times)

Offline villiers

Tom Senior Mill
« on: February 23, 2012, 08:41:27 PM »
The suds pump on my newly acquired Tom Senior mill was absolutely solid with muck when I got it and has obviously been so for years. This is a pump that is permanently on when the mill is operating. On mine the drive belt was just slipping in the drive pulley as the pump was seized solid. I am now cleaning it out but have struck a small problem.
It has what looks like a bleed pipe on the outlet side so even if you have the suds turned off there is always a little flow through the pump to prevent it getting hot and bothered. The bleed pipe is hammered flat to reduce it to some predetermined size that works well as a bleed but doesn't effect the suds flow.
Investigation shows mine to be hammered completely flat and painted over with factory paint. Consequently I don't know whether the factory decided the bleed was unnecessary, whether the hole is tiny and under the paint and I just haven't found it yet, whether someone made it badly, whether the painter was careless painting over it, and so the list goes on.
I'm hoping there is another Tom Senior mill operator out there who can point me in the right direction.
Cheers from sunny Melbourne

Offline rotorhead

Re: Tom Senior Mill
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 01:16:40 AM »
Hi Villiers,

Whilst not actually pertaining to your Tom Senior mill, I junked the inbuilt suds pumps on my machines and bought a central heating circulating pump, using the inbuilt tank on the Colchester, I welded in a valved outlet, rigid plastic hose connected the pump.

The outlet rubber pipe of the pump to the suds tap on the lathe was slit, just above the open top of the tank to act as a relief.

A tee piece was added to the base of the tap upright on the saddle, to feed the miller, with a return drain to the lathe tray, everything is kept together.

Everybody has their own way of accomplishing their own goals, so another approach may help you overcome your problem.

If you would like a photo of the setup, just say.
Chris
Sunny Scunny,
North Lincolnshire.