Author Topic: Found Space!  (Read 5833 times)

Offline cfellows

• In Memoriam
Found Space!
« on: February 27, 2012, 09:42:44 PM »
My shop shares a 2 1/2 car garage with a car and a pickup and, yes, I do park the truck and car in the garage every night.   :Doh:  Floor space, wall space, and worktop space are all at a premium, so when I find a place to put something without getting rid of something else, I'm always very pleased with myself.

I spend a lot of time in my shop and would like to have a spot for my laptop computer out there.   I use the computer for reference, for my drawings, and other things, but I've always been loathe to keep it on the workbench.  First of all, I rarely have room for it on my workbench and I'm always worried I'll bang something into it, spill something on it or find some other inventive way to damage it.   And, that's not the most comfortable height for it when I'm standing up. 

So, today, I finally cobbled together a bunch of found parts and pieces to make a laptop stand that fits at the end of my workbench, uses previously unoccupied space, and is now at a comfortable level to view and well out of the way of typical workbench clutter.  Here's a couple of pictures of the completed unit.

The setup is very rigid but the fit of the pipe nipple inside the 1" diameter steel tube is loose enough to easily slide in and out and allow the top to rotate.

Chuck

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Re: Found Space!
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 11:26:53 PM »
I am sooooo gonna steal that idea!  :ddb: :ddb: :ddb:

:nrocks: :nrocks: :nrocks:

Thanks Chuck

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline AussieJimG

• In Memoriam
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 05:08:38 AM »
Well done Chuck. And like all brilliant ideas, it is so simple that it is obvious when you see it. And I am gobsmacked that you build all of those wonderful engines in the space you describe.

Jim

Offline z3t4

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 06:21:52 AM »
Space, maybe. But you have no floor. So you're still one of us :D

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 10:35:30 AM »
Nice one Chuck. Great idea, but add some sides to that stand. Never know, you might knock it off with a long __________ (fill in balnk).  :)

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline WillieL

• This space for rent.
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 09:47:23 PM »

I spend a lot of time in my shop....

Yeah..... the can crusher was a dead give away.   :lol:

Just teasing. But I agree with Bernd. Some guard rails for the laptop platform would be some cheap insurance.   :beer:
WillieL

Midwestern USA

Offline cfellows

• In Memoriam
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 05:58:02 PM »
Another use for my laptop stand...

Chuck