Author Topic: My tiny shop.  (Read 8829 times)

Offline Catshooter

My tiny shop.
« on: March 28, 2012, 12:34:40 PM »
Hello all.  Very nice forum you have here.  Thought I'd share my little slice of heaven.  It is about eight feet by nine feet, or, about three meters by two and a third meters.  The ceiling is about seven feet.  Worse than that though due to it's construction I can hang almost nothing from it.  Pity. 

Here's my lathe (Sherline):

I love the little bugger.  If I do my part it does his.  Bought this baby about ten years ago, it repaced their smaller lathe.  I have most of their attachments for it, some of which I have even used!

My mill (Sherline):

Some years back Sherline offered an 18 inch table and column.  I snapped them up.  Wonderful tools.

Another shop view:

The Kennedy tool box is a real problem.  It's running out of space and I'm not sure how that happens. :)  Up high on the right is my compressor.  It's output runs in a copper tube to the left where I made a very simple radiator just above my air conditioner.  Then back to the right (downhill all the way) where the controls/manifolding is.  The two eleven gallon receivers are on the floor beneath the compressor.  Don't show in the photo.

I went with this set up as I live in the USA in Florida.  Doesn't get all that humid here, I've seen it as low as 65%!   Usually it runs about 80% and up.  So I wanted to get as much water out of the air as I could.  Works well as I never get water out of the air hose.

Unlike many of you talented people I don't really make much in my shop.  Mostly I repair and modify stuff to suit.  I shoot and enjoy firearms, most of my 58 years.  I work on mine alot.  This is also where I cast my bullets and do my reloading.  I also fix whatever I need to to keep momma happy.  I retired from the industrial/commercial electrical field after 34 years almost four years ago and am greatly enjoying being retired.

I've really enjoyed looking threw this site.  I've learned some good stuff here and thanks be to you.

Cat

Offline DaveH

• Kempton Park, South Africa
Re: My tiny shop.
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 12:48:35 PM »
Cat,

Nice workshop  :thumbup: :clap:

I also luv my Sherlines.

:beer:
DaveH
(Ex Leicester, Thurmaston, Ashby De La Zouch.)

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 12:50:57 PM »
Hiya Cat :wave:

Welcome to the collective :borg:

That is a nice clean shop you have there. What do you like to make/build in it?

Never owned a sherline, but I hear great things about them. Owners seem to be quite smitten with them.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Catshooter

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 02:25:21 PM »
Thanks for the welcome Dave.

Eric,

It's really more a "modify this whatsit" to work better and/or "fix this dang thang that what broke" then build from scratch shop.  I've built things from scratch but not real projects like a steam engine or such.  I have had a hankering to build a scale model of a Ingersol Rand air compresser that I saw at one time.  Impressive machine.  It was a flat opposed twin, double acting with a 24 inch bore.  The kind where you start it, keep oil in it and then sometime in the future, like 30 years later you turn it off.  Very cool.

My shop is cluttered/dirty only durning a project.  I learned from my mother that if you leave everthing scattered from here to breakfast it takes forever to find stuff.  This is what she always did when cooking, stuff scattered all across the horizon, flour on the ceiling.  So I don't live that way.

The Sherline.  Well, there's several things I like about them.  For one, he only uses standard screws/fasteners that you can buy easily except where he can't.  Like a 20 tpi feedscrew.  Other than that they are off the shelf and he even tells you what size they are.  He'll sell them to you if you want.

They do everything in their plant except painting, all their own parts.  I appreciate that and it's getting more and more uncommon here in America.

He has a wide range of tooling to go with his machines and if the tool is appropriate for the lathe and the mill it'll fit both.  He feels (and has said so) that if he comes up with a new attachment and you have to modify your machine, no matter how old to make it work then he's failed as a designer.  I really like that.

The instructions that come with everything he makes are written like you'd see here: plain English.  I get so tired of instructions that were translated from French by a Chinese guy from Italy who was badly hung over that day.

So yes, I believe one could say I'm smitten.  :)  Of course I do wish the lathe was a six incher . . . or maybe an eight . . .

Thanks for the welcome gentlemen.

Cat

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 02:45:38 PM »
I have read his (Joe Martin) book. Found it very interesting.

You can get a bunch of upgrades for your mill from A2Z

Engines are fun to build. It is a kick the first time seeing them run...

Eric
Science is fun.

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 04:46:58 PM »
Hi AND Welcome Cat  :thumbup:

Looks like you have everything too  hand in your shop ,,,,,,,,, looks a fun place to hang out  :dremel:

Rob

PS ,,,,,,, whats the green thing in the second photo ?  :scratch:

Offline Catshooter

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 05:49:04 PM »
Brass,

Thanks for the link, I have never seen it before.

Rob,

You know, that everything is right within reach was a benifit I hadn't thought of while building the shop.  I was too busy grousing about how tiny it was!

The green thing is one of my ammuntion reloading machines.  Made by the RCBS company here in the US.  I use it mostly for the 45 auto cartridge, one of my favorites.  Every time you pull the long black handle on the right side a loaded round falls into the bin. :headbang:

Cat

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2012, 11:07:57 PM »
I was just looking at your pictures again (before I read your last reply) and noticed your loading setup. My father and I used to do a lot of hand loading. Primarily loading .357 and .40 hand gun stuff and some 22/250 shells as well.

Knew a guy who used to load his own "hot" .444 marlin. Those were a beast to shoot out of his TC Contender.

Science is fun.

Offline Dean W

• My kingdom for a lathe!
    • Projects web pages
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2012, 07:43:10 PM »
Nice shop you have there.  Mine is about the same size, and is my favorite room in the house, (along
with the bathroom). 
I could walk in your shop and be right at home, including with the reloading fun stuff.  : )
Dean W.

Shop Projects:
http://www.deansphotographica.com/machining/projects/projects.html

Praise the Lord and pass the Carbide!

Offline Catshooter

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2012, 09:16:36 PM »
And you'd be welcome Dean. 

You've go a nice web site going on there.  I would like to get a bit larger lathe and you're making me think that an Atlas might be the way to go. 

Cat

Offline grayone

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2012, 10:14:21 AM »
The green thing is one of my ammuntion reloading machines.  Made by the RCBS company here in the US.  I use it mostly for the 45 auto cartridge, one of my favorites.  Every time you pull the long black handle on the right side a loaded round falls into the bin. :headbang:
Cat
Hi Cat used to have a Rockchucker RCBS press and all the bits and bobs to re-load 38's for my target S&W years ago.  Was lost of fun at the time.

My workshop is not much bigger than yours and also built around mini machines although in my case Proxxon.

Regards

Graham
Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional

Offline Catshooter

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2012, 10:51:04 PM »
Smiths are fine firearms.  I've a couple!

I've modded both of my Sherlines as of course they don't come just as I would want from the factory.  So I feel right at home here!

Cat