Author Topic: More racing car bits  (Read 5780 times)

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
More racing car bits
« on: April 08, 2012, 10:38:10 AM »
Following the Incident of the Moving Steering Rack at the last race (and, indeed, at the race before that too....), I was tasked with replacing the old rubber-and-metal-hoop clamp with a shiny-shiny aluminium one. At the same time, the already-shiny-shiny aluminium block at the other end would be re-engineered so that the hole for the steering rack tube was slightly smaller than the tube diameter, rather than slightly larger - thus having a clamping effect rather than just sitting there, looking pretty, and doing nothing useful (kind of like Jordan, only pretty).

Tada:

Turns out, the part that used to be rubber/steel hoop, didn't have any nice right angles to go at. So there was a little more engineering in that bit than I'd anticipated:

And just to make life harder, the bottom of that bit was flat instead of round. Cutting a loaf-shaped hole on the lathe is really difficult:

The edges are relieved to account for the lack of right-angledness on the rack. Aluminium isn't as squashy as rubber, no matter how hard you  :hammer: it.

The new ali clamps will hold the rack absolutely rigidly on the crossmember, which will hopefully reduce the number of turns required on the wheel before any effect is felt through the tyres...
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
Re: More racing car bits
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 01:19:04 PM »
Very nice chief  :thumbup:

A well crafted shape that  :dremel:

Hopefully it'll sort the issue out? I might have to bring the cossie ones over for you to do  :lol:

Looking forward to a video of the mota racing round the track  :poke:

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 03:16:02 PM »
Nicely done Ade :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
I remember a similar problem many years ago with a mini marcos :drool: :drool:
A flexing steering rack loads of negative camber and a clutch diff made things very interesting :doh: :doh: :doh:
John

Offline Jonny

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 03:40:11 PM »
Takes me back a bit used to have same probs with RS, XR and VX.
Done exactly that on my old RS but did away with the rubbers. Of course the vibrations are transmitted but gave an instant feel together with double width clamps.

Second best is exchange original rubbers for Powerflex, but rack will still move.