Author Topic: Another (rather splendid) 3D CAD  (Read 8875 times)

Offline z3t4

Another (rather splendid) 3D CAD
« on: February 13, 2012, 12:18:51 PM »
Like many others I have been looking for a 3D CAD program which would not involve exposing the family wallet to light. Turbocad was OK-ish, but a pain to learn. Sketchup always seemed limited, and isn't CAD anyway. Alibre is nice but now the buggers want paying for it (threads passim).

Gentlemen, ladies and others, may I present 'Creo Elements/Direct Modeling Express 4.0'? (Sadly, it appears to be missing a letter 'l' but is otherwise nice.)

I have just drawn my first Lego brick, a major achievement! The tutorials are aimed at the ignorant but not stupid and there are several youtube how-tos. Also, while meandering around the website, I found its cousin is Mathcad, (well-impressive software) so another plus.

HTH,

John

NB no conflict of interest here, just happy to share a discovery.

Offline Cornish Jack

Re: Another (rather splendid) 3D CAD
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 04:42:12 PM »
Hmmm! Just attempted installation (and registration) followed by removal!!! If the operation is as non-intuitive and frustratingly complex as the activation/registration, NO THANK YOU!! I'll stick with Draftsight.

Offline yorkie_chris

Re: Another (rather splendid) 3D CAD
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 04:41:20 PM »
My next port of call is FreeCAD. Looks worth a go.

Snidey student solidworks left over from uni times works fine for me at the moment though.