Author Topic: Solidworks help  (Read 7967 times)

Offline waggle

Solidworks help
« on: April 16, 2012, 10:25:48 AM »
After a recommendation on here, I have downloaded Solidworks.  I have gone through a mountain of training vids and I am doing really well with it so far considering I have no CAD experience (I have managed to do a full assembly of a versatile dividing head in less than a week).
The only things I am struggling with is adding threads to holes or rods etc.. I have found the nuts/bolts and other fixings in the toolbox but other threads are still a mystery. So far I am just using plain faces to create assemblies, and I cannot find DP spec gears - only Module.

If anyone can point me to some further training to help me sort these niggles, I will be well on the way to mastering all I need to know - for now.

Tony

Offline Lew_Merrick_PE

Re: Solidworks help
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 10:50:19 AM »
Tony,

The first thing you need to understand about SolidWorks is that it is an intrinsically metric system.  If anybody has implemented gear routines using Diametral Pitch, I am unaware of it.  However, you can use the relationship: M = 25.4/DP or DP = 25.4/M (where "M" is the Module and "DP" is the Diametral Pitch) to create inch-based gear.  The other thing to be aware of is that the contact angle in SolidWorks defaults to 25°.

Does this help?

Offline waggle

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 11:01:50 AM »
Yes, very helpful. I can now stop hunting in vain for something that doesn't exist and get on with learning more about other features.

Cheers Lew

Offline Lew_Merrick_PE

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 11:18:27 AM »
Tony  --  OK, you also want to know about  threads.  Look at the Hole Wizard.  It includes (drilled &) tapped holes as well as commonly drilled holes.  For external threads, look for Cosmetic Threads.  You may be helped by http://www.solidworker.com/ for some examples.

Offline waggle

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 11:22:32 AM »
Thanks again Lew

That will be my project for later this evening.  :coffee:

Tony