Author Topic: Polly runs like a cracker  (Read 6072 times)

Offline -steves-

Polly runs like a cracker
« on: May 07, 2012, 10:30:05 AM »
Well after buying my lathe and mill last year my intention was always to build an engine and boiler. My first attempt at an engine was my Stuart 10V from castings last year. This little creation has been taken from the Tubal Cain's 1st book on, How to build a Steam Engine. This little one is called "Polly".

Well after a few weeks or so I finally got myself into gear and carried on with this project as it had been sitting around as a bit of copper pipe for quite a while.

The boiler was taken from stock copper pipe and the end caps were beaten many times around a block to get them to fit. The chimney was a bit of 15mm copper pipe taken out of the loft from the old water tank (promise it wasn't in use, lol) and the holes in the end caps were cut on the mill and a rotary table. The flywheel was made from a 2" bit of brass stock and turned down, and the crank wheel is mild steel and turned down. The cylinder was made from square brass stock and milled lots and the barrel was just a bit of brass pipe brazed on. The entire boiler and fittings have all been silver soldered, not because I thought I needed to, but because I had never done it before and I wanted the practice. The boiler holder is steel sheet and the safety valve was robbed from a Mamod MM1, though I did turn up my own insert.

After testing the boiler and engine on air I decided to see if this would actually run as a stand alone unit prior to cleaning it all up and painting it. I am aware it looks a total mess, but it was only finished a few minutes before the video, for me its all about the workings, the "pretty bits" come later if I can be bothered, lol  :lol:

Anyway, here is a short video of this running.....  :D  :D  :D Its not on a base so the pliers were to hold it up, the burner was "borrowed" from an SE1 and the plate was an old camping plate, lol.

I have found the video link not to work all that well, but the hyperlink seems to work fine :) Well in this old pc anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xb4LLstTISI&feature=youtu.be

[ Invalid YouTube link ]

« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 03:45:41 PM by Stilldrillin »
very new to all this....

Offline Deko

Re: Polly runs like a cracker
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 11:41:06 AM »
Nice one Steves, runs ok,and the link works fine for me. :thumbup: You will have to clean it up though,or SHMBO will never let you put it on the sideboard. :lol:

Cheers Dek.

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 03:49:54 PM »
 :D :)  YAY!! :) :D

Big silly grin time again!  :ddb: :ddb:

Well done Steve!  :clap: :clap: :thumbup:

David D.

P.S.
I modded your YouTube link. Hope that's ok.......
D.
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline -steves-

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 05:41:15 PM »
:D :)  YAY!! :) :D

Big silly grin time again!  :ddb: :ddb:

Well done Steve!  :clap: :clap: :thumbup:

David D.

P.S.
I modded your YouTube link. Hope that's ok.......
D.

Thanks David, and thank you for fixing my YouTube link too  :D
very new to all this....