Author Topic: shop  (Read 14441 times)

Offline mechman48

shop
« on: May 14, 2012, 05:21:50 PM »
Hi all
Not been on for a while as you may know, Xmas/Jan I think, anyhow carrying on from my last post The priorities have been completed-total revamp of the kitchen/bathroom & cloaks to The satisfaction of SWMBO  :bow: I finally made it to the Harrogate exhibition last weekend, accompanied by my better half (how I persuaded her to tag along lord only knows!). As mentioned prevously I was on the lookout for a lathe & possibly milling machine to complement my future garage conversion & needed to physically see my narrowed down choices rather than pick from catalogues with the intention of prioritising the milling machine. After flitting back & forth between two sellers- Warco /Chester(usual disclaimer) I finally plumped for the Warco WM16-VF mainly due to price & size to fit into my garage.I was also eyeballing the WM250-VF lathe with power x feed when lo & behold dearly beloved said why not get the lathe as well..  :  :bugeye:  :jaw: clap: once I got over the shock & picked myself of the floor..well not literally, no further prompting was needed  :ddb: I am now awaiting delivery of two new machines.. who says Xmas doesn't come early  :headbang: & birthdays, fathers day, anniversary.. for the rest of my remaining days  :lol:
It may seem as though this post should be in 'Tools' but I am now in the process of starting to measure up for the garage conversion & once I get started I will post pics as I progress & also probably write up my findings on both machines.
bfn
George
George.

Always look on the bright side of life, & remember.. KISS..' Keep It Simple Stupid'

Offline mechman48

Re: shop
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 11:00:55 AM »
 :wave:
 :update: Back again; have now started to convert garage, first of all got all the electrics sorted & first fixed by a qualified electrician (my son), prior to clearing all the gear out ready for fixing studding, insulation, boarding.
(N.B On another tack I contacted my home insurers to inform them of change of use of the garage to a hobby workshop which is required by most insurance companies in their small print..'change of use of part of premises' & including rewiring to building standards Part P -domestic otherwise should anything untoward happen then they would not cover nor pay out), same applies to car insurers... 'location of parking'
etc.
Any way the studding went up (2X2  timber) on 600mm centres with noggins fitted at 400 mm centers, followed by cellotex insulation panels(25mm), this was then overlayed  with 11mm OSB boarding, I chose OSB rather than plasterboard as it would facilitate better fixing of shelving & other storage items as the work progresses, knowing the centers of the noggins will help for fixing my tool cabinet later as well, plus the OSB will provide some extre insulation on top of the Cellotex .Plasterboard was fitted to the roof trusses as there would be no weight other than lighting fitted, & helped to cut costs  a little,  :clap:
 So far so good..waiting for son to come & second fix electrics  :coffee:

Cheers

Have photos but will post later as need to reduce size & place into my Photobucket album..if I remeber how to do it,  :loco:

bfn.
George.

Always look on the bright side of life, & remember.. KISS..' Keep It Simple Stupid'

Offline mechman48

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 11:58:36 AM »
 :update:
Photos as mentioned:

1st fix electyrics (that's ma boy!)

1st fix pick up from house wiring'

Continuation of ring main;

Studding fixed in place;

Plasterboard fitted to roof trusses;

Insulation arrives;

Insulation being installed ;pardon the rear view of the builder & his mate!

OSB being fitted;

Boarding out completed, now for the paint job.

1 ton engine hoist; bought after working out daily/weekly hire price, cheaper to buy & keep for use as & when  'new toys' arrive.Already served its purpose when move original combi machine prior to conversion work.
George.

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 01:33:32 PM »
And the shop starts to come to life.

Have you gotten the machines already?

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline mechman48

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 03:40:13 PM »
Eric, have not got the toys yet although had been bought at the Harrogate exhibition, will be dispatched in a couple of weeks; could have had them a couple of weeks back but asked Warco to hold off on delivery to take the opportunity to get the conversion sorted first.  :ddb:
George.

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 03:49:19 PM »
Looks like its going to be nice and warm George  :D

Rob  :thumbup:

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 04:15:57 PM »
What are you going to do for lighting?

Will you be building machine specific benches as well?

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline mechman48

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 09:19:51 AM »
Lighting is being sorted at this mo' .. 3 x1 mtr striplights & 2 x bulkhead fittings. As for the benches.. the machines will be coming with the stands as these were ordered together with machines, again as suggested by SWMBO  :bow:. I'm planning to lay it out with machinery down one side & bench(es) down t'other if you follow my drift, bit difficult at mo' as trying to envisage it whilst not having the toys here  :scratch:

Cheers
George.

Offline millwright

• Leeds West Yorshire
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2012, 04:47:01 PM »
Looks like you will be very cosy in there George, its coming together nicely.
John

Offline mechman48

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2012, 04:58:37 PM »
Garage conversion continues -

Paint job completed-

Electrics being fitted-

Electrics fed from new ring main via DB(distribution box)- all protected by RCDs in the house main board.

Lighting fitted-

Light testing-

Final lighting scheme 1-

Final lighting scheme 2-

Mmmm!.. I thought I was being OTT with the lighting but it looks pretty subdued;  It looks like I will be fitting spots over where the 'toys' are going to be & the bench area. I have a couple of spots already but they are cheap enough from B&Q if I need a couple more. All looks nice & clean & uncluttered now  :clap:  but wait until I start moving stuff back in & new toys in place....!  :scratch: 
Constructive criticism & comments most welcome.
bfn.
George.

Offline Pete49

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2012, 11:08:24 PM »
Nice work on the conversion it will be a joy to work in there. Don't forget lots of shelves :clap:. I should look at insulating mine (1/3rd of 3 car garage) as it gets a bit warm in summer (45c+) and cold in winter (average 18c days) though I have a wood stove going most days a lot of heat is lost through the corrugated iron walls. Oh well another job on the list.
Pete
oops..........oh no.........blast now I need to redo it

Offline David Jupp

• Teesside - UK
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2012, 03:55:43 AM »
If sharing an RCD with the main house, you won't be popular if any of your toys are prone to causing trips.

I have a separate Board/RCD for the garage (fitted before house was upgraded to RCD) - I find that the VFD for my Mill/Drill, and sometimes even my workshop PC will trip the garage RCD at switch on.  My garage RCD is just a standard domestic variety, I believe there are alternative ones which are designed to tolerate the likes of VFDs.

I'm sure your Electrican son will be able to advise if this is anything needing attention.

Offline ChriX

• My wiki
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2012, 05:24:13 AM »
This is looking great. I am looking forward to seeing the machines go in!

Offline mechman48

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2012, 05:19:18 PM »
Well, have progressed nicely with my conversion; new toys arrived..finally  :ddb: , had some bother over the lathe but that's another story (a long one!)  a few tel.calls to Warco along with a very strongly worded e-mail  :wack: , resolved the issue (Warco's don't seem to like answering e-mails?) anyhow to cut a long story short all has been resolved with a very apologetic Warco finally getting things sorted.

WM16 Mill & WMV-F 250 lathe, both variable speed:

George.

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2012, 12:56:30 PM »
Hi George  :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Looks like your well on your way to getting your shop up and running , nice spanking new machines  :drool: :headbang:

Rob

PS any chance you could re-size your photos , just a tad large  :thumbup:

Offline ChriX

• My wiki
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2012, 03:35:41 PM »
Looking great! Finally getting to unbox those machines must be brilliant.

Can I ask how you held your Celotex between the studs? Did you cover with polythene or use foil tape to seal the edges? I ask as I am about to take on the same job.

Offline Jonny

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2012, 05:18:13 PM »

Mmmm!.. I thought I was being OTT with the lighting but it looks pretty subdued

Pretty similar to mine but is partitioned off where garage door opens, so 12 or 14ft main area cant remember.
Your fluorescent lights are too close to the side walls and to small.
Most of the time i only use two 4ft T8 lights, one either side starting around 3ft from the door. Door side theres a third fluorescent end on to the first so 8ft of lighting down that side all with diffusers. Stuck for space i have loads of stuff outside but every inch is covered by continuous shelving. Base units built around the machines from 2x1"SHS rawl bolted to walls with cheapo kitchen work surface.
Another 4ft width ways in partition, believe me it gets friggin cold in winter on bare concrete floor, totally unbearable when heating left on.
Cant rubberise or carpet etc, the chips would melt through plus a pain to shovel up, tried it.

Main difference is i have a window in that door.
Any period of time i would want a wood burner in there.
insulate that roof as well then lay chipboard on top screwed down. Keeps the beams from moving. Now chuck your empty boxes up there, keeps noise down.

Offline DaveH

• Kempton Park, South Africa
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2012, 06:15:34 PM »
George,

Very, very nice  :thumbup: :clap:
Nice shop
Nice mill
Nice lathe
Great
 :beer:
DaveH
(Ex Leicester, Thurmaston, Ashby De La Zouch.)

Offline mechman48

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2012, 03:15:56 PM »

Have done a bit more in the shop last couple of weeks; in between decorating under instruction from SWMBO  :bow: I've got the lathe & mill set up as level as possible considering garage floors are not perfectly level at the best of times,   :scratch: seems that when garages are built with any new build they have a slope toward the door to facilitate run off & prevent run in of rain etc. to counteract I layed a self leveling pad for ea.machine ( not the best of leveling but considering it was my first ever attempt will suffice  :dremel: )

I have used one side for benches & t'other for machinery & storage but still have stuff to do. I have used my old faithful wooden bench that I have had for over 30 yrs (good solid old thing; bit like me  :lol: )  & used with my previous machine, have also utilised an old dressing table that my daughter decided was not contemporary enough & did not want.. waste not want not I always say  :thumbup: so along side my tool chest forms my working surfaces. I have had to pack up the dresser on wooden raising blocks (photo) to align with bench..not too bad only aprrox 5 mil difference, will have to titivate them for aesthetic purposes (flush front & paint  :scratch: ). I have fitted a worktop to the top of dresser courtesy of builder who did the lining out & insulation, free gratis, from a kitchen renovation he was in progress of doing ..if you doesn't ask you doesn't get  :headbang: pity it is dark grey (shouldn't moan considering it was free!) but a piece of white face hardboard over that & the bench will lighten things up.

I picked up a bargain from the local rag last week; 'for sale, used Clarke bench drill, £40' I thought .. Mmm dubious, nevertheless I went round to eyeball it, it was virtuall mint! just minimal surface rust on the table & dusty, complete with 13mm chuck.. & KEY! he hadn't lost it  :clap: a little bit of haggling (well why not give it a try  :palm: ) .. got it for £35,
I checked on Machine Mart website & the same drill (mine is CDP150B).. their site shows it as a CDP151B.. £119.98, & as I was waiting for one of their VAT free days to get a bench drill ... result !  :thumbup:

Have attempted to att. photos from Photobucket after having tried resizing to 600 x800 so would appreciate letting me know if they have come up ok.

self leveling pads attempt:

Defunct dresser with work top put to good use, raising blocks need tidying up:

'Old faithful' wooden bench:

Overall view of bench area, looks dark at the mo' due to the grey worktop & natural wood of the bench, but some lightening up with white faced hard board should do..maybe?

Planned storage area, lot more shelving 'n stuff to go in yet

Bargain buy of the week  :thumbup:

Last but not least..priority item..so far.. mmm kettle??

That's all for now folks, will continue to update  :nrocks:  :nrocks:

George.

George.

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2012, 03:46:52 PM »
Nice looking place you got now... :thumbup:

Must remember to pop in for a cuppa next time I visit my in-laws in Marton.... :coffee:
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline mechman48

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2012, 03:53:36 PM »
Hi John
You're most welcome; just give me a bell when you come up (pm for tel #) glad to meet another modder.
Cheers
George
George.

Offline mechman48

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2012, 04:20:21 PM »
ChriX
The Celotex was cut to be a push fit in between the timber battens, self locking so to speak, then sealed along the joints. Don't forget to leave an air gap between wall & Celotex, at least thats what the builder did on mine.
Cheers
George
George.

Offline ChriX

• My wiki
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2012, 06:04:48 PM »
Thanks George. Looking great in there now.

Offline mechman48

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2012, 06:20:22 PM »
ChriX
No probs, Mind you your shop looks fantastic, I think mine just fits inside the corner behind your double doors  :D there's a hell of a lot of work gone into yours considering what you started with  :clap: I think my bungalow will just about fit into the rest of your workshop  :scratch: just waiting to see the finished product  :thumbup:
Cheers
George
George.

Offline mechman48

« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2012, 02:09:45 PM »
Have managed to get a bit more time in the garage, been diverted by interior work requirements of SWMBO  :bow:  have added a little more; relocated bench drill to end of bench, moved vice inboard, redone the worktops to reflect more light & added some insulation to the garage door..looks crap at the mo' but being a roller door have had to allow for the bending of each panel as & when door needs opening  :scratch: maybe will redo later possibly attach Celotex/Kingspan panels & use insulation in between to still allow folding, appreciate any other ideas on this point.
Have also had an early Xmas prezzie from dearly beloved  :bow:  a 4x6 band saw from you know where..one of their VAT free days so made hay whilst the sun shone  :palm: .... still haven't made any swarf .. yet! ..but, 'slowly, slowly, catchee monkey'  :headbang:

Cheers.  :nrocks:
George

George.