Author Topic: Ade's GREAT BIG.....  (Read 8570 times)

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
Ade's GREAT BIG.....
« on: May 26, 2012, 07:54:10 PM »
Shiny gear lever top thingy  :bugeye:   :lol:

So, the story starts with  a PM....  Ade, "What's the biggest ball you can turn on your equipment? Could you turn something about the size of a gear knob, for example?"

And it finishes like this....

One bucket o bits. Ade had already made an arbour and drilled/threaded a 31/2" lump of ali bar.

The threaded end was pre-sized and then it was screwed onto the arbour.

The radius cuts were started....

Ade's action shot....

Mid way...

A little curve added to the neck.

Ade's action shot..

Finished convex cut.

The little flare turned off and a little bit of blending with some emery. Another Ade's action shot  :)

Finished!

And then a pic of it in it's new home....

Well, that's that one. Been in the 'puter for a few weeks now. Been back at work. No spare time or ridiculous late nights any more  :(

For ref, ball size ~ 50mm.

Ralph (and Ade)  :nrocks: 
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Re: Ade's GREAT BIG.....
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2012, 10:01:15 PM »
Nice job Ralph! I am sure Ade is a happy camper with that. One question though... why is the steering wheel on the wrong side of the car??

:lol: :lol:

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline websterz

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2012, 11:21:22 PM »
Nice job Ralph! I am sure Ade is a happy camper with that. One question though... why is the steering wheel on the wrong side of the car??

:lol: :lol:

Eric

Looks fine to me...

:) :D :) :D
"In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.  Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal."
 :med:

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2012, 12:17:36 PM »
I'd like to thank Ralph for turning out a really nice big shiny ball - and the gear knob was pretty good too!  :palm: :lol:

Eric - I've no idea how you guys change gear right-handed... every time I've had to try driving on the wrong side of the road, I end up opening the door or winding the window down! I guess that's why you all drive automatics?  :D

The biggest problem with a solid aluminium ball is the speed with which it sucks heat out of your hand on a cold day - not to mention the bare aluminium seat which does likewise, brr.

Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2012, 12:27:30 PM »
... Eric - I've no idea how you guys change gear right-handed... every time I've had to try driving on the wrong side of the road, I end up opening the door or winding the window down! I guess that's why you all drive automatics?  :D

I drive a bit in France, in left-handed hire cars. What embarrasses me is striding confidently from a crowded cafe terrace to the car parked at the adjacent kerb, climbing in with a flourish and then finding I have to get out again and go round to the driver's door  :bang: .

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline krv3000

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012, 02:25:28 AM »
well dun  :nrocks:

Offline Fredbare

• Fakenham, Norfolk
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, 04:16:36 PM »
Ralph, your certainly the master of the balls.http://madmodder.net/Smileys/default/kranke_200-1.gif

John

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2012, 07:53:22 PM »
Glad you like the work chaps  :thumbup:

Ade,  it was a bit of fun, and we talked a bit of general carp while we worked.... So all's good  :)

Funny, the only thing about that flipped pic' is my ghostly tag on it is backwards.... Other than that you'd struggle to tell it'd been flipped!

Only driven on the wrong side once, a weeks holiday with a LHD astra. My left knuckles kept getting bashed with tying to change gear in the door pocket!  :palm: 

The brian's an impressive tool but it'll go wrong all week when you're trying to change the programming!  :lol:

Ralph. 
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline DMIOM

• Isle of Man
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 03:18:18 AM »
.....The biggest problem with a solid aluminium ball is the speed with which it sucks heat out of your hand on a cold day - not to mention the bare aluminium seat which does likewise, brr.

Ade - is perchance the big / cold / (heavy?) gear knob for when Mr C.V. is driving and then swap for a lightweight plastic one when Mr. A.V. is driving?  :coffee:

Dave

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2012, 04:38:02 AM »
.....The biggest problem with a solid aluminium ball is the speed with which it sucks heat out of your hand on a cold day - not to mention the bare aluminium seat which does likewise, brr.

Ade - is perchance the big / cold / (heavy?) gear knob for when Mr C.V. is driving and then swap for a lightweight plastic one when Mr. A.V. is driving?  :coffee:

Dave

Hehe, hadn't thought of that....

Actually, the problem we were trying to solve was the old gearstick used to foul the cutout when going for 4th gear, so it didn't always snick in. But as it turned out, even with the old plastic one cut away & the new shiny aluminium one in place, the problem remained; it turned out there wasn't enough movement in the ball joint... so the final fix was to cut the gear linkage (seen at the bottom of the bucket in the first pic, the bronze coloured item with a sticker on it) in half, and weld it back together 1/4" longer... that fixed it a treat :)

I prefer the look of the ali ball over the original item, I have to say...
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...