Author Topic: Chuck stop  (Read 6809 times)

bogstandard

Chuck stop
« on: February 04, 2009, 12:04:43 AM »
To compliment Ralph's mill backstop, here is one for your lathe chuck.

This is an extract from an email I sent to a good friend.

Find attached a C-o-C for a chuck backstop. You might need to find out if the morse taper can fit thru your chuck, if it does, then just use a length of bar to tap it back out from the rear of the spindle when you have finished. I have turned the tapered bit down before now, so it isn't as wide at the big end, just to get it to fit thru the chuck. With all my backstops, I just turn up a range of rod lengths and diameters and use what is required for the job.

I hope it can be understood.

Bogs

Offline SPiN Racing

• Madmodder Committee
Re: Chuck stop
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 12:40:15 AM »
OK Waitaminute...

Insert Noob comment here.

My Lathe has.. the ability for rod to be passed through it. I think 0.8 diameter.  Are you saying that.. the end of it might be a MT taper? Inside the threaded end? (Threaded where the chuck goes onto it)

Im at work or I would bundle myself up and go out to the garage and check.
SPiN Racing

bogstandard

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 01:28:10 AM »
Spin,

If it is any sort of normal lathe it should have a morse taper socket in the spindle nose.
Going by the diameter you have mentioned, it would most probably be 3MT.

If it is a 3MT, you could easily take your chuck off and mount in MT collets. Just make yourself a drawbar to hold them in and tighten them up, away you go, precision machining. But only for short lengths of material.

Bogs

Offline John-Som

• Start Model Engineering
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 04:48:18 AM »
Thanks John

To suit my particular lathe, which has very limited space behind the chuck - well actually there isn't any space at all. I shall modify the soft MT3 taper by removing all the excess overhang and fitting with a threaded rod and lock nut as per C-o-C

John S
start-model-engineering.co.uk - a friendly place for model engineering beginners

bogstandard

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 05:18:09 PM »
Nice one John.

Where did you get the blue C-o-C from?

John

Offline rleete

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 06:00:51 PM »
Must be the advanced package.
Creating scrap, one part at a time

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 08:22:26 PM »
Well I doubt I'll be trying to "stylee" one of those up.... But making one to do the job will be a fun little exercise  :dremel:

Nice to know your still holding back tips n tricks to surprise us with John   :smart:    :)

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

bogstandard

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 04:01:57 AM »
Defintely not holding back Ralph.

I have to wait until it resurfaces from the dark chasms of the grey matter before it gets posted. :med:

Reminders are a great help, when people ask for suggestions or ways to do things :wack: :poke:, then it all comes flooding trickling back.  :smart:

But I have to be quick to catch it, otherwise it sinks again. :med:

John

bogstandard

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2009, 04:10:44 AM »
John,

I have just had another look at your C-o-C, do I detect a bit of banned straight edge use in there?

I have to draw the line here, that is getting very close to technical drawing, a totally different product, and one which will mean you paying royalties on my other package R-o-C (Rule-o-Cad). :lol:

Bogs

Damn those pirates. :hammer:

Offline John-Som

• Start Model Engineering
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2009, 04:36:39 AM »
honest guv, no mechanical aids were used in producing my superior C-o-C though I will admit to a nip of the hard stuff to steady my wavering hand. Oh and version 3.2 does feature a colour upgrade. Jolly useful if you are making bits out of coloured plastic.

JohnS
start-model-engineering.co.uk - a friendly place for model engineering beginners