Author Topic: Now then, how are doing?  (Read 6691 times)

Offline Serveta150

Now then, how are doing?
« on: February 05, 2009, 06:23:19 PM »
Greetings from (Old) York, (Old) England.

My official name is Paul, but Mrs. L. prefers to use terms such as, "selfish, self-centred, thoughtless and inconsiderate", on account of all the Engineering equipment I am always procuring and giving up ("our") valuable time and money for.

I have spent all my working life to date in Engineering, leaving school in 1973 and serving a 4-year Indentured Apprenticeship, City & Guilds, General Mechanical Eng', as a Fitter/Machinist, followed by a 5th year as a Trainee Draughtsman (Drawing-board) and have worked in various Design Offices and disciplines since.

I am an advocate of S.I. Units. The company I served my time with officially adopted metrication in 1976 and I immediately realized it's superiority over the imperial system of measurement (Comments on a post card please)

Graduating from a drawing-board to AutoCAD 2D (1990) was easy - it was just a drawing-board on a screen. But 3D catches me out a bit. "You can't teach old dogs new tricks" as the saying goes, and now all the the young dudes (that I used to boss around) are teaching me a thing or 2000. AutoCAD "Mechanical" was a disaster (in my opinion) and I do not feel that "Inventor" is as good as "SolidWorks".

I have passions for Willys MB 38's, Honda Pan-European ST1100's, Gibson SG's, Lambretta's and Miniature Railway Live-steam Loco's in 3.5", 5" & 7.25" gauges. Unfortunately, I do not own either of the first 3 items on my shopping list (yet) but my Scooter has a pretty good tuned engine (as far as Scooters go) and is in the process of being totally rebuilt (again) I have two 5" & two 7" loco's under design/construction and a very sorry 3.5" Rob Roy rescued from a hammer & chisel merchant. I also enjoy renovating and repairing Machine Tools - it is very satisfying.

My interest in Miniature Steam Loco's led me to set-up a workshop with an old Harrison L5 and an Adcock Shipley 1ESG (Bridgeport M-head) + the usual Bench/drill/grinder etc, some years ago. Moving house recently, my Harrison was damaged and when Chester Machine Tools (UK) offered their Conquest Lathe & Mill at reduced prices, I took the plunge (more grief from she who must be obeyed) This led me to the Chester forum which in turn , led me to this one - which looks AOK

Hopefully, I'll get some photo's of my workshop together this weekend and post them on. I know I always enjoy an insight into the El Dorado's of others, without being nosey - there's always something you see that makes you think, "that's a good idea".

This site is very inspirational from what I have read and seen and long may it continue to be/do so.

Best regards, Paul, York, North Yorkshire England (On Ilkley bar t'at, On Ilkley bar t'at, On Ilkley bar t'aat, etc)

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Re: Now then, how are doing?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 06:28:54 PM »
Hey Paul!

Welcome to the collective  :borg: . Gotta get some pictures up! That is a good list of things to be into. A co worker of mine has 2 willys he is restoring. Love the Lambrettas... Had a lambretta Jet for about a month!

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 07:47:37 PM »
Hey Paul,

Welcome to the collective of diverse interests.  :borg:

I am into live steam also, 1 1/2" or 7.25" gauge.

I also have one of those SWMBO. Unfortunatley she is also CFO (Cheif Finacial Officer) :(

But do I listen to her? NO.  :lol:

Bernd

Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline SPiN Racing

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 09:04:52 PM »
Hey Paul welcome to the forum!

I am as new as they come to the whole thing.. but Im making shavings!

My brother who just got his MFA(Masters of Fine Arts) has been a guitar player his whole life.. (hes 49) and he actually taught me to play when I was in high school in the early 80s. (I know)
THing is..
I had this Nice telecaster guitar I bought from him at a brother only price... 50 bucks USD. And I got really pretty good with it.

But whenever WE played I could never sound as good as him.

His axe?

1969 SG.  :doh:

Its some sort of reddish cherry color.. and I gather worth a country.  BUT I do have to say.. it sounds like nothing else... as you obviously know. Very nice sounding guitar..

Shortly after coming to the realisation I couldnt afford to get one... nor anything that sounded as nice.. I sorta lost interest in playing.

After a few years of karate, and broken fingers/hands I didnt bother trying to play. :(

Thankfully you need a delicate touch with a mill/lathe, but not ultra dextrous fingers :)

Sounds like you have some great experience and hobbies! Look forward to hearing about/seeing some of the toys!
SPiN Racing

bogstandard

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 11:04:24 PM »
Hi Paul,

Glad you made your way over.

When you are ready, just open up and we will read or help as much as we can. No one is forced to do anything here, well you might get a little  :poke: from time to time, just enjoy the experience of being amongst a group of enthusiastic people, who enjoy sharing their experiences and dreams. :zap:

We have a couple of active members from around your neck of the woods, so you are not alone  :borg:. I am sure they will give you a good welcome, once they wake up. :med:

But what you mustn't forget, this is mainly an American based site, and reverting to your native UK northern banter can confuse the locals somewhat.
:lol:

John

« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 11:06:52 PM by bogstandard »

Kludge

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 11:41:51 PM »
My official name is Paul, but Mrs. L. prefers to use terms such as, "selfish, self-centred, thoughtless and inconsiderate", on account of all the Engineering equipment I am always procuring and giving up ("our") valuable time and money for.

The more I see things like this the more "rules" exist for Mrs. Kludge #3 ;D

I have passions for Willys MB 38's

Now, would that be the MB, the M-38 or the M-38A1?  The MB was WW II, the M-38 (flat fender) was Korean war and the M-38A1 followed up as the round fender version.  The flattie M-38 was akin the CJ-3 and the -A1 the CJ-5. 

Before I moved here, I had a 1971 (mostly) CJ-5, the last ones made before they got all civilized with roll cages etc, and a 1975 DJ-5 (aka: Postal Jeep).  Now I have a YJ Wrangler which is a fancy CJ-7 which is essentially a stretched CJ-5.  I'd love to find one of the older ones but it ain't gonna happen here; they're way too popular.

Anyway, have fun, enjoy the neighborhood and watchout for that loser in Hawaii. :D

Best regards,

Kludge

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2009, 12:44:05 AM »

But what you mustn't forget, this is mainly an American based site, and reverting to your native UK northern banter can confuse the locals somewhat.

We may be based in the States, but we have a HUGE UK membership! So we are learning the confusing banter.  :lol:

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2009, 01:46:54 AM »
Hey up Paul How's it hanging
(translation:- Good morning Paul how are you)
 :lol:

I came this way through the Chester forum as well got one of their 3 - 1 but just upgraded to a seig mill a big 60 birthday present from the boss (wife). I did the indentured apprentice thing C and G etc worked all my life at the same factory Forman/Designer etc thers not many department around the place I havn,t worked in and know something about, now semi retired building a steam engine but this place has the habit of diverting you off project watch out you don't get a dose of  :proj:

Look forward to seeing photos of your projects

Cheers
 :wave:
Stew

A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline John-Som

• Start Model Engineering
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2009, 03:54:17 AM »
Hello Paul

Welcome to the site Paul. I live nearby in Wetherby and we need to strengthen the UK contingency, especially this side of the Pennines. Have fun and we all look forward to seeing further postings, hopefully with lots of pictures to gloat over.

JohnS
start-model-engineering.co.uk - a friendly place for model engineering beginners

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2009, 09:47:55 AM »
Welcome Paul.....
It`s nice here! :thumbup:

I lived my first 25yrs in Brighouse, and I am still on the better side of the Pennines.

Some may disagree.......  ::)
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2009, 03:36:09 PM »
Hi Paul, Welcome aboard    :wave:

You'll be unlikely not to find something of interest here.... As with a list like that you'll find it hard not to have something to talk about  :thumbup:

Got to say much of your list is over my head... I know what some of it is, but no idea how it works (C-o-C rules!!  :lol: )

I used to go to school in Ilkley.... Ben Rhydding in fact.... A long time ago now.... Ever been up the Cow and Calf? I used to cross country run all over those moors!! (run.... not any more!!!!)

That means you'll be close to the next big show in Harrogate.... Don't know when it's on yet? But I'll certainly be there on the Saturday (I like the sunday to play with any bits I buy   :dremel: )

Looking forward to seeing what those projects look like  :scratch:  :)

Ralph.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 03:58:16 PM by Divided he ad »
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline Serveta150

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2009, 03:15:36 PM »
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the warm welcome. I did mean to respond sooner but on Friday eve' I had an e-mail that needed attention and on Saturday eve' Mrs. L decided that she wanted to discuss (tell me how it's going to be) the forthcoming (news to me) decorating of the Kitchen and Living-room.

Apart from Chester Tools this is the only Forum I have entered into, but wow am I wowed by it!

Regarding the Northern Banter, I am sorry to have to say that it should have read "On Ilkley Moor bar t' 'at" ("On Ilkely Moor without the Hat") It's a cheerful traditional song about someone who catches a cold in the rain. At the time of writing, I was getting an earful of, "how much longer are you going to be on that rotten computer"? Thanks to members in my locality for their grace in allowing me to make things clear (I hope)

Eric, any chance of a couple of jeep pics form your colleague at work?

Bernd, we all need a woman to keep us in check, just you listen to Tammy.

Spin, SG's are my favourite because of their sound and looks. Unfortunately (for me at least) I have short, fat fingers and play electric bass. I have two - both cherry red.

John, thanks for introducing me here and also for your help on the Chester forum. Sorry that I missed your first name when replying.

Now then Kludge, The MB definatly, with it's Split wind-screen (shield) Ever since I was old enough to distinguish one vehicle from another, I have wanted a Jeep. They are simple, rugged, reliable, humble and honest - a bit like the person Mrs. L thought she was marrying. I will never forgive Frank Burns for crushing one with a Sherman Tank. He'd have more to worry about than being known as "Ferret Face" if I'd been writing the M*A*S*H scripts. I reckon I'd have shipped Mrs. Burns out there whilst Majors Burns & Hoolihan were playing naughty pontoon in Hot-Lips tent!

Stew, I whish I'd been able to stay at the same spot, but I came out of my apprenticeship and walked straight into the recession of 1979 onwards. However I, " always look on the bright side of life"

John S, I lived my childhood at Kirkby Overblow befor moving to Harrogate where my mam (mom) still lives. I still venture out that way on my Lambretta (when it's sunny & running that is)

David, Brighouse is brilliant - True Northern Grit!

Ralph, I will be at Harrogate sometime for the exhibition, but I can't say when since it depends on how much time I get off for good behaviour. I won't be wearing a pink carnation (this year) but just in case I am not allocated any dosh (cash) - I'll be busking outside the door.

Meanwhile, back at the Ranch, I will be posting some pic's of my Workshop in the relevant section soon. I worked most of this weekend on a 7.25" gauge loco called "Paddington" The drawings and design (particularly the super structure) leave a great deal to be desired and I am struggling a bit. I am about 2 years overdue in finishing this loco for a friend and am annoyed with myself (to say nothing of incurring the wrath of Wonder Woman) for my not getting on with the job sooner. I know some of you picked-me-up for my diversity of interests and this is one criticism (out of many) my beloved has of me and I know she's right.

All the time whist I was working I kept thinking about this site and the insight it gives into the home engineering lives of others. Again I found it encouraging and inspiring and I reckon it'll get me on a steady track.

Best regards, Paul (Got a dream boy, got a song - Paint your wagon and come along)

Kludge

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2009, 07:57:05 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome. I did mean to respond sooner but on Friday eve' I had an e-mail that needed attention and on Saturday eve' Mrs. L decided that she wanted to discuss (tell me how it's going to be) the forthcoming (news to me) decorating of the Kitchen and Living-room.
At the time of writing, I was getting an earful of, "how much longer are you going to be on that rotten computer"? Thanks to members in my locality for their grace in allowing me to make things clear (I hope)

And even MORE rules for any forthcoming Mrs K #3.  ;D

Bernd, we all need a woman to keep us in check, just you listen to Tammy.

Heh, heh, heh ... don't get me started.   :bang:

Now then Kludge, The MB definatly, with it's Split wind-screen (shield) Ever since I was old enough to distinguish one vehicle from another, I have wanted a Jeep. They are simple, rugged, reliable, humble and honest

They used to be.  Willys Jeeps certainly were and AM General maintained that until Chrysler bought the civilian line and they got more civilized in 1972.  (AM General continued making the postal and military vehicles.)  The TJ (introduced in 1995, IIRC) had coils springs and the Liberty did away with the solid axles.  They are not Jeeps, in my opinion, and even my YJ is marginal even though it's built on the same frame and running gear as the CJ-7. 

A Jeep used to be a utility vehicle - essentially a truck with a "Deal with it" attitude.  Now it's a Sport Utility Vehicle (although Hawaii is good enough to leave the "sport" off mine for licensing purposes) that hides its heritage under a roll cage, tons of padding and fancy paint & carpetting. 

I'm slowly reverting mine (removing padding, carpet etc) although I can't do anything about the roll cage.  Eventually, I hope to get that foolish coachwork from the firewall forward replaced with one more appropriate - ie, a CJ-7's.  After that, I'll deal with the tailgate issue.

I worked most of this weekend on a 7.25" gauge loco called "Paddington"

Ooooh, pictures!  Definitely pictures!

All the time whist I was working I kept thinking about this site and the insight it gives into the home engineering lives of others. Again I found it encouraging and inspiring and I reckon it'll get me on a steady track.

There are really good people here.  The fountain of knowledge and support is amazing.  HEck, they even tolerate me.  More or less.  :)

BEst regards,

Kludge