Author Topic: Ball Turner ala Divided he ad  (Read 7926 times)

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
Ball Turner ala Divided he ad
« on: February 09, 2009, 11:57:00 AM »
A while ago Ralph twisted my arm  :lol: to build a ball turner. I wrote up a quick "how I did it" for the Grizzly lathe with some pics. since this style has been writed up many times I'll just post the pics since I know that  :worthless:

I'll receive the rath of John for using the tailstock to get the height of the center line for the tool. The correct method would be to mount a pointy thingie in the chuck and mark the part. Will do that with the next ball turner.

The reason I'm posting are the last two pictures. It was Sunday and all ............. :coffee:

Oh, the pics.   :doh:  :)

I have lots of, what I believe to be rock maple. In other words it's very hard wood with a very dense grain. The ball was actually for another project but didn't work out. The ball is about 1.800" in dia. or a bit over 45mm for you foreigners.  :lol:  After I posted the pics I came up with a better use for the ball.

And there you have it. :wave:

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
Re: Ball Turner ala Divided he ad
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 01:38:05 PM »
Hi Bernd

That's Great next project a bowling ball them some skittles, then a bowling alley:-

:doh: Ho No its come back

:proj:

Help

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 03:07:53 PM »
Oww.... bowling balls.  :clap:

I need a bigger lathe. :ddb:

Me: "Oh honey I need some money for a bigger lathe."

Her: "You need what for what?"  :hammer:  :wack:  :wack:  :hammer:

Me: "Ok Ok, I was just asking." A few more from her :wack: :wack:

That's Great next project a bowling ball them some skittles, then a bowling alley:-

That's what I told her too. It'd be great money making oppertunity. I got a few more of these,  :wack: :wack:  and then to top it all off she threatened to  :zap: the family jewels.

So I'll stick to making small balls. (somehow that just doesn't sound right)

Bernd

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 03:27:40 PM »
 :lol:  :D  :)  :lol:  :D  :)  :lol:

:lol:  :lol:   :lol:
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 04:04:55 PM »
Nice looking ball... I like the grain effect  :thumbup:

Your a brave man if you ask for bigger/more tooling.... Unless your single, cause it has to be taken out of the budget.... And you married sorts of don't usually control that bit!

You could just try sneaking a 10' lathe into the basement while your good lady is shopping   :D

It'd have to be a mighty machine to make a bowling ball on! There is a youtube vid' of a guy making a wooden ball that is approx 6" dia.... And that takes some doing!

It won't take you long to get that new handle all grubby.... But at least it will be warm to the touch when it's cold n the shop  :)

Ralph.

I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline SPiN Racing

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 12:26:29 AM »
HA HA HA HA HA Thats Excellent!!!

Ya know.. when I bought my lathe.. I had been working on my wife for around 3 YEARS... prepping her for the expense. (I bought the Mill about 6 months after the lathe.. had to get it while she was pliable for things like that)

I tried to convince her I needed a lathe that could spin a 16" item... because I might want to turn some brake rotors, or rotor hats.. or possibly a rim...........

And she didnt buy it for a second.

The price of that level of lathe also made her laugh in my face, pat me on the forehead and say Sure honey.

Thats whay I get for marrying a woman I used to take to the.... ?illegal? motorcycle races with me.. and she could name the bikes from 100 meters faster than I could. She also was crewing on a friends race team with me at 7 months pregnant.

ahhh the good old days.
SPiN Racing

bogstandard

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 12:52:10 AM »
In this case Bernd, I will let you off. Only because it worked for you though.

Lovely work on the BT and the results look spectacular.

Mine is only in rough shapes at the moment, but hopefully some time this year it will get finished.
Unfortunatley, my crappy lathe doesn't have T-slots, so I had to come up with another way of mounting to give me room to manoeuvre and don't know yet if it will be rigid enough.

John

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 12:24:07 PM »
Feeeewu, thanks John, I'll not make that mistake again.

That BT is all aluminum. I'd like to make one from steel with a thrust bearing under it. Right now there's a bit of slop in the tool, but it get's the job done.

I'm sure you'll figure something out for your lathe. You seem the inventive type that can problem solve when it comes to model engineering. :thumbup:

Bernd