Author Topic: Wiring Maxon brushless motor.  (Read 4492 times)

Offline MadsHattr

Wiring Maxon brushless motor.
« on: August 06, 2012, 03:23:58 PM »
I'm looking for help in wiring a Maxon brushless motor 18896 and controller MMC-EC070068-12P301A on an Isel xyz drill table.

I have the controller plug that has wires connected but what were they connected to. All I can find on the internet are newer versions of the controller. I f anybody has a wiring diagram or knows how to connect these and could help it would be great. If not using the Maxon controller what would I need to controll the motor.

I don't seem to be able to connect to pictures in photobucket. I have followed instructions in sticky but neither .img select works. Whatever I paste into topic is either removed or lost?
Just photos in next post.

Kenny
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 04:30:43 PM by MadsHattr »

Offline MadsHattr

Re: Wiring Maxon brushless motor.
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 04:38:37 AM »

This seems to be the only way I can upload pics :doh:

Offline Lew_Merrick_PE

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 11:06:17 AM »
Kenny,

Try contacting Maxon directly.  The index of distributors may be found at http://www.maxonmotor.com/maxon/view/content/contact

I have found them to be quite helpful over the years.

Offline MadsHattr

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 01:06:22 PM »
Thank you Lew I've e-mailed Maxon UK helpdesk. It would be good to get these working as they were originally used on this machine but nobody on the maintenance staff at the factory knows how they were used. They and the machine were rescued from the skip by my son. He is a frontline technician but these never went wrong, they just came to the end of their working life so were retired to the skip in pieces.

Regard, Kenny

Offline MadsHattr

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 01:11:58 PM »
 :update: Sorry I've not let you know sooner Lew. I've been in touch with techs at Maxon and have been told that the controller I have for this motor is a custom made unit, therefore any information is between themselves and that customer. I have been reading up on brushless motors and I think I can control this from a Radio control speed control and use a servo tester to set the speed. I'm waiting delivery of an Arduino Uno to try Chucks rotary table driver and I can use that to drive servos so maybe kill two birds with one stone-hopefully not kill two motors;-)

Kenny

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 08:21:49 PM »
depending if you want the feedback side working but just to make it run use the 3 wires red white and back to reverse it with a forward only speed ctr just swop two wires over and yes a simple servo tester with the speed cty will do , if you gget a marine ctroller you will nee to water cool it if asked for as they just smoke without , whatsort of amp draw do you think they ill take? and I may be able to point you torards a ctr , car controlers use feed back but tend to be quite expensive.

Peter
I am usless at metalwork, Oh and cannot spell either . failure

Offline MadsHattr

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 10:56:08 AM »
Hi Peter,
I have bought a 60a speedy already off fleebay, £15 delivered. It will take up to 6s Li-po battery so will have to find 20 volt power supply. The Maxon motor is 120w and up to 42volt. I'm running an old Bosch Router at the moment to engrave ali and mdf. Will be cheaper to buy new router than try to get best out of motor. Might try to sell them, they are an unbelievable £395 + vat from Maxon. :bugeye:
Kenny