Author Topic: What's that in my eye?  (Read 8929 times)

Offline DaveH

• Kempton Park, South Africa
What's that in my eye?
« on: August 23, 2012, 10:10:12 AM »
Hi
Just thought I would share this.

I am not one of these safety nannies – I’m really not, far from it.  :poke:

One of these quick release air hose connectors wasn’t working correctly the guy disconnected the air tool he was using and then whilst looking down the end poked at it with a small screw driver. Yep you guessed it something shot out and hit him just underneath his eye, it penetrated 18mm  into his eye socket. The bit was removed surgically.  :thumbup:

The good news is there was no damage to the eye – none whatsoever just a couple of stitches underneath his eye. He was extremely lucky.  :ddb:

Be careful.
 :beer:
DaveH
(Ex Leicester, Thurmaston, Ashby De La Zouch.)

Offline Pete.

Re: What's that in my eye?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 10:25:41 AM »
Daft bugger - I bet he won't try that again!

I too have had an operation to remove something from my eye. I was using a large stillson wrench to unscrew a heavy shaft which was zinc-plated. Where the stillson gripped the shaft it pinged a  spear-shaped piece of the plating end first deep into my right eye. Was about an 25mm long and stopped 2mm short of the retina. I had it removed at Moorfields Hospital - luckily I was working only half a mile from one of the best eye hospitals in the world! I was told by the surgeon that there was a very high probability that I would lose the sight in that eye. Luckily for me, the surgery was a complete success and my vision is still perfect, though I have to be very careful not to get a bang on the head of any sort lest the retina detach, because they had to use a tiny grappling tool to pull the piece out and it took out some of the eye jelly along with it.

Anyone's eyes watering yet? :D

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 01:57:22 PM »

Anyone's eyes watering yet? :D

Yes mine....They always do when I hear of eye injuries...

As a child I made several trips to the local infirmary for eye injuries including one to remove a shard of clinker that was lodged in my left eye after some kids at school were messing with the ash from the school boiler...( how many school boilers are coal/coke powered these days?  :D )
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 03:55:28 PM »
Before the days of safety glasses etc. I remember an apprentice cutting a keyway in a  bore, on a shaper.

The tool snapped, just as he was taking a look up the bore.  :loco:

Luckily it hit his cheekbone, hard! 

David D

David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 04:17:09 PM »
Hi
Lads
I lost my left eye 40 years ago in a air gun incident
It is no fun believe me
Not wearing safety glasses is just beyond belief
You can get a good pair for a tenner
Anuthing involving angle grinders ect i wear a face screen
John

Offline Pete.

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 05:52:04 PM »
And when casting bronze eh John :D

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 06:14:27 PM »
Glasses and a face screen  :bugeye: :bugeye:
Just shut your eyes for a few minutes
It is nice when you can open them again

Offline BiggerHammer

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 06:55:09 PM »
I went through a period of my eyes attracting anything small in the area. Face-shield and glasses.... would still manage to bounce something in from behind myself. Will not discuss working around the coal handling area of a local power plant. Though I probably could have fueled someones Shay with what the doc wiped out of my eyes  :lol:. Sighhhhh coal dust and an unusually windy day, so much fun.

An interesting one was I had somehow manages to get a single strand of fiberglass STUCK in my eye. I guess my blinking was sufficient to shear it off leaving the little bit stuck in the eye flush with the surface. One Dr. and one optometrist on separate visits (working away from home) and no joy. Got back home to my optometrist and was greeted by name by the secretary and asked which eye this time. She then said never mind I can tell from here. At this point I realized I had a problem... Just how often do you have to come in to the optometrist before they start calling you by name when you walk in and ask which eye and do I know whats in it  this time. Anyway the optometrist had a devil of a time finding that tiny bit of broken-off fiberglass.

Many other occurrences fortunately nothing that ever left more than a TINY bit of scar tissue, and only once at that.

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2012, 08:14:53 PM »
I can hardily endorse and have great things to say about this face shield.

Head gear is nice solid feeling to it it stays put on the head it coves up, parts that let the stuff in. If it looks familiar, they have been used in a number of movies as police and soldiers face shields. I have one that is in the wood lathe area. and one outside in the metal shop area. That way I have no excuse for not using it.

As a side note all my glasses that I only need for reading or close up work are all safety glasses. That way I don't have to worry about hunting a pair up the ones in the shops all have the wings on the sides.
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen