Author Topic: Pocket hole jig/fixture and first project  (Read 4611 times)

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
Pocket hole jig/fixture and first project
« on: August 25, 2012, 08:33:37 AM »
I have always disliked making anything that required a joint in wood. I am nothing more than a wood butcher! As what we called the hack carpenters when I was working. I have built a 24'x32' 2 story shop/garage by my self everything other than then the cement and shingles 12 in 14 pitch. But I am not a fine wood worker.
With all the joint choices wood working has, I always thought that the pocket hole jig would be the easiest to use.
So when the money from scrap and other things piled up to were I could by the complete master kit and a supply of the screws. I bought a KREG pocket hole kit. KREG TOOL COMPANY
I finally got enough time struck together to build the item and try out the system yesterday.

Wife finally decided that she really didn't like the faux brass day bed style frame in the spare room after all! 15 years I think. So the problem became need a bed frame and a box springs for the mattress sits on. Since she decided that the mattress was no good. I don't thing it had been slept on more than 5 or 6 times.  So now a days they no longer have box springs like in the olden times. They are contained in the mattress and it is a shell wooden box support structure! :doh:
They wanted about $99.00 for the mattress support.  Since I had a piece of underlayment that was under the mattress already the wood cost about $34.00, the master pocket hole kit cost well we won't go there! :bugeye:

I will say that watching the video's and reading the manuals. Gives one a basic idea, since there werea pile of cut offs. I practiced till I could get it down, to not splitting out the bottom of the hole front edge. I shortened the depth of the step drill a little.

Holes drilled and screwed together.

Finished frame, I will say that it went together with out problem. And it is tighter than anything of the same style construction, that I have built before.

Stapled the underlayment down, sanded all the edges and corners round to protect shins. Waiting for the wife's decision on what finish if any, or just the fabric fitted support cover over the top of it.

About the only thing I can say about the pocket hole jig is I should have bought one a long time ago. I will be adding a corrugated lexan roof over the back deck and intend to use the deck pocket hole jig set up for it! This idea is great.

I have no interest in the Kreg tool company other than a satisfied user.
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
Re: Pocket hole jig/fixture and first project
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 12:08:00 PM »
Just a slight addendum to the use of them from my OP.
Quote from:  PTsideshow
I practiced till I could get it down, to not splitting out the bottom of the hole front edge. I shortened the depth of the step drill a little.

When watching the video's I didn't notice that there was a gap between the bottom of the jig and the Master jig base, this is were one of those spacers would go they had it set by the markings on the side of the jig. And at the store they had they one demo unit it was at the bottom of the base holding fixture.
I just assumed that this was correct, since the one guy there said yes that is were it is supposed to be. It was set for ½" not ¾"

Well with the spacer set or the jig set at the proper impressed line in the plastic, it works great with little to no adjusting the depth!  :clap:
Hell sometimes it doesn't even help to read the instructions or watch the video's! :bugeye:  :ddb:  :palm:
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen